Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Adding Split Rings

Message Subject: Adding Split Rings
hftb
Posted 12/14/2009 7:18 PM (#412760)
Subject: Adding Split Rings

Starting to do an inventory on all my baits during the off-season and I came across a Reef Hawg that I didn't really use this year. I plan on cutting the hooks and adding split rings and new hooks and was wondering if everyone else does the same with any baits that don't have split rings? Seems that without split rings the fish can throw the hook easier once they're hooked.
muskymartin67
Posted 12/14/2009 7:22 PM (#412761 - in reply to #412760)
Subject: Re: Adding Split Rings

I do believe there's a reason why the manufacturer didnt put split rings on it- I would leave it alone as it will likely ruin the action on that particular bait
2T Critter
Posted 12/14/2009 8:07 PM (#412776 - in reply to #412760)
Subject: RE: Adding Split Rings

I have always cut off the hooks and use split rings on Reef Hawgs. I agree the fish can get more torch and possibly through the bait it they are attached to the bait when new. Will it change the action of the lure-probably but Reef Hawgs don't run like a Manta or a Hellhound anyway. Do what you want its your bait. If it doesn't work the way you wanted it to work don't change add split rings in the future.
dcmusky
Posted 12/14/2009 8:08 PM (#412778 - in reply to #412761)

I've cut the hooks off on a couple favorite Reef Hawgs and I just go with a shorter shanked hook or they foul. It doesn't seem to hurt the action at all.
Dan Crooms 54
woodieb8
Posted 12/14/2009 8:13 PM (#412779 - in reply to #412760)

some are designed for rings. here on the great lakes l.s.c. guys dont want rings on trolling applications. hook swing can rash a bait real fast and bad. as for leverage, that happens in the net. a fish in the water has very little leverage as we know it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)