Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie color

Message Subject: Muskie color
esoxaddict
Posted 1/20/2010 11:29 PM (#418492)
Subject: Muskie color

I'm sure you guys have noticed this, but muskies (all species of fish, actually) seem to take on the color of the water they are in. The fish in those really dark tannic stained lakes are almost black sometimes, while clear water fish are lighter and seem like they have more defined markings.

My question is this:

Is this genetic? Is it evolutionary in nature, a product of natural selection?

Is it adaptive? If you put a dark colored fish in gin clear water, would it eventually develop a lighter color, or if you put a light colored fish in one of those coffee colored lakes would develop a darker color??

Is it environmental? Does whatever makes the water that color cause the tissues in the fish to attain that color?

I can tell you that fish smell and taste like the lake they came from, but that's a whole other discussion!!
esox2
Posted 1/20/2010 11:55 PM (#418493 - in reply to #418492)
Subject: RE: Muskie color

What you are looking for can be found in here,
http://www.amazon.com/One-Fish-Blue-Read-Myself/dp/0394800133

because real knowledge is in leather-bound books, not the internet.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/21/2010 1:07 AM (#418497 - in reply to #418492)
Subject: Re: Muskie color

That was a question for the biologists around here, and the people who actually KNOW this stuff. Believe it or not, some of the people who post here on a regular basis actually know what they are talking about. Some are guides, some are accomplished anglers, some are tournament pros, some have made their living on fishing. That adds up to many years of collective knowledge and experience.

Some, however? Unfortunately, some are just clowns. You can usually tell by their avatar...
CASTING55
Posted 1/21/2010 1:28 AM (#418498 - in reply to #418497)

my cousin lives around adams wis,he and every body on his street has a small pond in there yard.We caught a bunch of white bass about 6-7 yrs ago and put some in his pond,his pond is a darker color and the white bass became darker color almost black in his pond.
Tim Schmitz
Posted 1/21/2010 5:56 AM (#418500 - in reply to #418497)

Is it adaptive? If you put a dark colored fish in gin clear water, would it eventually develop a lighter color, or if you put a light colored fish in one of those coffee colored lakes would develop a darker color??

I see this with bass on the east end of lake Minnetonka (clear water) I'll catch them pre spawn on rock piles in 10-15fow they are "regular bass" color when I catch those same fish a week later on there beds there black as night they move to a few shallow cuts that have dark bottom.
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/21/2010 7:29 AM (#418507 - in reply to #418492)

esoxaddict - 1/20/2010 11:29 PM

I'm sure you guys have noticed this, but muskies (all species of fish, actually) seem to take on the color of the water they are in. The fish in those really dark tannic stained lakes are almost black sometimes, while clear water fish are lighter and seem like they have more defined markings.

My question is this:

Is this genetic? Is it evolutionary in nature, a product of natural selection?

Is it environmental? Does whatever makes the water that color cause the tissues in the fish to attain that color?

I can tell you that fish smell and taste like the lake they came from, but that's a whole other discussion!!

I don't know about that smell/taste thing, I'll have to leave that up to you, but hopefully this will cover what you are asking.
Google is the bomb, use it.

d) Matching camouflage is extremely widespread, especially in the tropics. There are several excellent examples of fishes that have active color patterns that match their immediate environment. Some fishes even have a repertoire of several adaptive color patterns. George Barlow (1981) recognized up to eleven such color patterns in Badis badis. Most of these patterns were found to match different surroundings.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqscisubwebindex/coloration.htm

Edited by firstsixfeet 1/21/2010 7:34 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/21/2010 10:50 AM (#418545 - in reply to #418492)

Only FSF would post about a Badass fish.
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/21/2010 12:18 PM (#418570 - in reply to #418545)

sworrall - 1/21/2010 10:50 AM

Only FSF would post about a Badass fish.

OK, but then you are saying Gadabout's last name is pronounced,

"GAD'ASS"?
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/21/2010 12:41 PM (#418576 - in reply to #418492)

Fish and reptiles have the ability to manipulate the pigemnt of their skin. They have special cells called chromatiphores (spelling?) that they can open and close. (Fish holding to rocks, dark color, can move to a sandy beach and within minutes can lighten up dramaticaly to blend into the surroundings. Squid, cuttle fish and octopi have such enhanced ability to change color that they are thought to use it as a form of communication. Check out some video of it if you get a chance. Pretty cool stuff.
Posted 1/21/2010 1:59 PM (#418600 - in reply to #418492)

If you sit out in the sun all day will your skin change color? What about if you stay inside all winter? Fish and reptiles/amphibians are not the only animals that adapt to their surroundings. It's the same reason fish kept in live wells turn a lighter color in a short amount of time: adaptation.
esox2
Posted 1/21/2010 3:07 PM (#418617 - in reply to #418497)

esoxaddict - 1/21/2010 1:07 AM

That was a question for the biologists around here, and the people who actually KNOW this stuff. Believe it or not, some of the people who post here on a regular basis actually know what they are talking about. Some are guides, some are accomplished anglers, some are tournament pros, some have made their living on fishing. That adds up to many years of collective knowledge and experience.

Some, however? Unfortunately, some are just clowns. You can usually tell by their avatar...

The above implies I do not KNOW anything. I am a sensitive person, and this hurts my feelings. Calling me a clown based on false, preconceived notions becuase of my avatar is ignorant. Maybe I just enjoy the circus, but the reason for my avatar is irrelevant. I am deeply offended. Sorry for trying to bring about light-heartedness and child-like wonder to the discussion boards.
shaley
Posted 1/21/2010 5:22 PM (#418660 - in reply to #418617)

Heres 2 fish caught the same day 4 hours apart about 400 yards apart, slight color difference. Both taken over weeds in less than 10' of water.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Picture 191.jpg)

(Picture 192.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 191.jpg (180KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments Picture 192.jpg (169KB - 139 downloads)
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/22/2010 12:27 PM (#418844 - in reply to #418600)

Guest - 1/21/2010 1:59 PM

If you sit out in the sun all day will your skin change color? What about if you stay inside all winter? Fish and reptiles/amphibians are not the only animals that adapt to their surroundings. It's the same reason fish kept in live wells turn a lighter color in a short amount of time: adaptation.

It is actually not the same in any way. Getting a tan in the sun or losing your tan in the winter is not a conscious or subconscious act of adaptation. It is an involuntary reaction of the body to the surrounding environment. You have no natural control over getting or not getting sunburn. The only people who can change their color were/are Michael Jackson and Sammy Sosa.

The fish in the livewell analogy is what the original question was about. Light colored live well = fish turn a lighter color..... or the "guest" operating the livewell forgot to turn on the aerator and they are dying.

I could be full of it and am willing to test my knowledge with the help of all "guest" posters. All of you please hold your breath for 10 minutes and report back as to what color you turned.
JKahler
Posted 1/22/2010 4:42 PM (#418877 - in reply to #418492)

I caught one that was gold colored in a small lake I fish. Bright gold! I wish I would have got a picture of it but I was alone. All the others I've caught there were green.
The Toad
Posted 1/22/2010 7:02 PM (#418902 - in reply to #418492)

I have had fish in fish tanks change their coloring, but usually only from light to dark, not actual color changes, but more changes relating to temperature, stress or when they are in a breeding mode. I think fish in the wild develop their color changes through successive generations based on what colors are suited to that particular environment. I think that for some reason a particular pattern or color of fish will do better in an environment than another and eventually that color becomes the predominant color you find. I fish in stocked waters with mutt fish that have come from several different strains of fish and we can find lots of variation in coloration and pattern, although we do find that on different lakes you do encounter a dominant color of fish more often than others, which may indicate that that color is more suited to the environment. But they would probably have to be able to breed in these waters over several generations without additional fish being stocked before you would find that the one coloration and pattern of fish would become the rule rather than a majority.

Here are two fish that I caught within an hour of each other and they both seem to have managed to retain their own individual patterns and coloration without being affected by the water or environment.

(muskie.9.18.05 ed #1.jpg)

(muskie2.9.18.05 ed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments muskie.9.18.05 ed #1.jpg (208KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments muskie2.9.18.05 ed.jpg (156KB - 139 downloads)
leech lake strain
Posted 1/22/2010 8:03 PM (#418916 - in reply to #418902)

The Toad, could that bottom fish be a shoepac while the top pictured fish be a more pure strain? just curious I see alot of both those two looks of fish on a lake that I fish that has alot of shoepac strain muskies!
VMS
Posted 1/22/2010 8:31 PM (#418919 - in reply to #418492)

That bottom fish is definitely not a shoepac strain fish. If it is the lake I am thinking of, that lake was stocked over 30 years ago, and although I feel there is a good potential of some shoepac genetics in the water, The coloring is more of a young pure strain fish.

I have a picture of one I would call a shoepac, but it is about 200 miles from where I sit currently...

Steve
fish4musky1
Posted 1/22/2010 8:46 PM (#418922 - in reply to #418492)

I know that smallmouth bass will change colors based on the water clarity they are living in, probably the same type of thing for muskies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)