Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Zebra Mussels

Message Subject: Zebra Mussels
MuskieMike
Posted 6/22/2010 10:42 PM (#446853)
Subject: Zebra Mussels

What is the proper precautions to take after fishing in zebra mussel infested waters?
gus_webb
Posted 6/22/2010 11:30 PM (#446862 - in reply to #446853)
Subject: Re: Zebra Mussels

Depends... did you fill the livewell? If so, I was told to fill the livewell with water and a capfull of bleach, empty it, and repeat. If you have a pressure washer, running that over the hull wouldn't be a bad idea... But hopefully others will chime in with what they know.

Edited by gus_webb 6/22/2010 11:31 PM
Kuhly
Posted 6/23/2010 9:36 AM (#446908 - in reply to #446853)

Here's what the WDNR says, it's a bit long winded and has info for those who keep their boat on the water as well as transporting your boat after being in infested waters (Page 4).

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/publications/pdfs/protectyourboat.pdf
happy hooker
Posted 6/23/2010 11:06 AM (#446933 - in reply to #446908)

I think at one time they were going to require pressure washers on tournaments held here in Minn on zebra mussel waters so when you took your tourney boat out you would hose off the hull,,thats what a tournament promoter told me,,but they never have or yet started to require it,,pain in the ### if they ever require it imagine how much that would tie up the landing

Edited by happy hooker 6/23/2010 11:14 AM
MuskieMike
Posted 6/23/2010 3:05 PM (#447005 - in reply to #446853)
Subject: RE: Zebra Mussels

I never filled the livewell, pumps don't even work, and I spent all last weekend washing waxing and buffing the boat? I would hate to have to pressure wash all the wax off I just put on?
Muskie Treats
Posted 6/23/2010 3:15 PM (#447007 - in reply to #446853)

The big thing is to empty your boat of any water from the body of water in question. Ideally you'll let the boat dry for 5+ days, but you can also wash out your bilge with soap and hot water. Bleach also works, but there's other issues with that.
MuskieMike
Posted 6/23/2010 3:20 PM (#447008 - in reply to #446853)

It's been 10 days .... Won't be on the water until Saturday ..... Which will be two weeks ..... I don't really want to run bleach through my bilge ......
Will Schultz
Posted 6/23/2010 3:27 PM (#447010 - in reply to #447008)

I wonder if they were planning to pressure wash all the waterfowl too? It's nearly impossible to stop this type of invasive. VHS on the other hand seems to be pretty easy to stop from moving around inland waters, just follow the rules/guidelines.
happy hooker
Posted 6/23/2010 3:28 PM (#447011 - in reply to #447008)

if you dump bleach in the water rev the motor in neutral then slamit in gear will you do a burnout,,like we used to do with muscle cars in the 70's
MuskieMike
Posted 6/23/2010 3:29 PM (#447013 - in reply to #446853)

If you had to do a neutral drop to turn em' over ... you didn't have amuscle car ............
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/23/2010 3:30 PM (#447014 - in reply to #447008)

Clean mud, debris, plants etc. from boat
Drain water from bilge, motor, livewell, etc.
Dry 7 days in the summer, 18 days in fall, and 30 days in winter or freeze for 3 days. This includes anchor ropes, storage lockers and the like.

You could also pressure wash it with scalding water but my guess is you don't have access to a pressure washer that can spray your entire boat with 140 plus degree water.

Slamr
Posted 6/23/2010 11:03 PM (#447091 - in reply to #446853)

Since I have fished Lake Michigan the last three yeares and have never done any of those precautions...I must have infected all of the Fox Chain, a good deal of N.WI., the Webster lakes and Eagle Lake in Canada.

If you see a zebra mussel of the big island on Webster, blame me. If you catch a gobie on the Moen chain, my doing. If an Asian carp bonks your girlfriend in the head when you're casting Strawberry Island, my bad.
mnmusky101
Posted 6/26/2010 10:18 PM (#447461 - in reply to #446853)

you need to powerwash your boat after
North of 8
Posted 6/28/2010 6:33 PM (#447738 - in reply to #447461)

The other thing to do is to really check your trailer closely. At a tournament held this weekend on the chain where we have a cottage, three of the 33 boats checked by volunteers at the launch had aquatic vegetation stuck to their trailers. Since this was in Oneida County where you can be fined $250, even if the plants are native and not invasive, this is a concern. The volunteer said the guys were very surprised and a little embarrassed but thanked the volunteers for checking. Everyone's boats were clean and all knew the guidelines.

The couple times I have volunteered this year, I have been very impressed by how clean the boats and trailers have been going in and how the guys are really good about draining the bilge and live wells before leaving. I always volunteer to help them clean any weeds that might have got on their trailer when they loaded and everyone has been very gracious. A couple years ago, this was not the case with some of the fisherman.
pitch'n
Posted 6/29/2010 7:58 PM (#447969 - in reply to #446853)

I SINK VEE CAN STOP THEM IF VEE MAKE ALL BOAT OWNERS GET CHECKED BUY WOLUNTTEERS UNT THEN FINE THEM!! VEE MUST ALSO FINE THE DUCKS UNT DA GEESE!!---Come on now lets just take the time to check our boats ...
North of 8
Posted 6/29/2010 8:49 PM (#447975 - in reply to #447969)

Ideally, that is what would happen, people would check their own boats and trailers and no one would have to volunteer to check boats at landings. I know that we can't stop the geese and ducks but we can take some responsibility for what we can control. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the fisherman the last couple of years have been great. Most of them have seen what happens when milfoil takes over a lake and don't like it.

One thing I don't understand is that on a couple of occassions I have seen muskys while standing around the landing. The next boat in who is going musky fishing I tell them where I saw the fish, they thank me and then take off for the other side of the lake. Last year on a misty day I was stretching my legs and happened to look at a weed edge just as a musky rolled, maybe 20 ft away. Could not tell exact length but it was a hog. Huge girth. Five minutes later two really nice guys show up to pre fish for a tourney. Told they just where I saw the fish, told them how thick it was. They seemed interested but just like other times, they cranked up the Opti and took off. Sure would have liked to seen them try a couple casts with a Top Raider.
CASTING55
Posted 6/29/2010 9:11 PM (#447978 - in reply to #447975)

if you do all that what about the animals that fly lake to lake spreading everything the dnr thinks we are spreading,can`t stop that.
North of 8
Posted 6/30/2010 8:15 PM (#448151 - in reply to #447978)

So, do you propose we do nothing? That is the alternative, right? The other thing is that it is a lot easier for eurasion milfoil to hitch a ride on a boat trailer than it is on the slick legs of a duck.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/1/2010 12:12 AM (#448188 - in reply to #446853)

Funny, many complain about the Great Lakes being destroyed because the Army Crops of Engineers wont close the locks which could stop an invasive species from moving in, yet ask guys to take a few minutes to clean their boat and it's like asking them to sacrifice their first born.
Kuhly
Posted 7/1/2010 12:44 PM (#448242 - in reply to #446853)

It takes very little time to clean a boat and trailer of weeds verses the years of agony a few strands of milfoil, a couple of zebra mussles and other invasives can cause. A duck can't carry 5lbs of invasives from one lake to the next.
North of 8
Posted 7/1/2010 2:59 PM (#448260 - in reply to #448242)

No, it does not take a lot of time to clean the boat and trailer and in Oneida County it can save you from paying a stiff fine of over $200, even if the aquatic vegetation is not invasive. My experience as a volunteer is that most musky fisherman take pride in having a neat, organized rig and cleaning it to make sure no invasives is just part of their routine.

It is fun watching a pair of long time fishing partners prepare their boat, both launching and loading. Some guys make it look so smooth and easy it is amazing. Of course, you can also tell how long they have fished together by the kind of grief they give each other!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)