Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Spanky Baits

Message Subject: Spanky Baits
itmusky
Posted 4/4/2010 9:31 PM (#433106)
Subject: Spanky Baits

All to often we spend time complaining about services and rarely commend people on first class service and over the top customer service. Spanky baits and the owner is one of these first class small businesses. He didn't just want to sell me baits but wanted too sell me right baits for the specific water I am fishing and took time to discuss the body of water with me. His products look great and cant wait to catch some fish on them this season. Just wanted to recommend the owner as a class guy and someone you should consider giving your business too.

Edited by itmusky 4/4/2010 9:58 PM
edalz
Posted 4/4/2010 11:11 PM (#433123 - in reply to #433106)
Subject: Re: Spanky Baits

The owner of Spanky Baits is a great guy, loves to fish muskies, talk muskies and he is great to do business with. He makes a fantastic product that puts fish in the boat.
Musky Madman
Posted 4/6/2010 6:29 AM (#433346 - in reply to #433106)

I bought a couple spankys at the milwaukee show last year. They were both dbl 8 bucktails. I had problems with the flashabou being too small and getting tangled in the clevises, therefore, it was difficult to keep the blades spinning all the time. After giving them an honest effort, I told myself I would not chince on bucktails anymore. Just my experience - I'm sure others like them but I was not real happy.

Have not tried Gerry's girls but I do know I have zero problems with the musky mayhem tails.

Edited by Musky Madman 4/6/2010 6:31 AM
muskie! nut
Posted 4/6/2010 8:11 AM (#433362 - in reply to #433346)

Musky Madman - 4/6/2010 6:29 AM

I had problems with the flashabou being too small and getting tangled in the clevises, therefore, it was difficult to keep the blades spinning all the time.

Did you try trimming the flashaboo?
Musky Madman
Posted 4/6/2010 12:10 PM (#433418 - in reply to #433106)

No I did not trim the flashabou. I suppose this may help. It doesn't hurt to try it.

Also, the tails I've got have the thicker blades (.40 I believe) and that may be a factor in getting/keeping them turning as well.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 4/6/2010 4:48 PM (#433512 - in reply to #433418)

Madman give dan at Spanky Baits a call. He will replace your baits if there is a problem with them. I have a hundred of them and never had a problem like the one you are explaining.
They are by far the best built double bladed bucktail on the market. The blades, wire and componants are far heavier than any one else uses. So they hold up alot better.
You will notice on most other double bucktails they get easier to reel in over time its because the blades bend, especialy if you have caught fish on them. Most of the damage to a bait happens when the fish is in the net thrashing around with it.
Spankys hold up to this abuse and you don't have to waste time straighting wire and blades like you do on the other baits.
Last year alone I unhooked 85 Muskys on Spankys with 9 fish 50"-53"
Madman I don't know how you figured you chinced when you bought them, you bought the best spinner on the market and the fairest price. Give Dan a call and he will take care of you.
Good luck
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

muskie! nut
Posted 4/6/2010 5:44 PM (#433534 - in reply to #433512)

Jeff Hanson - 4/6/2010 4:48 PM

Madman give dan at Spanky Baits a call. He will replace your baits if there is a problem with them.

That would have been my next post.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 4/6/2010 7:35 PM (#433557 - in reply to #433106)

Batman,
Reread my post I already explained it. IMO
Thanks,
Jeff

Edited by Jeff Hanson 4/6/2010 7:45 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 4/6/2010 7:47 PM (#433561 - in reply to #433106)

Holy crap Batman can't understand the written language. YIKES!
Musky Madman
Posted 4/7/2010 8:46 AM (#433650 - in reply to #433106)

I'll try trimming some of the flash first I suppose. I only have two of them that I had made up at the Milwaukee show last year. So, I really like the colors and would like to use them. I do remember that the spankys seemed to be a little heavier (probably due to heavier components) which I liked because they were very easy to cast. I'm not bashing Spanky's at all and I'll try tuning them this year. I just remember tossing them for a while last year and becoming frustrated and switching out lures. However, I'm not going to call Dan, it was just more of an observation (and slight complaint I guess). Chucking mag dawgs until you lose a tail, or the harness is falling out, before even catching a fish is what peees me off.
edalz
Posted 4/11/2010 4:44 PM (#434376 - in reply to #433106)
Subject: RE: Spanky Baits

Robin - 4/7/2010 9:45 AM

Spanky blades are too thick. I heard they can make them with a thinner blade, but their normal blades are too thick. I like the thicker blades at night when im really slow rollin a bucktail, but when I want to vary my speeds from medium-burning, the thick blades don't cut it. Gotta use the tried and true Cowgirls for that. Cowgirls have been imitated, but haven't been duplicated.

I have also had troubles with the "through" wire on spanky's. When I first heard about them, I ordered up a dozen or so custom colors, but ran into issues with many casts of fowled blades and also #*#*ty job of making the final end circle where you attach your leader to. There were slight bends in the main wire that would hinder the spinning of the blades. I know a quick fix to the problem, but I have had 50" muskies crush cowgirls at the boat and absolutley destroy the bucktail and put 90 degree bends in the main wire and when I try my best to make them straight again (definitely not completely straight) I still have a bucktail that runs as true as a brand new one.

I understand Dan from Spanky will exchange the bucktails if they don't work, but I just quit buying them. I don't want to chance missing a fish or follow because of a fowl blades on any particular cast. Never once had an issue with a cowgirl.

I had a Spanky catch (3) nice fish on one day at Eagle last year and I was able to get the same bait running fine after each fish. I think DCG and Spankys are both great baits.
mskyhntr
Posted 4/11/2010 8:31 PM (#434415 - in reply to #433106)

Robin, why are the blades too thick in your opinion? I have no problems with them nor do I have problems with cowgirls. Different blades for different apps I guess, I am the complete opposite of you...I prefer the cowgirls at night instead of spankys because there lighter, they ride higher with a slower retrieve, and don't get into the rocks or weeds on a super slow retrieve. I throw spankys in the day more just because they run deeper, and stay down better when burning....cowgirls blow out to easy with out adding weight to them. As far as the blades fouling...the only problem I ever had was before they added the extra split ring on the front hook, the hook used to catch the blade every once in a while with the single ring. Have you checked your clevises, and make sure they make a perfect C shape and they should spin fine. One other thing about the think blades is they dont' bend, how many of you have had to flatten your .025 blades after several hours of use. Or have you noticed after a while they don't pull as hard? That's because the blades are bent near the clevis. Brass/Painted blades are soft, it doesn't take long for them to bend. the nickle blades last longer but still bend over time.
Contender
Posted 4/14/2010 2:02 PM (#435130 - in reply to #433106)

We troll Spanky's quite a bit on LSC. 3-4kts, for 12 + hours a day. Much more durable than Cowgirls, Glitter Bitches and Buchertails, we have learned.

Only problem we had, was wore out some clevises, after 100's of hours of use. Dan Moat repaired them for free!!

Edited by Contender 4/14/2010 2:04 PM
Patrick Chewing
Posted 4/14/2010 2:11 PM (#435137 - in reply to #433106)

Another bump for cowgirls! Never had an issue!!
jonnysled
Posted 4/14/2010 8:56 PM (#435253 - in reply to #433106)

what does "hands down" mean?
Tim Schmitz
Posted 4/14/2010 9:14 PM (#435254 - in reply to #435253)

I know an old guy in a little red Lund tiller that put more 50"s in the boat last year then a bunch of big name guides pulling super models and cow girls at 5-8mph. I'll stick with my cowgirls till he finds a better bait.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/14/2010 9:36 PM (#435256 - in reply to #433106)

Sled, "hands down" means: "my opinion means more than anyone else's out there, because when I say something it MUST BE true. All these other idiots don't know what they are talking about. In fact, I INVENTED muskie fishing! They didn't even swim in lakes until I started fishing for them!"

That said, I love the debates about which type of lure is best... It gives you a good idea of who has and hasn't figured out that lures are tools, and that no one tool outperforms every other in every situation just because someone with a season under their belt claims it to be...

So.. For what it's worth, here is my opinion on Spanky Baits:

I like the heavier wire and heavier blades, especially in clear water where you may want your bait to run a little deeper. The heavier blades hold up MUCH better -- they don't weaken and bend where the holes are drilled, and it takes a LOT longer for the hooks to wear a deep groove in the center of the blade. (Yes, it IS possible to fish a double 10 long enough to wear it out) Plus? I like Dan. (Moatsy) He's a good egg. Since EVERYBODY makes a double 10, I tend to stick to those made by people I know, and like.

I also use Gerry's Girls, a LOT. I like them for the same reasons as I like the Spanky Baits, including the fact that I like Gerry. They are a bit longer than spanky baits, and can be worked slower.

Now... If I was looking for a bait I could burn on the surface? Well, I may choose a dinnerbell. Why? Well, I like Troy. I've fished with him a few times and he's a good guy. I have a black/orange dinnerbell that is pretty much destroyed. One more fish and it will be done. After that happens, I will replace that lure with an identical dinnerbell. I like it in low light conditions, in dark/stained water, and when speed is key.

I like the Shumway Giant Flasher when I am looking for a giant profile and I want something made with Marabou. But those things will hurt you. It's not a lure I'd throw all day. But I like Bruce Shumway, and his smaller flashers have put a LOT of fish in the boat for me and my friends over the years.

I have nothing against the Mayhem folks, don't get me wrong. But to me, the price is a bit prohibitive, because Cowgirls don't do anything the other 20 or so double 10's on the market won't do.

If you asked me what the "best" was? Best for WHAT? Slow rolling? Trolling? Burning? Durability? Customer service? Is it the best double 10 with a silicone skirt? or marabou? or flashabou? Thin or thick flashabou?

Edited by esoxaddict 4/14/2010 9:45 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 4/14/2010 10:49 PM (#435276 - in reply to #433106)

Very well said EA.

There in lies the rub. Best for what? I hate the questions that starts with "what the best for......?" Unless you can tell me every condition, neither you nor I will be able to tell you what the best is.

Edited by muskie! nut 4/14/2010 10:51 PM
Bytor
Posted 4/14/2010 11:05 PM (#435283 - in reply to #435256)

Comparing a Spanky with the thick blades to a Cowgirl is apples to oranges. Two totally different lures/tools.

I can understand why guys that troll them would prefer Spanky's. If you are a guy who slow rolls at night the thin blades will shine, the thick blades will not get it done.

Early fall when the fish are shallow in the weeds good luck throwing a Spanky in the weeds. The thin blades will shine there as well.

You fish the clear water of Eagle lake, where you can't night fish and a Spanky style would be my choice.

Both the thin and thick blades have their time and place. One is not better than the other. They are both good, it depends where and how you fish.

Jeff you can now order a Dinnerbell on line if you so choose. Check it out.

http://dinnerbellmuskies.com/

Edited by Bytor 4/14/2010 11:07 PM
Thames
Posted 4/15/2010 4:21 PM (#435398 - in reply to #433106)

Baytor-- I cast my Spankys over the weeds shallow all the time I have no problem with that. If you hold your rod up you can swim them over any thing. If I want them to run deeper I hold my rod on the edge of the water. They are a very versitile bait.
Posted 4/24/2010 8:11 PM (#437250 - in reply to #433106)

are the beads directly behind the clevises on spanky's hollow or solid???

Thanks!
muskie! nut
Posted 4/24/2010 9:29 PM (#437273 - in reply to #437250)

guest - 4/24/2010 8:11 PM

are the beads directly behind the clevises on spanky's hollow or solid???

Best you contact Dan Moats directly about that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)