Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> History channel/monster quest and muskie!!

Message Subject: History channel/monster quest and muskie!!
davep
Posted 7/29/2008 7:56 PM (#328824)
Subject: History channel/monster quest and muskie!!

i was flipping through the channels and noticed the history channel series "monster quest" is profiling fish. They are talkign about the jaws found in Wisconsin (in progress so i dont know what size they came up with). They have prfiled a supposed 14 foor lake trout out of point lake canada and 12 foot alligator gar in Texas. Pretty cool so far. I am typing during a commercial.
davep
Posted 7/29/2008 8:01 PM (#328827 - in reply to #328824)
Subject: RE: History channel/monster quest and muskie!!

Based on "monster quest" The jaws found came from a muskie "possibly" 6 feet long and over 70lbs. Although, Monster quest used "Pike" and "Muskie" interchangeably (is that a word?). Entertaining none the less.
kreegz
Posted 7/29/2008 10:35 PM (#328864 - in reply to #328824)
Subject: Re: History channel/monster quest and muskie!!

the show is replaying at 11pm on the history channel
JRedig
Posted 7/29/2008 11:17 PM (#328874 - in reply to #328824)

The show has a good intent, but tend to be very off base on their "discoveries".
MuskieMike
Posted 7/30/2008 9:44 AM (#328926 - in reply to #328824)

I DVR'd it, can't stay up til 11 pm anymore. Man, I'm gettin old.
davep
Posted 7/30/2008 3:22 PM (#328997 - in reply to #328824)

I agree. While it is entertaining. I still have yet to see a true "monster". Like the 14 foot lake trout. Although the alligator gar was cool, but not a "monster"
CM_IA
Posted 7/30/2008 4:38 PM (#329012 - in reply to #328824)

I thought the guy claimed the laker at about 16 feet. On In-Fisherman there is a replay that happens fairly frequently where he catches the largest alligator gar on film, i think any fish over 8 feet qualifies as a monster, especially with all those teeth. The whole muskie jaw seems like they probably can only get within a few inches of the overall size and comparing it to Spray's replica isn't too exact. Still huge though.
why don't they ever accomplish any groundbreaking proof on that show and only increase speculation?
kreegz
Posted 7/30/2008 5:05 PM (#329016 - in reply to #328824)

i laughed very hard when the show says... "according to _____ the fish was about 14 feet long... about as long as the boat... " it was most likely huge.. but it couldn't have been THAT big... i liked the giant fake lure with cameras they made to see the lake trout...

Edited by kreegz 7/30/2008 5:07 PM
Trolling Thunder
Posted 7/30/2008 5:10 PM (#329020 - in reply to #329016)

kreegz - 7/30/2008 6:05 PM

i laughed very hard when the show says... "according to _____ the fish was about 14 feet long... about as long as the boat... " it was most likely huge.. but it couldn't have been THAT big... i liked the giant fake lure with cameras they made to see the lake trout...

My thoughts exactly!
davep
Posted 7/30/2008 7:03 PM (#329040 - in reply to #328824)

Ya gotta admit it was a cool lure though! A crankbait with a built in camera? Sweet! No 14-16 footers though.
Mike
Posted 8/11/2010 9:49 AM (#454521 - in reply to #328824)

Yeah,
I google'd this on the internet just looking for who else found this episode to be sensationalism and slightly fantastical. I've never quite heard of "the fish of ten thousand casts" as a "monster" that attacks children's feet in the shallows. I'm from Wisconsin, and I have heard of one strike that occurred when someone was releasing a perch, and the northern pike struck that individual's hand. I am sure this was the northern tunnel visioned in on the flailing perch and nothing more. But neither myself or anyone else I know ever lost appendages in combined decades of skinny dipping, so I have to call this one B.S. and knock down my view of the history channel a notch. The day I see a whitetail deer cross the Chippewa River and get taken down by a "monster" I'll quit canoeing and fish from shore :)
xMU5KIEx
Posted 8/11/2010 9:53 AM (#454523 - in reply to #328824)

If i remeber corretly didnt the jaws come from the chippewa flowage?
leech lake strain
Posted 8/11/2010 1:11 PM (#454554 - in reply to #328824)

I remember once walking along a beach and finding a little bit of remains from a northern and the jaws looked just huge, I thought for sure it was a giant northern 20 some lbs by the look of the jaws. found the rest of it turned out it was maybe 10lbs. the jaws were bent out and dried like that, they looked just huge though! I wonder how much of there measurement stuff like that went on with this fish?
quest 2
Posted 8/11/2010 1:28 PM (#454560 - in reply to #328824)

Here's my question when does Minn. musky season end.
Did you see the size of that hole they cut in Mills Lacs I think it was a little bigger than the regs would allow and when they were on the river with that sucker rig camera thing it sure looked like it was out if season to me. Were was the warden
cuz if it was you or me I'm sure there would have been heavy fines involved.
I'm thinking of heading up to Minn in Jan/Feb. with my video camera and claiming to be filming a show called Monster Muskies that Kill People and just have at it.
I forget the name of the guide why would he be associated with this to me it was all a big joke.
Posted 8/11/2010 6:55 PM (#454628 - in reply to #454560)

Jim Lindner and Lee Tauchen were on Mille Lacs - it was kind of ridiculous and over-hyped, but made me laugh.
fish4musky1
Posted 8/11/2010 8:17 PM (#454647 - in reply to #328824)

It was on last night, it made me laugh quite a bit, even my gf knew most of the stuff was BS.
ulbian
Posted 8/11/2010 9:03 PM (#454661 - in reply to #454523)

xMU5KIEx - 8/11/2010 10:53 AM

On the first episode they were from the Chip. When it first aired I was living in NC and was up early to go to work. That episode is on, I'm in the other room and heard a voice talking that was awfully familiar. Sure as heck there's a good buddy of mine, his wife and kids talking about the set of jaws they found. I was stunned. I woke up my gf at the time because it was cool to see Jack on TV. She wasn't amused. A few months later we split up, her cat had feline herpes...but I digress... They used maybe half a percent of the interviews they did with them which is typical for a tv spot.

For a fireworks show over the weekend of the 4th I had a friend of mine with me and it was before dark so we motored up to Jack's dock to grab some beer. I started giving his son grief about being a world famous contributor to an award winning History Channel show and he just went on and on about how badly they ripped apart their interviews as if himself, his sister, his mom and dad were a bunch of yokels who had never heard of a pike or muskie before. The reality of it is that they all have caught numerous fish, numerous big fish so they know what they are talking about.
JRedig
Posted 8/12/2010 8:38 AM (#454758 - in reply to #454661)

ulbian - 8/11/2010 9:03 PM

xMU5KIEx - 8/11/2010 10:53 AM

On the first episode they were from the Chip. When it first aired I was living in NC and was up early to go to work. That episode is on, I'm in the other room and heard a voice talking that was awfully familiar. Sure as heck there's a good buddy of mine, his wife and kids talking about the set of jaws they found. I was stunned. I woke up my gf at the time because it was cool to see Jack on TV. She wasn't amused. A few months later we split up, her cat had feline herpes...but I digress... They used maybe half a percent of the interviews they did with them which is typical for a tv spot.

For a fireworks show over the weekend of the 4th I had a friend of mine with me and it was before dark so we motored up to Jack's dock to grab some beer. I started giving his son grief about being a world famous contributor to an award winning History Channel show and he just went on and on about how badly they ripped apart their interviews as if himself, his sister, his mom and dad were a bunch of yokels who had never heard of a pike or muskie before. The reality of it is that they all have caught numerous fish, numerous big fish so they know what they are talking about.

It's funny and pathetic, my dad was interviewed for one of the episodes and came away with the exact same view/remorse that they did. They used and twisted what he said to support their stupid idea. How does a show like this even get funding?
Jim K
Posted 8/12/2010 9:03 PM (#454909 - in reply to #328824)

I saw that episode a while back. The lake trout took it beyond absurd.

I must be getting old. I remember when MTV showed music videos, The discovery Chanel had shows about nature, and the History channel had programming featuring events that actually happened.

" River Monsters" is a series that has been around a couple seasons. They will probably get around to doing an episode on muskies sooner or later. Maybe they will try to get some real evidence, and use some underwater footage. That would be a lot better
The Real Lee Lane
Posted 8/12/2010 9:08 PM (#454912 - in reply to #328824)

a laketrout 14 ft long would weigh over 1000lbs!!!! someone was smoking switchgrass with Harlan and Earl behind the tool shed!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)