Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Does this make sense?

Message Subject: Does this make sense?
wdykstra
Posted 8/7/2010 3:33 PM (#453855)
Subject: Does this make sense?

This past LOTW trip my dad caught a fish that we properly named the dorkfish. Three years ago some of you may recall the muskiefirst picture of a kid with a mohawk holding his largest musky to date a 48 inch fish. ThisĀ  musky was named the dorkfish then due to its goofy looking snout. This year however, off the same spot my dad caught the same fish and it was only 47 inches?!! Does that make any sense, I just figured it was a different fish from the same gene pool, After comparing photos and matching stripes it was without a doubt the same fish!Do they shrink after their prime? I thought maybe the snout grew inwards. I will try to post some pix, the problem is that we had a novice camera man ( 82 years old) who didn't get a picture of the fish beyond being pulled out the net.

Edited by wdykstra 8/7/2010 3:35 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 8/7/2010 4:17 PM (#453858 - in reply to #453855)
Subject: RE: Does this make sense?

Hey, Don't let it get you down. I don't know of any scientific studies that prove fish get bigger every year - in fact they may get skinner and smaller. Also definitely don't bring the 82yr old cameraman into the pictire. Pictures of muskies are deceptive. Big fat muskie's look smaller when held by b!g f@t fisherman.

I have done an analysis of MF post's over the years, and have concluded that: ~ 4 out of 3 muskie fisherman have problems with fractions.

So if it was 48" three(3) years ago, and ~47" this year, it may be a number rounding problem or failure to properly measure it or it could be a that someone didn't or did pinch the tail or she could have been on the North Beach Diet.....

I wouldn't worry about it! Great job on both angler's part, i.e., catching same fish three years apart is pretty impressive!

Have fun!
Al
Targa01
Posted 8/7/2010 4:18 PM (#453859 - in reply to #453855)
Subject: Re: Does this make sense?

It could come down to how it was measured. Either with a measure stick along side in the water, bump board, seamstress tape being run down the fish, etc... can vary in results by that much. Not a big deal as its still a nice fish.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/7/2010 4:43 PM (#453860 - in reply to #453855)

I think its called osteoporofish.
Slow Rollin
Posted 8/7/2010 5:05 PM (#453863 - in reply to #453855)

for the most part fish overall seem to be skinier this year than in the past few years. but never heard of fish shrinking, i would assume its possible though.

Edited by Slow Rollin 8/7/2010 5:06 PM
wdykstra
Posted 8/7/2010 6:48 PM (#453873 - in reply to #453863)

The measuring is what is in question to me a little but I don't know, I wasn't there for either. in response to the fish being skinnier this year I would say the opposite, The muskies we caught on LOTW this year were stronger and fatter than I have seen in midsummer fish up there, maybe just a matter of body of water I guess. Thanks guys!
esox50
Posted 8/7/2010 8:21 PM (#453875 - in reply to #453873)

Indeterminate growth is a characteristic of most fishes. Essentially, fish never stop growing but once they pass sexual maturity the energy that was previously allocated to growing to a size where reproduction would be possible is now allocated to achieving maximum body size and overall fitness. So, in my opinion it is impossible for that fish to have shrunk, but was more likely an error in measuring (very common...).

LOTS of literature on indeterminate growth in animals, including fish.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 8/9/2010 11:41 AM (#454070 - in reply to #453875)

I don't think they could get shorter unless there has been physical damage to jaw or tail. Most likely error(s) in measurement. They definitely can get skinner. Still pretty nice fish.

Have fun!
Al

4 Out Of 3 People Have Trouble With Fractions

The National Muskie Sarcasm Society
Like We Really Need Your Support

Edited by ESOX Maniac 8/9/2010 12:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread