Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: What happens at the muskie tournament stays at the muskie tournament. (This from a 10 year old when we were telling him not to tell his mother he was up late)
- (Added by: Muskie Treats)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> New Bucktails - Retry!

Message Subject: New Bucktails - Retry!
markw
Posted 6/8/2010 12:52 PM (#444475)
Subject: New Bucktails - Retry!

Hi Everyone. Thought I would share my first try at building my own bucktails. I definitely need some more wire looping practice, but I'm happy with the way they look in the water. The hardest part was actually making the skirts. I made them with different color combo's of round rubber. I had to invent a way to get a skirt band around that much material. Most of the skirt tools I've seen aren't big enough to fit that much material (2-3 strips ~8" long) so I made my own.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(102_0022 [1600x1200].JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(102_0023 [1600x1200].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 102_0022 [1600x1200].JPG (81KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments 102_0023 [1600x1200].JPG (49KB - 92 downloads)
blackriver
Posted 6/8/2010 2:11 PM (#444491 - in reply to #444475)
Subject: Re: New Bucktails - Retry!

Very nice looking bucktails!!! Wondering if you , or anyone else, has had problems with the reflective tape coming off of the blades after a couple uses. I am going to try to put a thin coat of e-tex on them to see if they hold up longer. Again, great looking bucktails!!
ToddM
Posted 6/8/2010 8:37 PM (#444562 - in reply to #444475)
Subject: RE: New Bucktails - Retry!

Black River, my experience is that they will chip like a pinated bucktail rather than peel.

Nice bucktails, the only thing i would change is to shorten the gap between the bottom of the blade and the top of the skirt material for maximum skirt movement. I try to make mine with a 1/4" distance hanging it from the eyelet.
markw
Posted 6/8/2010 10:46 PM (#444593 - in reply to #444562)

Thanks. I think the angle of the pic creates a bit of an illusion. When the blades are down, they sit about one bead, or less, above the skirt. The practice I need is getting my loops where I want them. The shaft is still a bit longer than I'd like on a few of them. These are .051 wire. I can't even imagine what it's like to loop heavier stuff!
ToddM
Posted 6/9/2010 10:36 AM (#444639 - in reply to #444475)

One way to shorten them is to smash the egg sinker in a vise. I learned this from Bob Gray of Black magic Spinnerbaits. it spreads the skirt out wider too. Another thing to try is if you make your own skirts, put more skirt material in each one and only use two skirts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)