Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Cleaning Boat Seats and Other Vinyl

Reply New post
Message Subject: Cleaning Boat Seats and Other Vinyl
Cleaner Meaner
Posted 3/15/2010 5:05 PM (#429036)
Subject: Cleaning Boat Seats and Other Vinyl

What ist he best product to clean boat seats and other vinyl around the boat??? I know they make "vinyl" cleaner and sell it at Gander and whatnot, but is there somthing better??

David Bily
Posted 3/19/2010 5:46 AM (#429812 - in reply to #429036)
Subject: RE: Cleaning Boat Seats and Other Vinyl

I just finished cleaning up my boat for the coming season and used Starbrite Mildew Remover to get mold/mildew off of vinyl seats. Worked great as always. I've tried other brands but this stuff seems to work the best. When you're done, put a light coat of Armorall on the vinyl that you won't be sitting on and you're good to go. Putting Armorall on surfaces that you directly sit on will make surfaces too slippery. Good luck.
Ifishskis
Posted 3/19/2010 9:08 AM (#429833 - in reply to #429812)

David Bily - 3/19/2010 5:46 AM

I just finished cleaning up my boat for the coming season and used Starbrite Mildew Remover to get mold/mildew off of vinyl seats. Worked great as always. I've tried other brands but this stuff seems to work the best. When you're done, put a light coat of Armorall on the vinyl that you won't be sitting on and you're good to go. Putting Armorall on surfaces that you directly sit on will make surfaces too slippery. Good luck.

Armor All should be one of your last choices for use on boat vinyl and other similar surfaces (car interiors) as it has petroleum products in it. I learned this through a fellow rep who sold 303 Protectant. 303 has no petroleum products in it and will actually condition (and clean light grime) the vinyl. I've been using 303 for 15 years and will spend the extra $$ for it. If you follow any other fishing boards, you'll find my opinion to be pretty common.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 3/19/2010 2:09 PM (#429888 - in reply to #429833)

Meguiar's Marine the best for seats.
surf n turf
Posted 3/19/2010 3:14 PM (#429905 - in reply to #429036)

For serious grime try using Mr Clean Magic Erasers. They will brighten up vinyl like you've never seen before. Elbow grease required.
David Bily
Posted 3/20/2010 8:58 PM (#430102 - in reply to #429036)

I didn't know that Armorall had petroleum products in it but now that I do, I don't see why that would be pertinent; vinyl is a petroleum product as are many of the other things I use it on when cleaning the boat such as the rubber rail around the boat and gasket on the outboard cowling. I stand by what I said. The vinyl in my boat looks like it did when I brought the boat home in 1992, and it gets an application of Armorall twice a year.
Top H2O
Posted 3/20/2010 9:53 PM (#430109 - in reply to #430102)

David Billy,

You hit the nail on the head.... Vinyl is made out of oil baised products and needs oil based cleaners to keep them "like new"
Jerome
Targa01
Posted 3/22/2010 1:04 PM (#430335 - in reply to #429036)
Subject: Re: Cleaning Boat Seats and Other Vinyl

IMHO, There won't be any immediate affects using armor-all and like stated vinyls can handle it. But sometimes the accompanying plastics around your vinyl don't take kindly to petroleums sometimes causing them to prematurely crack/checking. I don't think most people are "lubing" up their boat seats weekly so no harm done but I would recommend not applying it and leaving it in direct sunlight. I know people who had show cars that sprayed their tires regularly. Tires were weather checked within a year. But again heavy applications plus direct sunlight.
MACK
Posted 3/22/2010 1:43 PM (#430341 - in reply to #430335)
Subject: Re: Cleaning Boat Seats and Other Vinyl

The product "Goof Off" works well to clean with as well.
Ifishskis
Posted 3/22/2010 4:03 PM (#430373 - in reply to #430102)

David Bily - 3/20/2010 8:58 PM

I didn't know that Armorall had petroleum products in it but now that I do, I don't see why that would be pertinent; vinyl is a petroleum product as are many of the other things I use it on when cleaning the boat such as the rubber rail around the boat and gasket on the outboard cowling. I stand by what I said. The vinyl in my boat looks like it did when I brought the boat home in 1992, and it gets an application of Armorall twice a year.

And I stand by what I said.......with over 30 years of experience to back it up. Back in the day Armor All was pretty much the thing to use. But I often wondered why white vinyl became light yellow vinyl after a few years.

In the early 90's I was introduced to 303 and "their story" (not my story) made sense to me. Since using 303....no more white vinyl turning yellow'ish.

There are lots of alternatives on the market...use what you want to. I was just adding my .02.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)