Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> dogs in the boat?

Message Subject: dogs in the boat?
tuffy1
Posted 6/11/2010 8:46 AM (#444983 - in reply to #444400)
Subject: Re: dogs in the boat?

Cowboyhannah - 6/7/2010 10:07 PM

Oh, yeah, if you really want to see him get excited, just say, "Let's go fishin'!!!" and he runs to the truck...can't beat that with a stick.

Mine does the same thing. You ask him if he wants to go fishing, and he's sitting by the door of the truck waiting to get in.

My pooch has been hooked once in the boat (had one bait I hung on the front of the boat as we were getting out, and he found it. Luckilly it was in and out and we cut it out quick). He hangs his head on the side of the boat watching every cast, and gets excited when we hook 'skis but just lays there if we get bass or pike. I kept him tied up to the butt seat the first few trips, which ended up with him jumping out and getting his leg tangled in the leash. Bad news. Tore the ligaments off of his back leg. Luckilly he was only 10 mos. old and the vet fixed him up good.

Now he is a very good dog in the boat and knows where he can go and where he can't. Teach them the rules and they'll follow them well. Hitting the water with him after work tonight, weather dependent (may get some storms). He's got some good luck too when he's in the boat, and gives me a look like, "dude, get over it, it's just a fish" when I loose them.
FYGR8
Posted 6/11/2010 10:03 AM (#444998 - in reply to #444288)
Subject: RE: dogs in the boat?

Hey Curlytail,
My Springer will be joining me video trolling. She is currently 14 weeks old and very eager to go with me whenever I head out the door.
FYGR8
Posted 6/11/2010 3:04 PM (#445049 - in reply to #444288)

Here is "Willow" my filming assistant.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(100_4869.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_4869.JPG (53KB - 89 downloads)
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/11/2010 3:29 PM (#445053 - in reply to #444288)

I LOVE Willow!!
Herb_b
Posted 6/11/2010 3:40 PM (#445059 - in reply to #444288)

We have two cats. I'd bring them with, but I don't use live bait for Muskies.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/11/2010 9:33 PM (#445118 - in reply to #444288)

+1 for Willow. That dog looks like he's got a handle on things...cool character.
sledneck68
Posted 6/11/2010 11:47 PM (#445125 - in reply to #444288)

It took my Weim one little poke of a hook and she had everything figured out. She is by far my best fishing partner....now only if i could train her to work a net
Ryan Marlowe
Posted 6/12/2010 8:37 AM (#445133 - in reply to #445125)

Does not ever release any info ....
kelz
Posted 6/12/2010 9:41 AM (#445137 - in reply to #445133)

our dog loves to be in the boat and as small as she is i take her all the time except when its cold. I also throw in a old towel for her to lay on under the counsel along with some treats and water.

Edited by kelz 6/12/2010 9:49 AM

(06-04-09_1538.jpg)

(06-04-09_1538.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 06-04-09_1538.jpg (164KB - 92 downloads)
Attachments 06-04-09_1538.jpg (164KB - 106 downloads)
esoxfly
Posted 6/12/2010 10:46 AM (#445146 - in reply to #444983)

tuffy1 - 6/11/2010 9:46 AM

Cowboyhannah - 6/7/2010 10:07 PM

Oh, yeah, if you really want to see him get excited, just say, "Let's go fishin'!!!" and he runs to the truck...can't beat that with a stick.

Mine does the same thing. You ask him if he wants to go fishing, and he's sitting by the door of the truck waiting to get in.

My pooch has been hooked once in the boat (had one bait I hung on the front of the boat as we were getting out, and he found it. Luckilly it was in and out and we cut it out quick). He hangs his head on the side of the boat watching every cast, and gets excited when we hook 'skis but just lays there if we get bass or pike. I kept him tied up to the butt seat the first few trips, which ended up with him jumping out and getting his leg tangled in the leash. Bad news. Tore the ligaments off of his back leg. Luckilly he was only 10 mos. old and the vet fixed him up good.

Now he is a very good dog in the boat and knows where he can go and where he can't. Teach them the rules and they'll follow them well. Hitting the water with him after work tonight, weather dependent (may get some storms). He's got some good luck too when he's in the boat, and gives me a look like, "dude, get over it, it's just a fish" when I loose them. :)

HAHA! Mine as well. He knows my boat bag, rain gear and I think even my fishing clothes because he starts going berzerk when I starte getting ready. He gets to hop in whenever we come off the big motor (I always ensure I come off plane well away from where I'll be fishing) and gets to cool off. #*^@ dog even wants in the water in December.

He's tethered witha quick release and his life jacket when we're on plane, but fishing, he's sans life jacket and free to roam. He doesn't like the cast though. He stays out of my casting arc, which if fine by me. But I don't know why. He's never been hit or hooked.

(P7040072.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P7040072.JPG (149KB - 93 downloads)
FYGR8
Posted 6/12/2010 4:21 PM (#445164 - in reply to #444288)

Willow got here first video trolling run today and did very well. She is very calm in the boat and just curious to whats going on around her. When she gets bored, she just curls up on her bed. (she is now 14 weeks...other pic was when she came home @ 7 weeks)

(100_5021.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_5021.JPG (76KB - 88 downloads)
hammerhandle
Posted 6/15/2010 7:26 PM (#445759 - in reply to #444288)

Thanks for all the replies. Here's a couple of pics from last weekend. It's been working out just fine.

Bo

Edited by hammerhandle 6/15/2010 7:32 PM

(buster musky.jpg)

(buster boat .jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments buster musky.jpg (32KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments buster boat .jpg (31KB - 98 downloads)
Musky
Posted 6/17/2010 10:51 AM (#446021 - in reply to #444288)

My dog loves being on the pontoon, but I just cant get him in the fishing boat. One day....one day haha
Cast
Posted 6/17/2010 5:00 PM (#446098 - in reply to #444288)

Get a white miniature poodle. Blue ribbons in the hair. A periwinkle sweater on her back. She'll do fine.
momuskies
Posted 6/17/2010 5:29 PM (#446104 - in reply to #444288)

My dad has a 15 year old sheltie that has been fishing in more states than most people. I've got lots of pictures of him nipping at fish. He went with us every year up to Canada except the last couple. He just can't handle it. Doing that #*^@ getting old thing. We took him out a couple of weeks ago for a couple of hours-he was excited, but just couldn't handle it. Pretty sad. I remember the first time we ever took him on the boat. We were on Lake Barkley in Kentucky. Launched the boat and he just walked right off the back deck. Last time that ever happened. He hates the water, but loved being on the water. He's gotten a couple of hooks. Worst was a shallow raider right in the pad of his paw on Cave Run. Man, that dog would watch a topwater all day long. Just stare at it seemingly mesmerized. He also was a great trout fishing dog. Just follow me and my dad up or down the river. Whenever he heard splashing, he came running and had to nip every fish then try to watch it as it disappeared.

This was also a dog that never chewed anything. One time my dad and I didn't take him for a weekend for some reason. Came back to find Cody had jumped up and gotten my dad's Citizen watch off the night stand and chewed the band to shreds. Coincidence? I'll try to dig up some pics of the good ole times.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)