Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'd rather have a secret spot than a secret bait" - Doug J chat
- (Added by: mikie)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Flatshads

Message Subject: Flatshads
fatfingers
Posted 1/31/2010 7:53 AM (#420743)
Subject: Flatshads

Wish I could get out to the paint shop more this winter, but its been coooooold out there! Did finish these two to be sold. I'm probably going to make a couple more in these patterns for my personal tackle box.

5 1/2 inch Flatshad in albino shad pattern. I used mostly silvers with a shot of gold and light blue pearl along the back and the lower belly:
Albino Shad
Albino shad

Same size bait (5 1/2 inches) but a golden perch pattern:
Goldperch
goldpercheye
newmuskyz
Posted 1/31/2010 8:40 AM (#420749 - in reply to #420743)
Subject: RE: Flatshads

wow wow wow all i know to say is WOW!!! those are absolutely beautiful! you did a fantastic job!!
Finlander
Posted 1/31/2010 9:15 AM (#420755 - in reply to #420743)

Aha! You Do post elsewhere! Homemade eyes? They look like they sit ABOVE the back of the bait. Love that last paint scheme. How long have youben building your own lures? bhw
muskie54956
Posted 1/31/2010 7:09 PM (#420870 - in reply to #420743)

ive wrote before and im gonna have to find the coin to get one of these ,,,,,they are off the hook,,i could see them getting t-boned big time,,,,,awesome work!!!

Edited by muskie54956 1/31/2010 7:10 PM
ShaneW
Posted 1/31/2010 7:22 PM (#420871 - in reply to #420870)
Subject: Re: Flatshads

I can barely keep my airbrush unclogged... that's really amazing stuff.

Edited by ShaneW 1/31/2010 7:25 PM
FISH WITH TEETH
Posted 1/31/2010 8:30 PM (#420898 - in reply to #420743)

That gold paint job is awesome! How do you fasten the wire into the body that creates your tow eye?
finlander
Posted 1/31/2010 10:44 PM (#420935 - in reply to #420743)

It is prolly thru wire. I tried it on a smaller bait this wiinter, but I fight the wire trying to bend it back and insert it in the tail hole. I try to use this s.s. tig wire from the local welding store. I know nothing bout wire, just that I need to find a softer one. Tips, tips....?
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/1/2010 6:54 AM (#420944 - in reply to #420743)

Love those eyes! Very cool the way you set them in for bot the art and I bet the fishing!
heckster
Posted 2/1/2010 7:17 AM (#420945 - in reply to #420743)

NICE!!!
fatfingers
Posted 2/1/2010 7:35 AM (#420947 - in reply to #420944)

Thanks for the comments. I sincerely appreciate it.

I have written a ton of stuff on how I do the various steps in great detail on a number of message boards. Some here, on TU a few years ago, and again on two others.

FISH WITH TEETH
Posted 2/1/2010 6:47 PM (#421081 - in reply to #420935)

finlander - 1/31/2010 11:44 PM

It is prolly thru wire. I tried it on a smaller bait this wiinter, but I fight the wire trying to bend it back and insert it in the tail hole. I try to use this s.s. tig wire from the local welding store. I know nothing bout wire, just that I need to find a softer one. Tips, tips....?

No, I don't think it is thru wire. It looks like eye screws for the hook hangers. I just started making baits that were NOT thru wire. Using .092 screw eyes. But I am also using a piece of stainless wire for the tow eye just like Fatfingers did on his baits. I drill a hole back into the bait about 2.5 inches and just epoxy the wire into the hole. I was wondering if anybody knows of a better way to attach that wire into the body?
On a side note Finlander, On the thru wires I do, on the tail end, I do not insert the wire back into the body. I us my roundnose pliers to make a loop on the end then. I wrap the wire very tight around it's self about 2-3 times and snip off the tag end close to the body. When I E-tex the bait I seal the wire wraps on the end of the bait.
Fatfingers, You are one awesome bait builder and painter. I always learn from and enjoy your posts.

Edited by FISH WITH TEETH 2/1/2010 7:01 PM
finlander
Posted 2/1/2010 11:30 PM (#421162 - in reply to #420743)

Looking at his bait sent me to the basement after work tonight. I bandsawed out a cedar bait and drilled thru nose to tail. Drilled a hanger hole for the belly hook. I folded over/looped the one wire end and shoved it thru the 6" length. Had to see if I could do it. Then I folded over the other end of the wire and pushed it back in the body. Nice and clean. Mind you I did this w/o even cutting a lip slot. I just wanted to see if I could do it. If it was a thru lip, then I have the problem of wrapping the wire on the butt end. Doesnt look good that way to me. I'm still thinking on how to loop the tail end with a thru lip. I think it can be done. If you run the wire thru the lip, then push the lip as far back against the body nearest the thru hole as you can, not putting the lipp in the slot, it seems this would push the wire out far enough to loop it back into the tail hole. I watched Kingfisher wrestle with the wire on one of his Deep Threats one day, not pretty. Dont want to do it. This way might be good for those who make them for their own use. Dont know if just inserting the wire end back in the hole will stay if you get a Moby on. Wrapping the wire might be more secure if you are going the The Record.
jpodmarsky
Posted 2/2/2010 11:34 AM (#421229 - in reply to #420743)

Vince. Super clean and Super nice!! Great job, The polished edges on the poly lips make for great looking bait. Jerry
kromelure
Posted 2/3/2010 4:25 AM (#421388 - in reply to #420743)

I'm jealous now!!!! You sure you don't need a job painting????lol
Keith www.dutchforkcustomlures.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)