Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Squirko video

Message Subject: Squirko video
wers4455
Posted 6/13/2010 9:20 PM (#445326)
Subject: Squirko video

Anyone have a video of how one works, or supposed to work? Thanks
muskymania
Posted 6/15/2010 2:30 PM (#445695 - in reply to #445326)
Subject: Re: Squirko video

I like to see how the bait works also
AFchris
Posted 6/16/2010 11:44 AM (#445842 - in reply to #445326)

I'll send you a video of mine hanging in my garage, where they sit most of the time! I have tried to numerous times with different leaders, lines, and set ups to get these to work in anyway. Don't seem to glide correctly, lost my confidence in them, sorry It's ashame cause they look like they have potential!
2T Critter
Posted 6/16/2010 12:16 PM (#445847 - in reply to #445326)
Subject: RE: Squirko video

Being an avid Squirko user there are many ways to work the bait. A steady cadence will give it an underwater walk the dog action. I have found the erratic retrieve has produced many more fish the a steady cadence. The fish seem to hit on the pause because the bait will momentarily hang then when it starts to sink continue the retrieve. In the summer it seems that the bait worked near the surface when it occassionally breaks the surface produces then adding a weight and work it slower in colder water works. Squirkos are one of my top baits.
DH.Pare
Posted 6/16/2010 12:58 PM (#445859 - in reply to #445847)

They need a Slack line tap retrieve and the should work like a WA Wabull. One thing you can do is carefully take off the tail then make a hole in the dead center to make room for a 1/8 oz. worm weight and epoxy it in and glue the tail back on with a gel super glue and you should be good to go.

David
happy hooker
Posted 6/16/2010 2:21 PM (#445881 - in reply to #445859)

you guys know that the baby squirko came out this year right,,, made by the new owner they are available at thorne bros

Edited by happy hooker 6/16/2010 2:22 PM
wers4455
Posted 6/16/2010 3:28 PM (#445897 - in reply to #445881)

happy hooker - 6/16/2010 2:21 PM

you guys know that the baby squirko came out this year right,,, made by the new owner they are available at thorne bros

I bought some used baby squirkos last year from a guy on this site
muskymania
Posted 6/16/2010 6:31 PM (#445923 - in reply to #445326)

The only action I get out out the bait is it goes up and down with no side to side action what so ever. Tried shot taps , pulls , twitching , ect and just dont seem to work . Out of all the baits I own thats the only one that dosent work right or cant get it to work. Like AEchris said sits in the grage or tackle box and looks to have potential but more or less a loss of $20
muskihntr
Posted 6/16/2010 7:36 PM (#445932 - in reply to #445326)

My suggestion would be to slow it down and make sure your pausing it enough to get slack in your line. While they can be finicky baits at times they can really shine when nothing else is working. I love em and wouldnt go anywhere without em. Monster Lures offers a leader just for these baits. They spent alot of time trying different lengths and sizes to get one dialed in that gives his baits the best action.
The baby squirkos were available in limited quantites thru the years, mostly at shows. Monster Lures has now made them a regular addition to their full line up and are available at most of the musky tackle retailers.

Edited by muskihntr 6/16/2010 8:21 PM
AFchris
Posted 6/17/2010 11:05 AM (#446024 - in reply to #445326)

I'll try adding a bit of weight to the ass end. But I gotta be honest guy's I would prefer to purchase a lure and throw it as is with out having to mod it.
AWH
Posted 6/17/2010 11:56 AM (#446038 - in reply to #445326)

Bill (the new owner of Monster Lures) did some slight tweaking to the Squirkos to make them more user friendly. He added a little bit of tail weight which makes them run better and keeps them a little further down, but not too deep. So the new ones that are out there shouldn't need the tweaking like is talked about with the older versions.

Aaron
2T Critter
Posted 6/17/2010 11:57 AM (#446039 - in reply to #445326)

Don't get hung up on it has to run like a Manta or a Hellhound. With a little practice it will do the side to side. In my experience the erratic action many times triggers the strike. I have also had luck straight retrieving using the bait as a throw back. It has a nice wobble when straight cranked.
muskihntr
Posted 6/17/2010 1:57 PM (#446058 - in reply to #445326)

All in all I think that the best thing to do would be to contact the company/owner direct vs speculating on a forum. Most people who sell/make their own products (self included) prefer direct feedback from people whether its good or bad, it only helps to produce a better product and also might clear up any problems or questions quicker and faster.
Contacting Monster Lures direct is as easy as posting on here.
http://www.monsterlures.net/
pamuskyhunter
Posted 6/17/2010 3:10 PM (#446074 - in reply to #445842)

AFchris - 6/15/2010 12:44 PM

I'll send you a video of mine hanging in my garage, where they sit most of the time! I have tried to numerous times with different leaders, lines, and set ups to get these to work in anyway. Don't seem to glide correctly, lost my confidence in them, sorry It's ashame cause they look like they have potential!

Want to sell it?

I have most of my luck with using stealth 130lb mone leaders and using the up down action breaking the surface. looks like an injured fish. If you get enough lack in the line and work it slower it works side too side also.
happy hooker
Posted 6/18/2010 1:21 PM (#446239 - in reply to #446074)

So do the new squirkos fish the same has the jerkos,,erratic,roll and uninhibited,,,by that I mean the squikos that I have tried in the past acted like jerkos with a weed caught on the rear hook they seemed to drag and run shallow ,,love the jerko with slow taps,,,will the new squirkos dart more or accelerate on the taps or be soggy I understand this is a slow bait but the old ones just didnt move

Edited by happy hooker 6/18/2010 1:41 PM
Jeff Hanson
Posted 6/18/2010 5:17 PM (#446285 - in reply to #446239)

Jamie,
I will teach you how to work them on your guide trip with me this fall.
No they don't work perfectly side to side they go up and down as well as side to side on the retrieve. I would rather have them work this way, they are alot more erratic and trigger more strikes.
The first three weeks of season the baby squirkos were my best bait. Followed by the baby Jerko. you need to use a MH rod with the smaller ones then they work great. To many guys are trying to use them with rods that are made for big baits.
Good luck,
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)