Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Improving hookup percentage using live bait

Message Subject: Improving hookup percentage using live bait
jonnysled
Posted 9/14/2010 8:35 AM (#459299 - in reply to #459297)
Subject: Re: Improving hookup percentage using live bait

i would buy into too much hardware stresses the garbage suckers we have to buy causing them to die earlier especially if the rig is placed in an unbalanced situation on their bodies. bottom line is that a musky will eat a lively rigged sucker ... heck, it will eat a creaper ... how much hardware we talkin' there?

reduce the stress on the sucker so it can swim and run when chased, use sharp hooks (gamakatsu for me) and keep them free (smart move kevin) ... a split ring, a rubber band/walleye hook/safety-pin, some seven strand and a hook (or two) and you're sucker fishing. i do enjoy reading about all the science and engineering though :0)

Tim Schmitz
Posted 9/14/2010 8:56 AM (#459301 - in reply to #459273)
Subject: RE: Improving hookup percentage using live bait

Tim Schmitz - 9/13/2010 10:11 PM

I also think J'ing a hook is a waste of a good hook! TS

What the hell now were letting guests sing in under other peoples names? While I'm honored that you chose my name to use as you must think using my name lends credibility to your statement I would suggest in the future using jonny sleds name people actualy know him.
The real Tim Schmitz.
jonnysled
Posted 9/14/2010 8:59 AM (#459302 - in reply to #459301)

yah tim but he's a jag-bag who can only catch fish on the internet.
Junkman
Posted 9/14/2010 9:01 AM (#459303 - in reply to #459299)

Last December 15th on Pewaukee Lake, I took great care to keep my suckers hooked in a very swimable fashion, the guy drifting next to me slamed his suckers against the side of the boat and dragged them "fresh dead" along the bottom. I watched him boat three fish before I had a bite. Really cold water made for really lazy feeders----you really just can't figure this stuff out all the time!
BNelson
Posted 9/14/2010 9:03 AM (#459304 - in reply to #459302)

don't use 90 lb seven strand Sledster....it can and will break....use the next lb up or 2....
lots of good rigs...Stealths, the ones we make on our own, Herbies...etc etc...
pick one, figure out how to rig it and have at it....

Edited by BNelson 9/14/2010 9:09 AM
jonnysled
Posted 9/14/2010 9:09 AM (#459305 - in reply to #459304)

again, it's been a good read and the best rig so-far i've seen is what is being described by kevin cochran ... sometimes simple is the smartest think to do. there's a ring right there in the hook that i previously had never thought of using for a purpose. that combined with the hooks being completely "free" is simple, logical and makes total sense.
muskihntr
Posted 9/14/2010 9:33 AM (#459308 - in reply to #459295)

jonnysled - 9/14/2010 7:43 AM
at least the guest is using his sign-in to debate now though.

If your referring to me, sorry to burst your bubble but your wrong, and im sure the moderators can confirm that for you. I simply wanted to comment on the success rate of our own products and let people know that there is nothing wrong with a system that uses a bent hook. It seemed this thread was trying to discredit them. We have great success with them, just as Brad does with his regular trebles, and Kevin does with his saftey pins. Lots of options for people to try out and use what they like.

Nuff said on my part. Good Luck sucker fishing this fall whichever rig you decide to use. I can be contacted thru PM, my website, or email if anyone has any questions or comments.
ToothyCritter
Posted 9/14/2010 2:46 PM (#459357 - in reply to #458632)

Would any of you consider a larger J-hook as a sub for a treble on the furthest back hook, or for that matter even the one behind the suckers head? My thinking is a hook like you would see on the top of a Bulldog, less points of resistance vs. the treble hook. I also like the saftey pin idea and will give it a try. I'm going to keep tinkering around until I find what works best for me.. I want to make my own rigs, that I know for sure. I sure do enjoy working with all the little pieces of hardware and creating my own stuff. The Fluro is expensive, but it goes further than I thought it would. I made up a few leaders with some beads & blades positioned half way up just to see if it works. These are strictly for sucker rods at this point.

I'm not so certain on the "muskie can see the hardware" thoughts. These crazy fish when ready, will eat a piece of chicken. But there are days when I'm certain it could matter, more often in super clear water I would expect.

Edited by ToothyCritter 9/14/2010 3:06 PM
BNelson
Posted 9/14/2010 3:05 PM (#459358 - in reply to #459357)

yup KFed your rigs will be in the mail tomorrow....send me the pics of the big fattys that eat the meat...
John, I wasn't trying to discredit the J hook thing at all...i was simply trying to figure out why guys would do that.now I guess i kinda know... looking fw to draggin the meat soon.
sworrall
Posted 9/14/2010 9:22 PM (#459418 - in reply to #458632)

Couple different guests, neither has ever registered and signed in. Fight nice.
Buckeyemusky
Posted 9/16/2010 7:23 PM (#459652 - in reply to #459263)

kevin cochran - 9/13/2010 9:24 PM

I love Brad's rigs and have been using them since last year. I don't want any bends on my trebles. In fact, I dont want any barbs even in the sucker. I run small safety pins through the eye of the hook and into the sucker. They break free and all the barbs of the treble can easily go into the mouth of the fish. The treble is laying on the outside of the sucker and not penetrating it at all. The safety pin is less harmful to the sucker and they seem to last longer. We did very well last year using this method and using Brad's rigs. Hopefully he is making me more rigs this week.

I was at a pro bass shop last weekend looking for some hooks. They had some big catfish hooks that are made to be used with liver. They had a long shank and two barbs instead of three, and a safety pin type fastener where the third treble would be.

Looked to me like they would work good on a qs rig, just slid the pin under the suckers skin and away you go. The shanks were about twice as long as a standard J hook, looks like they'd give ya more leverage when you went to release the sucker munchers.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 9/16/2010 9:52 PM (#459683 - in reply to #458632)

I do agree with the use of a stiffer rod. I use something thats inexpensive and pretty stout. often fishing with suckers when its very cold and hate braking expensive gr. rods when there really is no reason to have been useing one.

Pfeiff
pepsiboy
Posted 9/17/2010 3:51 AM (#459703 - in reply to #458632)

guys,i have never try musky with sucker but last winter i was lucky enough to caught 4 with a big golden shiner hooked with 1 (1/0)treble near the dorsal.hook set have been made asap
my question is why some guys are using 2 trebles
Mr Musky
Posted 9/17/2010 6:24 PM (#459815 - in reply to #458632)

We use big suckers here in Wisconsin. Some guys use 22 to 24". I prefer 14 to 16"s. Two trebles just up your odds for a hook up when you cant see how the fish has your sucker.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)