Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> ABU Reels

Message Subject: ABU Reels
Matty
Posted 11/16/2009 9:44 AM (#408908)
Subject: ABU Reels

Hi All,

I have a few Abu Ambassadeur reels and am having an issue with 2 of them. It seems that if I tighten my cast control right down, (for those windy days) it also restricts the reeling of the handle on the retrieve. A friend of mine and I took them a part this weekend for some cleaning and oiling, but I am still having the issue. One is a 6600EXT and one is the C46500 (I believe).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Matty
Halfpint
Posted 11/16/2009 10:26 AM (#408912 - in reply to #408908)
Subject: RE: ABU Reels

The cast control puts puressure on the axel that the spool rotates around...pinches it between the knob and the oposite side of the reel. When you cast, the pressure on that axel keeps the spook from spinning out of control and backlashing. The more pressure you put on that axel, the harder it is to turn the spool.

The thing is, this applies when you are reeling as well...it's just that much harder to turn the reel handle and reel against that pressure from the spool.

The answer is this...you're tightening the cast control way too much. Cast control is about 10% of the help you get on your cast. The other 90% should be your thumb gently putting pressure on the spool on an as needed basis during the cast. So loosen it up. Use your thumb. And you'll cast a lot further and have far fewer backlashes and an easy retrieve.
Musky Madman
Posted 11/16/2009 11:22 AM (#408914 - in reply to #408908)
Subject: Re: ABU Reels

Halfpint is absolutely right. Tightening the brake always makes it harder to reel. Like Halfpint said, loosen it way up. I like to leave mine looser than it should be and control more with my thumb.
Matty
Posted 11/16/2009 11:46 AM (#408919 - in reply to #408908)
Subject: RE: ABU Reels

Thanks guys, that makes total sense. The reason why I thought there might have been something wrong was because i was also holding my buddies ABU Record and could tighten it as much as i wanted and the reel still spun nice and smooth.
reelman
Posted 11/16/2009 2:04 PM (#408937 - in reply to #408908)
Subject: Re: ABU Reels

The abu Record is the only reel out there that the handle will not tighten down when the cast control is tightened down. It is due to the way the spool bearing are in the Record.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)