Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Melton Hill Haul and do TN anglers have any balls?

Message Subject: Melton Hill Haul and do TN anglers have any balls?
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/28/2010 7:51 PM (#420333)
Subject: Melton Hill Haul and do TN anglers have any balls?

Sunny day's fishing left me with a slight burn on my face, no musky in the boat but I did not come away empty handed. My catch is pictured. As for TN anglers having any balls, well at least the one guy that cut in front of me in the hot hole has some, and the guys that came up on DougJ the other day, and had people casting on both sides of his boat, probably do too. At one point in time, I would even leave somebody in the hothole to fish it by themselves, or wait until they were done with a side before fishing. Quite evidently those days are done. When will the fistifights or gunfire begin? Who knows?

I did catch this largemouth at 20.5", with the unique black spotting on the fins. Jim Negas, one of the state fish guys was down and looked at the pics and identified the spotting as some type of melanoma. The fish was in nice condition and ate a reef hawg in 45 degree water, kind of a surprise in that temp and a pretty good size for this lake.
Stearns life jacket, pretty new with the price tag string still on it(see bobber), kept.
Gave the balls away(sorry TN guys, you should have picked them up yourselves). the big yellow plastic can may get turned into a bait well. Heck of a plastic container. Heavy duty and nicely intact.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(jan 20 006 [640x480].jpg)

(jan 20 009 [640x480].jpg)

(jan 20 007 [640x480].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jan 20 006 [640x480].jpg (91KB - 137 downloads)
Attachments jan 20 009 [640x480].jpg (92KB - 149 downloads)
Attachments jan 20 007 [640x480].jpg (89KB - 136 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 1/28/2010 9:21 PM (#420359 - in reply to #420333)
Subject: Re: Melton Hill Haul and do TN anglers have any balls?

Make the plastic container into a basket. Practice throwing balls into it from varying distances away. Some folks find that quite the sport.
BubbaTn
Posted 1/28/2010 10:49 PM (#420388 - in reply to #420359)

Ha! Good finds! The reason you found all those balls was because there is a park/playground just upstream of where you were fishing, so we find stuff like that quite often. At least you can say you loaded the boat!
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/29/2010 4:46 AM (#420404 - in reply to #420388)

BubbaTn - 1/28/2010 10:49 PM

Ha! Good finds! The reason you found all those balls was because there is a park/playground just upstream of where you were fishing, so we find stuff like that quite often. At least you can say you loaded the boat!

Yeah Bubba,
I'm sure that's it. We must have that same playground upstream from Green River, Lake Cumberland, and Buckhorn. That is a massive, massive playground.

DougJ got a personal prize of a nice propane tank, that must have been flung off that playground too. Wonder what game THAT was?
jerryb
Posted 1/29/2010 11:02 AM (#420455 - in reply to #420404)

G river, never saw it too bad. Buckhorn that was something else, loaded with "structure", refrigerators, 55 gal. drums, head lights, kids toys, gas cans, you name it. A structure-man's paradise.
dougj
Posted 1/29/2010 11:54 AM (#420470 - in reply to #420404)

FSF:

Nice haul, but balls are a dime a dozen. 20 lb propane tanks are a real find!

Doug J
Top H2O
Posted 1/29/2010 6:55 PM (#420543 - in reply to #420470)

Hey Doug,
You didn't break anything setting the hook on that 20 pounder, did you ?
I'm guessing that you or FSF will hook into a 40 pound monster, Lazy Boy any day now LOL !
Have fun and enjoy your time in Tn. It was 25* below zero here this morning in Cook, Mn. .........Beautiful !

Jerome
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/29/2010 7:55 PM (#420553 - in reply to #420455)

jerryb - 1/29/2010 11:02 AM

G river, never saw it too bad. Buckhorn that was something else, loaded with "structure", refrigerators, 55 gal. drums, head lights, kids toys, gas cans, you name it. A structure-man's paradise.

I'll guarantee Green River has everything Buckhorn has, and then some. Lot's of Green River stuff is hiding up in the trees. I posted a pic of a floating refrigerator on this site a couple years back. DougJ got mad at me, because I posted a picture of the "tire hole", until I pointed out that there were SO MANY TIRES on the lake, no one would ever be able to pick out that particular one. It's all good, sometime them tires are going to be the only form of carbon around, thens ussns gonna get rich yawl.
muskie_man
Posted 1/29/2010 10:38 PM (#420577 - in reply to #420333)

Yeah those tires are about the only casting structure thats in green river lake!haha
Top H2O
Posted 1/29/2010 11:33 PM (#420580 - in reply to #420577)

Justin,
That's a Fact ! Thats why I fish Cave Run in March and April.........Although there are plenty of tires and fridges floating around sometimes !

Jerome
dougj
Posted 1/30/2010 2:39 PM (#420667 - in reply to #420333)
Subject: RE: Melton Hill Haul and do TN anglers have any balls?

We got the 20lber on a 8" jointed believer, actually landed by Jim Negus the area Biologist. He did a great job on the rod and I hand landed it.

MH is better than most of the southern lakes I've fished. It's not flood control so the lake level is fairly constant which keeps stuff on shore. The worst lake I've fished for trash was lake Cumberland, which was an absolute junk yard. That plus lots of great big floating logs which would appear every time you had a good rainfall made boating a real challenge at times.

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 1/30/2010 2:40 PM
Disappointed
Posted 2/5/2010 4:29 PM (#421926 - in reply to #420667)

FSF

I am really disappointed in your report I drove all the way up to MH from Atlanta and didn't see one ball. Spent two days fishing and only saw about a half dozen muskies with one caught and a striped bass caught. I even went out with the famous 20lb tank catcher and didn't see one of those either. I don't think we can rely on any of your reports in the future.

Disappointed
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/5/2010 5:38 PM (#421941 - in reply to #420333)

Dear Disappointed,
Had you not wimped your sorry tail out and left for GA early, and made one last run down to that certain well known hollow, you would have seen a very nice used TN ball floating around that shoreline, and also, there was one in the cove with a certain tree in it. I cannot help those that don't have the fortitude to stay the course, or the sharp eyedness needed to capitalize on opportunity. I am not your shrink, but as a certified musky advisor my advice is more casts in more places and you will succeed.

BTW, Atlanta? Isn't there a carp population down there to satisfy your fishing whimsy?

Remember, more casts in more places. And no cheese to go with this whine!
Disappointed
Posted 2/5/2010 9:37 PM (#421976 - in reply to #421941)

FSF

Thank you for wanting to give me such fabulous advice about muskie fishing I am sure the person I was fishing with could not have shown me how to live up to your standards. Next time I promise I will leave my carp fishing whimsy behind and try, with your permission, to rise up to those lofty standards you have set for musky fishing and ball retrieval. Four hour trips in pouring rain will no longer be an excuse for me to stop fishing a half hour earlier.
Thank you again you have set me on the path to true fishing heaven.

Disappointed
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/5/2010 10:02 PM (#421979 - in reply to #420333)

Error, four hours is NOT a trip, it is similar to the difference of dipping your toes in the drink as opposed to swimming nude. When you stop dipping your toes and start swimmin, let us guys from KY know, and then we'll start to toughen you up from there. And remember, that guy you were fishing with is a sit down fisherman, and some of the heaviest lifting in his days activities comes around 5 pm. I hear those highball glasses are H E A V Y!!!
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2010 10:05 PM (#421981 - in reply to #420333)

Balls.

I've seen this before, expectations so high, reality in the end strikes down one's best and most honorable intentions.

I heard this ball team from a mythical city of Minni's and Saints have this guy who throws balls away to guys who aren't even supposed to catch them and he's from the South. Not sure if that's true. Maybe he could be enlisted for Disappointed's next trip..
dougj
Posted 2/6/2010 3:23 PM (#422068 - in reply to #420333)

Looked to me like it was just a couple of "poor ball days"! Balls weren't very active for us during this period. I suspect that with the recent 2" rainfall that balls will become more active.

Doug J
BDavis
Posted 2/7/2010 8:18 AM (#422168 - in reply to #420333)

Keep it up guys and leave the musky fishing to us TN boys.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)