Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I think you guys would rather see your kid burn before you would let a muskie die! DNR warden Lake Vermillion
- (Added by: WI Skis)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> What type of hooks for Musky baits

Message Subject: What type of hooks for Musky baits
muskyslayer96
Posted 1/20/2010 7:40 AM (#418336)
Subject: What type of hooks for Musky baits

I've been using EagleClaw lazer sharp treble hooks. They are extremely sharp right out of the box, but they are fairly expensive and not as strong as some I have seen.
I'm looking for a better option (cheaper, or stronger, or both) and where to purchase to get the best deal.

Thanks for your help,

MS
h2os2t
Posted 1/20/2010 8:39 AM (#418342 - in reply to #418336)
Subject: RE: What type of hooks for Musky baits

Use the regular 774s not the lazer sharp. The hold a point well (the guys fishing the river in Rapids got me started on them) and fish and strong. Be careful with going to strong as they get thicker and do not penetrate as well. If you go to the Milwaukee Muskie show(decided to get a booth there) stop at my booth and I will sell you some if you want some.
muskyslayer96
Posted 1/20/2010 9:02 AM (#418344 - in reply to #418342)

Great, thanks Roger!
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/21/2010 8:55 AM (#418520 - in reply to #418336)
Subject: Re: What type of hooks for Musky baits

If you like Mustads, I have about 10,000 3/0 round bend (Whats on a Weagle) and 6/0 3551 hooks (lot of larger baits or double 10 bucktails). I am selling them at the price I bought them in bulk at 3 years ago which is about 45% less than you will get them in a tackle shop today. All I ask is that you get 100 or more. Also have the #5 adn #7 super strong rings (Joe Bucher)/Worth brand. [email protected] Lots of the smaller bait companies in 2009 bought from me.
Beaver
Posted 1/21/2010 8:55 PM (#418727 - in reply to #418520)

Right on the money h2os2t. The 774s are a much stronger, heavier hook, but I still love the Lasersharps because of the sharpness and better hooking. I use both of them, many times to balance a glider just because of their weight. I have never straightened one out, and if I do you may all kick me in the buttocks. I love the LSharps. They are my number 1 choice. If I must change, I go to the heavier ones.
I bought a bunch of hooks from the Eagle Claw Company Store a few years ago. I don't know if they still have it, but you can find deals on there once in a while.
If I may add....hooks is the one place that you should put up your money and buy the best that you can get, or the ones that you like the most. Don't scrimp on hooks.
Beav
CiscoKid
Posted 1/23/2010 10:37 AM (#418979 - in reply to #418336)

From the side of the consumer, go with the Eagle Claw 774's! The only issue with Eagle Claw is that they don't have anything larger than 5/0!
brmusky
Posted 1/26/2010 8:10 AM (#419579 - in reply to #418336)

My favorite hook is still the lazer sharp. I have been using them on my lures for over 10 years now and the only hook that was bent up did so in the net when the fish was thrashing in the net and the hook stuck in the netting. Other than that hook, I have never straightened a hook on a lazer sharp. They are strong enough. Bigger isn't better in my opinion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)