Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Mercury Problem

Reply New post
Message Subject: Mercury Problem
buckedrake
Posted 3/11/2010 8:54 PM (#428396)
Subject: Mercury Problem

I have a 1992 mercury 50 horse. It is a 3 cylinder and it lost spark. My buddy who is a auto mechanic looked at it and thinks the cdi went out but the dealer won't return the part if that isn't the problem. Was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. Thanks, Jason
sworrall
Posted 3/11/2010 10:20 PM (#428403 - in reply to #428396)
Subject: Re: Mercury Problem

I don't understand your question, clarify please?
oddball
Posted 3/12/2010 3:35 PM (#428530 - in reply to #428396)

Is there like a dark liquid leaking from it ? My brother inlaw has same motor he's going to have to replace his for the 2nd time. That materal they pour around the circuts gets hot on his , melts and shorts out the board . A mechanic told him its kind of common with that motor. Its kind of a spendy fix ,good luck hope it helps
anzomcik
Posted 3/15/2010 7:36 AM (#428949 - in reply to #428396)

For like 30$ buy a manual and test it your self. Since i have been buying manuals it has saved me thousands. (I have had alot of boats and motors) Your switchbox is an easy one to test with a multimeter, and the book.

Also check all your grounds and fuses, if there is corrosion clean it, if in doubt clean it. Make sure you motor kill is switched to run, i have cranked the motor for like a what seemed like forever at the launch only to find i never turned the swicth to run on the controls.
buckedrake
Posted 3/15/2010 7:35 PM (#429080 - in reply to #428396)
Subject: RE: Mercury Problem

Sorry Steve my question was if anyone else has suddenly lost spark and if the cdi was the problem. I was just wondering if this was a common problem before I bought the part and couldn't return it. I will go and by a manual now and test it though. Thanks anzomcik.
Jason
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)