Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Navionics Canada

Reply New post
Message Subject: Navionics Canada
mstranglr2
Posted 5/19/2010 3:46 PM (#441680)
Subject: Navionics Canada

I'm looking to get the chip for Canada and I was wondering what the differences were in the chips and if they are worth the extra cost. Also, if anybody has any personal experience with this chip did you have any problems? We will primarily be using it for LOTW. Thanks
Bobby
Posted 5/19/2010 9:08 PM (#441742 - in reply to #441680)
Subject: RE: Navionics Canada

This has been discussed quite a bit on the net - the Navionics LOTW map is VERY detailed BUT it is off significantly. It shows you going over land, shows you going past a reef which is supposed to be 30' away but you're actually on top of it, etc. Give yourself some berth and read your surroundings too. The Navionics LOTW map itself is very accurate but where it places you on the map is not.

I don't know for sure which chips I have, and they are a few years old, but does anyone know if this error has been fixed as of recent? If it has, well, disregard my post...
mstranglr2
Posted 5/20/2010 9:08 AM (#441807 - in reply to #441742)

Thanks for the info
dcates
Posted 5/20/2010 12:32 PM (#441847 - in reply to #441680)

In my experience, the Lakemaster LOTW chip is outstanding, at least on Sabaskong.
sworrall
Posted 5/20/2010 12:54 PM (#441854 - in reply to #441847)
Subject: Re: Navionics Canada

Navionics has recently spent a significant amount of time remapping LOTW. Jeff from Navionics discusses the new surveys and Hi Def charts, including LOTW.

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1323
Bobby
Posted 5/20/2010 6:35 PM (#441912 - in reply to #441854)

That would be welcome news from Navionics, hopefully the accuracy error is corrected! If someone could verify this that would be great.

By the way, I did read a negative review of the Lakemaster LOTW chip by the owner of the Bay Store camp at the NW Angle portion of the lake in his online forum (forum is on Outdoors911 in the Lake of the Woods Southern Section). The fellow commented essentially that the chip was missing a lot of detail that Navionics has. I haven't used Lakemaster's LOTW chip, mind you, so I can't personally verify this.

If you could take the best of both and...
guest2
Posted 5/20/2010 6:36 PM (#441914 - in reply to #441680)

Don't know if all you fish is Canada but the Navionics North chip also has LOTW
with the high def surveys then you get MN. WI. and MI. which is were I do most of my fishing. I just bought a 2010 Navionics Premiun North chip over the Platinum
you still get the high def with the 1ft coutours just not the lake pictures or satellite
overlays or the 3-d view on the high def. lakes.
I also went with Navionics over Lakemaster because it has alot more lakes.
I also like the fact you can trade in your older Navionics chips for a new one and save a few bucks in the process In a couple of years I'll get a Platinum just waiting
for them to come out with more high def lakes especially the one's I fish.
mstranglr2
Posted 5/21/2010 9:19 AM (#441969 - in reply to #441914)

So, the North chip has all of LOTW? That would be awesome. I just bought the Premium Canada chip, but I will return it to kill two birdds with one stone.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 5/21/2010 12:42 PM (#442007 - in reply to #441680)

All of Lake of the Woods is offered on both the Canada chip and the North chip!
lambeau
Posted 5/21/2010 1:03 PM (#442012 - in reply to #442007)

All of Lake of the Woods is offered on both the Canada chip and the North chip!

it may contain "all" of the lake in some form, but unless the 2010 version contains a LOT of updated information, it's not all in HD. using the 2009 Premium North chip we drove "off the map" about half-way to Morson and had to switch to the older versions stored on the hard-drive of my Humminbird.

their FAQ says the following about 2009:
A: Navionics has incorporated its HotMaps LOTW edition lake maps into its new 2009 editions of HotMaps Premium (North region) and HotMaps Platinum (Region #2). What's better, the data for LOTW was further enhanced with more detail...

the accuracy of the overlay was very good in the sections of NW Angle that i was on last year.

Edited by lambeau 5/21/2010 1:15 PM
ande
Posted 5/21/2010 2:22 PM (#442023 - in reply to #441680)

I run Lakemaster on LOTW and have been satisfied with it. I have run from Sabaskong to the NW angle as well as the Rainy and out of Baudette and have been very very happy. I have not used the chip north of the angle or Whitefish bay so I can't answer for that area. A word of caution when using any of these maps is to use caution when in shallow water or off the marked routes. For these companies to mark every single rock would be next to impossible given the amount of time it would take to find all of them. That being said I think that Lakemaster has excellent quality on the areas of LOTW that I fish. I will try and post a couple of Lakemaster LOTW high def chip screen captures.

Edited by ande 5/21/2010 2:54 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(004.png)

(003.png)

(002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 004.png (67KB - 152 downloads)
Attachments 003.png (145KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments 002.jpg (44KB - 179 downloads)
guest2
Posted 5/21/2010 5:14 PM (#442044 - in reply to #442012)

The 2010 North Premium chip sure looks like it's Hi Def for all of LOTW's.
I've been sitting in my garage just playin with it and it looks pretty amazing.
That being said I haven't had this chip on LOTW's yet and I don't expect it to be perfect but it looks far better than the older Lakemaster and Navionics chips that I've seen. The other thing that I like it has 50 lakes (not all in Hi Def) that I fish
and at least 50 other lakes I'd like to try which no Lakemaster chip has. Just go on there web sites and look at the lakes available for each.
dougj
Posted 5/21/2010 6:59 PM (#442050 - in reply to #441680)

Lake Master pretty much runs out of chip north of the Aulneau Peninsula. Once you get north of Whitefish Bay on the east side and north of the French Portage or Big Narrows on the West side you are off the charts. The charts are very accurate for location, but not real good for depth at times. It seems good for the lower half of the Angle area, all of the Sabaskong area and for Whitefish, but still misses a rock or three. Wouldn't trust them for full time navagation though many areas. Probably O.K. on the main routes. The Navaionics I have covers the whole lake, but it's older. The GPS accuracy of exactly where you are on the chart is not very good. It often shows you on land, when I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I'm not sure what the new Navonics chip has on it. I know they where charting the fall before last, but haven't seen the new chip.

Too many rocks on the LOTWs to really trust these things. I'd just go slow in areas that you don't quite know and learn safe routes.

Been there, done that!

Doug Johnson
ande
Posted 6/11/2010 10:06 AM (#444999 - in reply to #441680)

In some of the above posts it has been mentioned that Navionics has high def for all of LOTW on their 2010 North Premium Chip. (As you can see from the comparison this is not accurate. Lakemaster is the only high def in many of the locations) I was finally able to obtain some screen captures for both the 2010 Navionics Premium North Card and the 2010 Lakemaster card for comparison.

The first comparison is the navionics vs lakemaster in the passage from sabaskong to obabikon. The second is of navionics vs lakemaster in miles bay just north of Comegan Island. The third set of comparison is in the Monkey rocks reef in the NW angle. As you can see navionics does not have the Miles bay/Sabaskong areas mapped in high def. In the Monkey rocks area there is a difference as well.

Lake master has done about 70 percent of LOTW in high def. They are missing the area around Kenora. I imagine they will eventually be doing that area. It appears there is a lot of area that Navionics has yet to do in actual mapping. In reguard to Doug Johnson's comments above it is always important to use caution when using any mapping, even more so when off the main routes.

Hope this info is helpful for making a comparison

Edited by ande 6/11/2010 2:00 PM

(shot 84.png)

(shot 96.png)

(shot 85.png)

(shot 95.png)

(shot 86.png)

(shot 94.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments shot 84.png (49KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments shot 96.png (72KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments shot 85.png (38KB - 143 downloads)
Attachments shot 95.png (65KB - 169 downloads)
Attachments shot 86.png (140KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments shot 94.png (62KB - 165 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)