Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> embarassing mods to baits

Message Subject: embarassing mods to baits
barbless-bob
Posted 8/6/2010 2:03 PM (#453747)
Subject: embarassing mods to baits

anyone modify/ mutulate a bait and end up with a useless stick with hooks and an ego knocked down 2 notches??
i did some mods this wk and will be taking them out during next wks holidays
hoping for some kind of positive result
i installed a colorado blade on the tail end of a sledge and a bobbie bait
hoping this will attract a musky, it's been 3 yrs no hits .
i think i can safely say they don't like it
as small as that mod was it was a complete failure
i've mod the blades on spinner baits only to have new ones installed to save face

musky fishing what else can i say
bob
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 8/6/2010 2:21 PM (#453749 - in reply to #453747)
Subject: RE: embarassing mods to baits

With the right amount of beer,anything is possible.You have crossed the line when you take the front half of a Burmek and tied a bulldawg tail to the back....
momuskies
Posted 8/6/2010 3:45 PM (#453765 - in reply to #453747)
Subject: Re: embarassing mods to baits

You should have seen what Fred did to a Reef hawg twist a couple of falls ago. Pretty spectacular.
muskydeceiver
Posted 8/6/2010 5:12 PM (#453782 - in reply to #453747)

Hahahahaha
gus_webb
Posted 8/6/2010 5:36 PM (#453788 - in reply to #453782)

Well dangit! Now I want a half tony burmek/half bulldawg...
Most of my really special failures have come from trying to build from scratch in the basement, though... Crankbaits that don't crank, blades that just mess things up, weird woodbait/bucktail hybrids... it's amazing how many bad ideas one person can come up with sometimes!
Emptynet
Posted 8/6/2010 8:13 PM (#453804 - in reply to #453747)

Ya mean like sawing off the back 2" of a Pig & gluing on a BIG twistertail? It sinks slower than a Hellhound and has bigger tail than a softail Phantom. It may even see the water this year.
Dave
Fishwizard
Posted 8/7/2010 1:35 AM (#453825 - in reply to #453747)

This isn't really a mod, but I tried to make a muskie sized 9" minnow-spin about a decade ago. Boy, did it suck. It seemed so easy when I was building it and putting it together.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_1...

You can really put a lot of action into the little ones, so I figured heck I'll just make one bigger. I'm sure many, significantly more talented bait makers than myself might have pulled it off, but not I.

Ryan

I'm not sure if this question is more philosophical or literal, but shouldn't there be a way to make any bait squirrely?

woodieb8
Posted 8/7/2010 5:51 AM (#453828 - in reply to #453747)

i have swam a few aborted attempts over the decades. the cool thing is occasionly you can hit on a winner. musky fishermen can adapt. thats exactly how baits are created.
musky-skunk
Posted 8/9/2010 1:19 PM (#454095 - in reply to #453747)

I don't make much lately and I have had some very succesful bucktails and spinnerbaits but my jerbaits have and my always be awful. A few years ago I had the brilliant idea of putting maribou on a suick. I cut grooves in a brand new storm colored suick (black back, orange belly, gold on the side). I wrapped the length of the bait with black maribou on the top, orange on the bottom and gold tinsel on the sides. When I got done it looked amazing... when I put it in the water it looked like something a 15" pike wouldn't even hit... epic flop. So if any of you are looking for someone to help you render a brand new suick absolutely worthless send me a pm
dtaijo174
Posted 8/9/2010 4:31 PM (#454141 - in reply to #453747)

I ruined my favorite jerkbait this year. I was adding lead to her and the lead just wouldn't press in. Instead of drilling with a bigger bit, i just got a bigger hammer. Bad decision
ChadG
Posted 8/9/2010 9:17 PM (#454204 - in reply to #453747)

I have ruined two that were catching fish. One was an Ernie that made the right moves without weight. My favorite crank by a long ways. A long winter made me think I should drill holes and add oil so it would suspend, ruined, now hangs on the wall. The other is a Eddie bait that I modified good once and it worked. I thought I should clean up the weighted area and now it won't run at all. Slowly learning to leave what isn't broke alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! Oh just remembered trying to bend the wire into a fish catching Shallow invader and breaking it. It hangs beside the Ernie.

Edited by ChadG 8/9/2010 9:19 PM
Schuler
Posted 8/9/2010 9:21 PM (#454207 - in reply to #453747)

I tried to turn a broken burmek into a jig....attaching a bulldawg would have been a better idea.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)