Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Power Handles and Shimano TE

Message Subject: Power Handles and Shimano TE
KSauers
Posted 1/10/2010 8:17 PM (#416590)
Subject: Power Handles and Shimano TE

The answer to the too thick Shimano power handle. Picked it up at the show.
http://www.davesreelservice.com/pages/calcutta-handle-upgrade.php
Plunker
Posted 1/11/2010 4:51 PM (#416733 - in reply to #416590)
Subject: Re: Power Handles and Shimano TE

What do you mean too thick? The one I've got seemed to go on fine did I miss something?
KSauers
Posted 1/11/2010 5:33 PM (#416741 - in reply to #416733)

The power handle s thicker and you lose 2 threads with the nut. It has caused stripped threads and with the machined handles you get the 2 threads back eliminating the stripping.

I saw this problem in my boat last season. The "stem" has very few threads to hold the nut, and when it's tightened a bit too much.....stripped! Also, the LJV doesn't come with a counterbalanced handle. This problem also happened on a couple 400TE's when using the power handle from the TN 14. The "thickness" of the handle is the culprit. Be VERY careful when tightening the nut cap.
-----

Profile Private message E-mail Homepage Top of the page Bottom of the page
BNelson

Posted 9/16/2009 11:20 AM (#400109 - in reply to #400107)
Subject: Re: Shimano Calcutta TE 400 LJV Lucanus Reel Quote Reply Alert

Location: suspended over open water funny, I remember someone in this thread swearing up and down that "you don't need a power handle on a TE"..and that he can reel it just fine w/out... changed his tune I guess.
totally agree with Jonesi above...I have stripped out my TE 2 x w/ the trinidad power hande on it...each of the last 2 seasons...Shimano fixes it no charge but it is a pain to send back ...love the reel w/ that handle but just don't over tighten it...

-----
Brad Nelson
Gliders Suck Pro Staff

lambeau

Posted 9/16/2009 11:54 AM (#400115 - in reply to #334690)
Subject: RE: Shimano Calcutta TE 400 LJV Lucanus Reel Quote Reply Alert

Location: Portage, WI same thing for me on a TE with the Trinidad handle.
it's an awesome setup as a multipurpose reel: powerful, smooth, casts great.

downsides:
- reel engages occasionally right at the start of a cast if you're not paying attention. that can't be good for the gear plus it actually hurts my shoulders from the sudden jolt making sure i don't lose the whole combo into the lake.
- the Trinidad handle is too thick for the post and the nut strips off. i actually lost one of the handles into the drink due to this happening, and at $75 a pop for the handle that's a bad situation.

i'm sending mine back to Shimano to get it fixed and when i get it back i'm going to have the handle worked on my a machinist to make it slightly thinner where it goes on the post and add a counterweight.

-----
Michael C. Winther
http://www.TuffyBoats.com - Serious About Performance.
http://www.Glittertail.com - Custom Musky Lures.
http://www.StealthTackle.net - Clearly the Leader.

Steve Jonesi

Posted 9/16/2009 11:40 PM (#400293 - in reply to #334690)

Mike,
Great idea about the machinist. I thought about how I could "thin" that area of the handle but would rather take it to a professional. Reel engaged? LOL! I had it happen while chucking a souped up Supermodel this Summer and had to roll the line in with my thumbs!! Much broken metal inside the reel. Shimano service was phenomenal but it did cost me $21.95 to ship it out there Priority. The TE with that handle is, without a doubt, my favorite day in and day out with versatility to spare. BN, when we goin' fishin? I love leadcore!!! Steve
-----

PIKEMASTER

Posted 9/17/2009 7:56 AM (#400315 - in reply to #334690)
Subject: RE: Shimano Calcutta TE 400 LJV Lucanus Reel Quote Reply Alert

Have SHIMANO USA order you a drive shaft from a CONQUEST 400 from SHIMANO JAPAN, it is longer then a CALCUTTA 400 TE drive shaft, then you will be able to use a thick power handle. Also replace the clutch spring part # 2711 YEARLY, this will help so the power handle will not engauge when casting.

Profile Private message Homepage Top of the page Bottom of the page
nclaker

Posted 9/17/2009 9:51 AM (#400333 - in reply to #334690)

I put a power handle from a Shimano Tekota onto my 400te. It does have a counter balance. I have never had an issue with it self engaging on the cast. There isn't a bait I've used it on that doesn't allow me to retrieve it with amazing ease on this reel compared to any other I have used. One thing with this handle on the 400TE - when loosening the drag all the way it does rub a bit on the offset part of the handle (when storing the reel) - can still turn it, and it is not a problem at all when the drag is set to it's normal positions.

Profile Private message Top of the page Bottom of the page

Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page] Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Actions
Toggle e-mail notification
Abrams Power Sports

Edited by KSauers 1/11/2010 5:40 PM
jaycbs74
Posted 1/11/2010 9:51 PM (#416781 - in reply to #416590)

My buddy picked up one of those as well and he said he'll machine mine out for just five bucks
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)