Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders

Message Subject: thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders
muskie! nut
Posted 1/23/2010 9:13 AM (#418970 - in reply to #418134)
Subject: Re: thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders

Don't deal with eBay and I'm not starting now.
piker
Posted 1/23/2010 9:32 AM (#418972 - in reply to #418970)

hmm ok, maybe you can try some saltwater fishing stores? They most of the time have solid rings
dietmar
Posted 1/23/2010 11:54 AM (#418986 - in reply to #418134)
Subject: RE: thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders

Hello,

I make all my leaders by myself. There are different ways to optimize different solutions.

I use Stay Lok and Berkley Cross Lok Snaps for all kind of lures like glider, diver..... It is important to fix the snap with a shrink tube on the titanium or 7x7 leader. The shrink tube must reach over the crimping sleeve. Never bend a snap!!!! This will weaken the wire. You can open or close a snap for a very long time if you never leave the elastic region. If you add a split ring to every lure you got a bit more security against loosing a lure.

I use spring rings on my leaders for heavy swim baits and very big baits. If I use a monofil I secure every loop with a spring or loop protector (thimble). You can find them in shops for saltwater fishing. On monofile you can't use a shrink tube. So a split ring is the best way. It is a good way to optimize this leader with an additional solid ring.

On a leader for double blades i use two high quality ball bearing (Japan made) swivels, one at each end of the leader in combination with a snap or a split ring.

I add some photos.

Bye, Dietmar

Edited by dietmar 1/23/2010 12:08 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(FCVorfach.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Vorfach1.jpeg (9KB - 152 downloads)
Attachments Vorfach2.jpeg (29KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments Vorfach3.jpeg (9KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments FCVorfach.jpg (81KB - 152 downloads)
Will Schultz
Posted 1/24/2010 1:33 AM (#419129 - in reply to #418960)

muskie! nut - 1/23/2010 9:42 AM

"A solid ring costs like $.10. For how much we spend on other items"

If you can find them. Thornes Bros. has been out of them for at least a year and Rollie & Helen's have been trying to get them, but they say it costs too much. I cut a used BB swivel to use the welded rings for the leaders.

Owner just started selling solid rings (I think as I've never seen them until this year) and you can find them most places. Google "owner solid rings" and you'll find plenty of places with them. They are the best I've seen. Size 5 would be my suggestion the 6.5 are too big for the split ring connection IMO. If you like going w/o a swivel the 6.5 would be great for the mainline/leader connection.
dietmar
Posted 1/24/2010 4:40 AM (#419141 - in reply to #418134)

Hello,

I think the solid rings from Owner are the most expensive rings on the market. But you can find also rings from Shout, Duel, Varivas, Asari, Anglers Pal and other manufacturer in the shops. Such solid rings are thick stainless steel washer with grinded edges.

If you want to start your own solid ring production you need a "vibration tumbler" like this and thick stainless steal washer. A tumbler is a bowl and the better ones have a thick inner coating with polyurethan. A motor keep the bowl in a vibrating movement. Than you put the washer and the ceramic preformed shapes in the bowl. There are different sizes and forms for such abrasive materials on the market. I think for this you need little pyramids. The stones grind and polish the edges of the washer. With this technology it is possible to grind/polish semi precious stones and small parts of metal.

Tight lines, Dietmar

Edited by dietmar 1/24/2010 11:38 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)