Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> stabil and/or marine stabil

Reply New post
Message Subject: stabil and/or marine stabil
Dave T.
Posted 10/24/2009 1:33 PM (#406258)
Subject: stabil and/or marine stabil

Heres a dumb question.. Do you need to use both of these additives when storing your boat for the winter?? I have always just used the original stabil for winter, but i was able to get 100% gasoline then.. since most all of the gas has ethanol in it now, i use marine formula during the season.. Is that sufficient for storage as well? Or do i need to put in the original also?

Just wanted to make sure im storing it correctly, dont want any troubles in the spring!!

thanks

Dave
Ifishskis
Posted 10/24/2009 2:10 PM (#406259 - in reply to #406258)
Subject: RE: stabil and/or marine stabil

Dave T. - 10/24/2009 1:33 PM

Heres a dumb question.. Do you need to use both of these additives when storing your boat for the winter?? I have always just used the original stabil for winter, but i was able to get 100% gasoline then.. since most all of the gas has ethanol in it now, i use marine formula during the season.. Is that sufficient for storage as well? Or do i need to put in the original also?

Just wanted to make sure im storing it correctly, dont want any troubles in the spring!!

thanks

Dave

Marine Stabil is relatively new. Use it.
Dave T.
Posted 10/24/2009 2:14 PM (#406260 - in reply to #406259)
Subject: RE: stabil and/or marine stabil

ya, i just looked at their website, and it can be used for storage as well..

just wanted to make sure because the adds they run dont really specify..

Dave
jackson
Posted 10/26/2009 7:58 AM (#406405 - in reply to #406258)
Subject: Re: stabil and/or marine stabil

Keep in mind, i think it says to add double the amount if using the Marine stable. Read the instructions, but i think when i read it, it said you can use for storage but you had to use a greater ratio.
jackson
Posted 10/26/2009 12:50 PM (#406469 - in reply to #406258)

you are supposed to double the amount. Read the back of the bottle.
Ifishskis
Posted 10/26/2009 12:54 PM (#406473 - in reply to #406258)

My .02 is that along with Stabil, Seafoam or whatever you like to use, one should put in ethanol free fuel into their tanks.....especially for winter storage. In my area (Wausau WI) many gas stations are offering ethanol free premium fuel....more money but well worth it IMO...Ethanol is DEATH on fuel systems. I use the non-ethanol premo fuel on all of my toys on a year round basis....in addition to using Seafoam.
Dave T.
Posted 2/28/2010 12:11 PM (#426226 - in reply to #406473)

Cant find any ethanol free gas in my area..

guess ill just cross my fingers!!

Dave
VMS
Posted 2/28/2010 12:41 PM (#426230 - in reply to #406473)

Ifishskis - 10/26/2009 12:54 PM

My .02 is that along with Stabil, Seafoam or whatever you like to use, one should put in ethanol free fuel into their tanks.....especially for winter storage. In my area (Wausau WI) many gas stations are offering ethanol free premium fuel....more money but well worth it IMO...Ethanol is DEATH on fuel systems. I use the non-ethanol premo fuel on all of my toys on a year round basis....in addition to using Seafoam.

Ethanol is not "death" to a fuel system.... It is just as detrimental as straight gasoline in any fuel system that is not taken care of properly. If Ethanol was death to fuel systems, we would be seeing literally THOUSANDS of cars and trucks in for THOUSANDS of hours of service.

If you take care of your system, frequently use the ethanol fuel that you purchase, and store your equipment correctly, Ethanol will run just fine. We see lower performance due to Ethanol because it is not as efficient burning as straight gas. Please refer to the Ethanol thread if you'd like more information.

Steve

Edited by VMS 2/28/2010 12:50 PM
Dave T.
Posted 3/14/2010 10:27 AM (#428805 - in reply to #426230)

Well gents, went out and started my boat last week with the warm weather weve been having, and had no problems.. fired right up..

so hopefully every year it wont be a problem even with ethanol in the tank!

thanks for your replies

Dave
FEVER
Posted 3/14/2010 11:53 AM (#428825 - in reply to #406258)

Ive got a buddy who never did anything to his motor but gear lube and plugs, thats it, no Stabil. '94 75 Merc. 2-stroke. Never fogged it. Never had a problem. Keeps it outside. Ive got a '98 25 Merc 2 stroke, gear lube, plugs, Stabil, Merc. Quick Clean, thats all I use. Never fogged, never throw gas away, what ever is left in the tank stays till spring. Never had a problem. I'm planning to switch to Marine Stabil this year. Ive had no problem with ethanol. Good luck to all. Tom
Ifishskis
Posted 3/14/2010 1:01 PM (#428844 - in reply to #426230)

VMS - 2/28/2010 12:41 PM

Ifishskis - 10/26/2009 12:54 PM

Ethanol is not "death" to a fuel system.... It is just as detrimental as straight gasoline in any fuel system that is not taken care of properly. If Ethanol was death to fuel systems, we would be seeing literally THOUSANDS of cars and trucks in for THOUSANDS of hours of service.

If you take care of your system, frequently use the ethanol fuel that you purchase, and store your equipment correctly, Ethanol will run just fine. We see lower performance due to Ethanol because it is not as efficient burning as straight gas. Please refer to the Ethanol thread if you'd like more information.

Steve

Jeez.....don't take the word DEATH so literally! You're right...if it were death, ultimately no gasoline powered "thing" would run.

You are some kind of expert......so when I say "non-ethanol" gas is better than gas with ethanol, is this OK with you?

Edited by Ifishskis 3/14/2010 1:02 PM
VMS
Posted 3/14/2010 5:25 PM (#428886 - in reply to #406258)

Hiya,

Ummm....I'm curious now as to what you meant by your original statement with the word "death" in capital letters....

Not any sort of an expert...I just try to do my best to research something before making bold statements that may or may not be true. If I go to make a bold statement, I am going to have rock solid evidence to back it up....nothing more than that. When writing in black and white as we do on these boards, what one means may not come across the way others read it.

If you feel you need my permission on what you want to call better gas, feel free to choose either one....it really could be argued either way.

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)