Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Let's keep fishing. I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for a while, yet, your Eminence.
- (Added by: GMan)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> RPM question

Message Subject: RPM question
Posted 8/3/2010 10:37 PM (#453309)
Subject: RPM question

I am currently running a drying wheel that turns at about 2 rpms. I am applying 2-3 coats of e-tex but they are extremely thin. When I try to apply thicker, the e-tex mounds up or drips off. I would like to get it thicker. Will faster rpms allow me to apply the e-tex heavier?
Thanks
chico
Posted 8/4/2010 1:17 AM (#453325 - in reply to #453309)
Subject: Re: RPM question

2rpm is slow, most people run 6-8 I'd have said.

Why put it on thicker, multi thin coats are better than one thick one.
bowhunter29
Posted 8/4/2010 6:35 AM (#453334 - in reply to #453309)

Stick with the thin coats. You may begin to experience problems when you go to a heavier coat. Etex does not like to be put on heavy.

Better yet, use a plain lure blank that you don't mind ruining and experiment with some heavier coats to see what happens.

jeremy
h2os2t
Posted 8/4/2010 9:39 AM (#453357 - in reply to #453334)

2 RPM is what I run and is plenty fast for me and I do 50 at a time sometimes. Going faster would probably not solve the problem and could make it worse. Chico and bowhunter are both right, I put on 3 to 4 coats to get what I want. If you are only doing a couple of baits you could let it set up a little before putting it on then it would not move much. You do have to be careful not to let it set to much though, it is all a temperature game. There are ways to play with the set time like heat before and after along with cooling down after mixing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)