Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Navionics Platinum vs. Premium

Reply New post
Message Subject: Navionics Platinum vs. Premium
Matty
Posted 6/16/2010 3:14 PM (#445892)
Subject: Navionics Platinum vs. Premium

Hi Guys,

I have purchased an HDS unit and am now going to buy a Navionics Hotmaps card. I am in Canada so will be buying the Canada card. I was all set to purchase the Platinum card but have heard from the local electronics guru that the Platinum card is very slow and I should just buy the Premium card. This is disappointing because I would love to use the card with the extra HD features. Does anyone have any experience with the Platinum card and have you had any issues with sluggish performance?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
esoxfly
Posted 6/16/2010 5:47 PM (#445919 - in reply to #445892)
Subject: Re: Navionics Platinum vs. Premium

If you want the Platinum, go with the Platinum. People will get on here and contradict me, but the HDS in general can be sluggish. Not always, but if you're used to the speed and response of an LCX, you'll see what I mean. They're sluggish. They work, and I love my HDS8, but it's sluggish on the Chart side of the house. Sonar and LSS aren't too bad, but the Chart can be downright frustrating.

As far as cards, I started with an 09 Premium, and they did not play nicely together. I went through THREE units before I thought about swapping cards. It would zoom in, drop the card data and go to base map, lock up and then reboot. Every time. It was ridiculous. Then a pro bass buddy of mine suggested upgrading to Platinum+. Not the Hot Maps, the actual marine charts, and voila, she works like a champ. I had two Prem cards and neither worked, and they didn't work in the display models at West Marine or Cabela's, so there was something to it. Put in the Plat+ and she's good to go. And that was with the current upgrades. They may have changed the '10 cards and they may work fine. And I know guys running other Premium chips in HDS with no issues, so hell, it may've been a North chip issue. I've not ran the Plat Hot Maps, but the Platinum+ has more data and info (two cards for Eastern GL) than the HM, so I can only assume the Plat HM would be as fast or faster....the HDS being the limiting factor.

Bottom line, HDS has been sluggish for me no matter what card I've had in it. If you want the Plat HM, go for it and realize it's not the card slowing it down, it's the unit itself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)