Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Interesting Thought.....double standards

Message Subject: Interesting Thought.....double standards
Roughneck1860
Posted 11/1/2009 8:07 AM (#407284 - in reply to #406885)
Subject: Re: Interesting Thought.....double standards

The original thoughts behind this when I posted it was of a some what more serious note. You here all the talk with genetics from both groups but like Dirt Esox says its not the only factor in growth......in either species. Genetics, nutrition, population, climate are all determining factors along with management. I'm a firm believer in some kind of regulated harvest when it comes to muskies under certain conditions. My lake is a prime example. It was from harvesting but from a VHS die off killed a huge % of our adult fish population a few years back. A lot of guys were bumed and their egos bruised when they couldn't go out anymore and turn 12, 14 or 18 fish in a day. in all reality is was probably one of the best thing that could have happened to our lake as far as the quality of the fishing goes. this past three months we've had the lake length record broken with a 56 1/8" fish and the weight record broken twice with a 44 1/2lb fish and a couple days ago a 48 1/2lb fish. This is on a lake were most of the muskie world figured any thing over 30lbs was rare.
I wasn't trying to stat any thing with this post like a couple of PM's have suggested but just rather get a look at thing from both sides. Even though Muskie and deer are very different they have a lot of the same factors governing what is called a "trophy" but also have very different outlooks on what needs to be done to mange it.

Good Fishin'
Tim
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2009 8:29 AM (#407285 - in reply to #406885)
Subject: Re: Interesting Thought.....double standards

A couple PMs accused you of 'starting something'??
I think this has been a great discussion. Keep 'em coming.

By the way, if anyone get's a really nasty PM form ANYONE...please notify me immediately.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)