Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> hole from flush mounted graph?

Reply New post
Message Subject: hole from flush mounted graph?
jwelch
Posted 3/6/2010 12:35 AM (#427260)
Subject: hole from flush mounted graph?

I think I am going to get a couple of new graphs this spring. Anybody have any innovative ideas on covering up this hole - besides the obvious buy a new front plate.

I'm thinking of putting a hds 7 up front on a ram mount so flush mounting again is out of the question.

Right now I thinking of getting a piece of diamond plate or black powder-coated piece of sheet medal and trying to cut it so it fits well in the hole and securing it somehow.

Anybody got any cool ideas or experience with this, care to chime in.

Jeremy
VMS
Posted 3/6/2010 8:08 AM (#427274 - in reply to #427260)
Subject: Re: hole from flush mounted graph?

Hiya,

Any chance you can take a picture of the hole? might give others ideas as to what could be done based upon what it looks like....

Steve
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 3/6/2010 12:12 PM (#427311 - in reply to #427260)

Your local automotive stereo shop should have 12" x 12" blanks(flat stock) they could
sell to you for less than $20. They use this stuff for custom installations. Draw a template on paper or cardboard, cut it out and use it as a stencil on the blank. A dremmel or rotozip tool work great to cut any shape you want. The blanks are usually smooth on one side and textured, almost like leather, on the other. They could also sell you the clips that you use to screw in to and hold the finished plate in place. Prolly a lot cheaper than buying the plate
from your boat manufacturer it's not bard to get a professional look doingit yourself.
jwelch
Posted 3/6/2010 9:25 PM (#427367 - in reply to #427260)
Subject: RE: hole from flush mounted graph?

I don't have any pictures right now. But it used to have a x-51 mounted in the plate. It has lip all the way around probably 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide.

I think it will be pretty easy to fill up if I can find the right material.

KO, Is the 12"x12" material you mention, what is it made of? Do you have any idea of how thick it is? I assume its paintable. My front plate is of wood grain but i figure painting it black will look alright. Maybe put a triton or musky decal on it.

Jeremy
jwelch
Posted 3/6/2010 9:37 PM (#427369 - in reply to #427260)
Subject: RE: hole from flush mounted graph?

I guess I do have a picture of it when the graph was mounted in the plate.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(boat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boat.jpg (172KB - 143 downloads)
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 3/6/2010 10:08 PM (#427375 - in reply to #427260)

Its a plastic material , a type polypropeline (if I recall correctly). Some may mistakingly call it or think its plexiglass. Its not. I dont know how it would take a coat of primer/paint. You'd have to ask. Black and grey should be readily available (no need to paint). Mine was black. They do come in a variety of colors to accomodate the various automotive(boat) interiors as well as tastes of owners (are you pimp'n your ride??? c'mon tell the truth). You may have to shop around for color. Its approx 3/16" thick with some bendability to compensate for contours as needed (nothing dramatic though). Your app should be no problem. I made a plate to mount my stereo in the dash of my boat. Original stereo reciever was larger than the new one. Ill take a pic and post tomorrow.
If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a thin strip of weather stipping (tape) or a bead of silicone(also avail in colors...yes black) to create a wether seal upon installing since its right out there on your bow.

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 3/6/2010 10:17 PM
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 3/16/2010 5:15 PM (#429249 - in reply to #427375)

Jeremy, Sorry haven't been able to photo my dash to show how my install went. I did find the left over piece from my job. What is the size of your opening? If my piece is big enough I'll send to you no charge. If you need a bigger piece I could pick one up for you and ship, just cover costs.
Karl
jwelch
Posted 3/16/2010 6:47 PM (#429262 - in reply to #429249)

Thanks. My boat is out in my buddies machine shed - if I make it out there sometime this week I'll measure it. I'm guessing 6" x 6" at least but I'll let you know.

Jeremy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)