Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Frabil 8425 BIG GAME power catch vs Big Kuhuna ?

Message Subject: Frabil 8425 BIG GAME power catch vs Big Kuhuna ?
Posted 1/4/2010 4:02 PM (#415511)
Subject: Frabil 8425 BIG GAME power catch vs Big Kuhuna ?

85% of my fishing i have a partner.
If you were to get a new net, would you get the Big Kuhuna? or the Big Game (power catch?

if you have one, do you wish you had the other? which one do you like the best?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/4/2010 4:06 PM (#415513 - in reply to #415511)
Subject: Re: Frabil 8425 BIG GAME power catch vs Big Kuhuna ?

Powercatch hands down. Big Kuhuna is nice, but the Powercatch has handled 50 inch fish just fine and not nearly as bulky as the Kuhuna.
curleytail
Posted 1/4/2010 4:07 PM (#415514 - in reply to #415511)

If I had a partner most of the time, and the room in the boat for it, I would get the Kahuna. As long as you can store it and handle it, I don't think a net can be to big. I have the Big Game Powercatch, and I like it. It's easy enough to handle alone, which is the way I fish a lot. Like I said though, bigger is better for the fish.

Not sure how netting a fish alone with the Kahuna would be. I know there are people that do it, but I've never had one to try it with.

curleytail
fish4musky1
Posted 1/4/2010 4:30 PM (#415521 - in reply to #415511)

i have the power catch and like it.
mseybert
Posted 1/4/2010 5:21 PM (#415531 - in reply to #415511)

if you have the room, the Kahuna, hands down. Powercatch is fine, but can be a little harder to fold fish into. I have netted fish alone with my Kahuna, and it really is not that bad. Neither is wrong, but imho, the kahuna is better.
AWH
Posted 1/4/2010 5:27 PM (#415532 - in reply to #415511)

Big Kahuna for me. I used to have the next size down on the Frabill and I'm really happy I upgraded. Storage in the boat is the only issue. When I'm by myself it's fine. But when I'm fishing with someone else, finding a good place to put it can be a challenge. Netting fish by myself, the Big Kahuna took a few fish to get used to. But now, I actually find it's easier to net fish with that one than it was fish a smaller net. Harder to make quick movements. But because of the bigger size, you've got more room for error. And there's absolutely nothing better for working on a fish over the side of the boat with the big hoop and bag.

Bottom line for me, if you've got room for it and you think you can handle it by yourself, go with the Big Kahuna. I guess the other part would be where you fish. If you're fishing waters where fish don't get much bigger than mid 40s, no reason for a Big Kahuna.

Aaron
CASTING55
Posted 1/4/2010 9:01 PM (#415566 - in reply to #415532)

If you fish with the same partner alot I would go with the big kuhuna,if you fish with different people who don`t muskie fish alot then the big game.The reason why is the drag of the big kuhuna in the water,if you have never netted a fish with it,it`s a big suprise and your not ready for it.The first time I netted a fish with the big kuhuna I lunged toward the fish with the net,the fish turned and I brought the net backwards,the one hook not in the fishes mouth got caught on the net when I brought it backwards.It was so much net I wasn`t expecting the net to pull back so hard,I ended up flipping the fish in the net.
J Nail
Posted 1/4/2010 10:52 PM (#415581 - in reply to #415511)

powercatch all the way. the big kahuna is too big and slow. I have the smaller powercatch, and haven't found a musky it can't handle. We have had a few 50 plus in there no problem. especially if you are fishing in cold water when the bag stiffens up, and you just about have to go swimming to get the fish out of the kahuna! I had the ultimate cluster#$%^ in august this year while sturgeon fishing. My girfreind's 2 daughters managed to hook a pair of 54" lake sturgeon at the same time, the smaller girl tried to horse her's and broke the rod, so I had to net both of them at the same time, and they both fit! NO Problem! If you don't believe that the powercatch is big enough for ONE 50+ musky, you are mistaken!
Mak51
Posted 1/4/2010 11:06 PM (#415584 - in reply to #415581)

In my first year using the Powercathc with the heavier coated bags, I have had no problems with big fish once they are in the bag.

However, I have run into issues with the heavier-coated bags while fishing by myself + 9ft rods. I had one night this past fall fishing by myself where I hooked four fish, landed one, and lost the other three as they were going in the bag including a high40/low50. I just could not manage the net, long rod, cooler air temps (stiffer bag) and thrashing fish while by myself.... JRedig likely heard me across the bay after #4 swam off. This was the first year using the heavy coated style of bag combined with the other factors. My point, just something to keep in mind. Would I buy another Powercatch? Yes.

CiscoKid
Posted 1/5/2010 7:11 AM (#415607 - in reply to #415511)
Subject: RE: Frabil 8425 BIG GAME power catch vs Big Kuhuna ?

Hands down the Big Kahuna. Even though I guide I also do a lot of fishing by myself. Prior to the Big K I had the Big Game. I find it easier to net fish solo with the Big K just as AWH mentioned. More room for error, and to me when netting by yourself any musky net is bulky and difficult to make quick movements with. It’s like throwing darts at a dartboard. Your skill is the same, but it is much easier to hit the dartboard (Big K) than it is to hit the bullseye (Big Game).

A note on netting fish. I hear a lot of guys complain about the bulky-ness of a musky net. While in some cases you may need to do it, a quick lunging movement isn’t exactly the best way to net a musky IMO. That’s a good way to spook a fish and send it into a different direction than you thought it was going to go, and in some cases causing the hooks to catch the net rather than getting the fish in the net. If you let the angler lead the fish to the bag and simply scoop up with the net the fish remains much more calm, and a lot less fish are lost! The netmans job is to simply hold the net and bag out of the water until the time is right, dip net, and as the fish is lead into the net by the angler the netman scoops up and into the fish. No need to do the lunging, quick scooping method!

I don’t find it an issue storing in the boat while fishing unless you leave it extended. No need to do that with the Power Lok Yoke. Leave it in the storage position, and stand it on end and on one side of the boat. Fold the bag around the hoop.

I wouldn’t be without the Big K, and will not go back to a smaller net again!
sworrall
Posted 1/5/2010 9:49 AM (#415628 - in reply to #415511)

I prefer the Powercatch, especially when fishing with Sue, it's easier for her to deploy and handle.
Posted 1/5/2010 11:23 AM (#415642 - in reply to #415511)
Subject: RE: Frabil 8425 BIG GAME power catch vs Big Kuhuna ?

great, thanks guys. sounds like i'll get a Beckman FinSaver.. ha! just teasing.
i apprecaite all the opinions and experiences shared. nets are expensive.
WI Skis
Posted 1/5/2010 4:47 PM (#415698 - in reply to #415511)

Another vote for the Powercatch for the same reasons that TJ mentioned.

Peter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)