Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Minn kota 3 bank charger

Reply New post
Message Subject: Minn kota 3 bank charger
musky slut
Posted 1/31/2011 2:38 PM (#478905)
Subject: Minn kota 3 bank charger

I am looking for information about the MinnKota 3 bank battery charger. If left hooked to the batteries will it hurt them during low temps or would you recomend bringing the batteries inside ? I appreciate the insight .
muskymandan
Posted 1/31/2011 2:47 PM (#478910 - in reply to #478905)
Subject: RE: Minn kota 3 bank charger

I do not have any prior experience with the Minn Kota onboard charging systems. I have read a lot of bad reviews on them though. I purchased a Pro Sport 20 which went completely out in 2 years. I ruined my batteries by leaving them outside all winter “plugged in.” So now my batteries sit in my basement on a battery rack I made with a Battery Tender hooked up to them all winter. Better to be safe than sorry.
jackson
Posted 2/1/2011 10:39 AM (#479016 - in reply to #478905)
Subject: Re: Minn kota 3 bank charger

It shouldn't hurt the batteries with a good charger. You just have to make sure it has "maintaining" capabilities. Also, leaving your batteries outside in the winter is actually better for them then being inside. As it gets colder, a fully charged battery in good condition will NOT lose much charge. But the battery has to be in good working order and fully charged when you put it away. Cold weather acutally slows the discharge of the battery. I used to bring mine in until i talked to a battery expert about this. When i had them in the basement, it would take upwards of 24 hours to charge them (slow charge Optimate 3 charger).. when i leave them out in the cold, it usually takes under 1 hour to fully charge. This tells me that what i stated above is true.

I wouldn't buy a Minn Kota just due to how large them are. But i have heard they are a good charger so i don't think you have to worry about it. MinnKota is a top charging brand and they understand the needs of boaters.

Edited by jackson 2/1/2011 10:40 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)