Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> old giant jackpots

Message Subject: old giant jackpots
dtaijo174
Posted 5/13/2010 9:56 PM (#440855)
Subject: old giant jackpots

I have some old poe's giant jackpots and i've always had horrible hook up issues with them. Do you guys have any tips? I was thinking about moving the front hook forward, but had no idea what that would do to the action.

Let me know and please post pics of corrections if you've got any.

Thanks,
Dave
mountainmuskies
Posted 5/14/2010 10:36 AM (#440902 - in reply to #440855)
Subject: Re: old giant jackpots

Try adding a weight to the bottom hook, just a small one on the split ring usually does the trick. It helps keep the whole bait lower in the water and won't kill the action. Also, the weight hitting against the body gives you another dimension of sound that I think helps attract fish! Make sure you have a split ring on the front and at least 5/0' hooks on the bait too, I use Eagle Claw 774 Hooks. "T" the front hook too, this keeps the fish hooked once they are.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 5/14/2010 11:11 AM (#440904 - in reply to #440855)

X 2!! When I did throw them, I added a ring to the nose and put Eagle Claw 774's on 'em. Quicker stickers!! "T'd" hooks are a real difference maker too.
dtaijo174
Posted 5/14/2010 12:51 PM (#440913 - in reply to #440855)

Ok, I'll try this out. I've got so many and I never throw them anymore because I have lost more fish than caught. Anything is worth a try.
leech lake strain
Posted 5/18/2010 7:55 PM (#441476 - in reply to #440913)

I put weight on mine plus new 774's and split rings never tried the ring in the nose but I still lose and miss way more fish than catch with them. It's hard to not use them because they get so much action it's just depressing!
PSYS
Posted 5/18/2010 7:57 PM (#441478 - in reply to #440855)

ugh.

I just bought a Havana Jackpot model a couple of weeks ago. Brand new in my tackle box. Does this apply to both models? Or was it simply for their older model baits? Do I need to modify my Havana Jackpot right out of the package...?
leech lake strain
Posted 5/21/2010 7:08 PM (#442052 - in reply to #441478)

PSYS - 5/18/2010 7:57 PM

ugh.

I just bought a Havana Jackpot model a couple of weeks ago. Brand new in my tackle box. Does this apply to both models? Or was it simply for their older model baits? Do I need to modify my Havana Jackpot right out of the package...?

I have never used the havana before but as far as I know the only difference in it is the size of the bait, the havana jack is bigger, maybe the bigger bait will be easier for the fish not to miss it as much but would be my guess will still have the same issues!! cedar baits boyancy is real good but rides to high in the water and fish miss the hooks! from my opinion the higher the bait rides the better the action and noise and produces tons of action but the decent hookups is terrible so people try to get them riding lower in the water, more hooks and bigger hooks ect. some people say the fishes teeth sink into the wood baits and they spit them a little quicker before getting hooked deep, plastic baits they will slide off and into the hooks, I have alot of misses still though on the doc's. Everyone really likes the older make weagles as they are maple I guess and ride lower in the water and have three sets of trebles! also have a internal wire harness I believe, the jackpots only have screw in eyelets. Bob Meisikomer does'nt do a 8 with a jackpot and his only excuse is what happened due to recent results, whatever that is, probably a 50+ smashed it a boatside and ripped the eyelets right out would be my guess!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)