Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> okuma rod not collapsing

Message Subject: okuma rod not collapsing
tkieck
Posted 10/26/2009 12:23 PM (#406465)
Subject: okuma rod not collapsing

After fishing in the rain and snow on Friday my Okuma rod will not collapse. I've tried several things (pounding the butt on the floor, twisting, etc) that have worked before to force it in but it will not budge. Any ideas?
Flambeauski
Posted 10/26/2009 2:06 PM (#406486 - in reply to #406465)
Subject: Re: okuma rod not collapsing

Apply heat (blowdryer) or cold (walk-in cooler or move to northern Wisconsin) to the ferrule followed by tapping the butt on the floor.
PamuskEhunt
Posted 10/26/2009 2:26 PM (#406490 - in reply to #406465)
Subject: RE: okuma rod not collapsing

as flambeauski said, try a ziploc with ice in it on the ferrule for a few mins and then try it
tkieck
Posted 10/26/2009 9:55 PM (#406577 - in reply to #406465)

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately neither heat or cold worked. Could water have gotten in the rod and caused this problem?? I've never had this problem before. A friend suggested silicone spray. Would a silicone spray hurt the pole if I tried to spray it at the slide point and then used heat to draw it in? Or should I'll let it dry upside down by the wood stove for a day or so then try again? Any other ideas? It was a tough weekend - one broken rod, two reels problems, this okuma issue and no fish to show for it!
tkieck
Posted 10/29/2009 6:03 PM (#406997 - in reply to #406465)

I got it!!!

I had to give it one more try today. I filled two bags with ice and packed them around the ferrule and left it there for over an hour. Two pops on the floor and it retracted.

It was near freezing and raining/snowing when I extended it the last time so maybe the rod having been so cold extend out farther than usual. Then when it warmed up the rod expanded and it was too tight to retact. Also, a lot of water drained out of the handle after it retacted so maybe that could have been a factor too??

Don't really know for sure, just glad my Okuma is functioning again!

I did Contact Mark at Okuma. He said he's only heard of this one other time in the 1000's being used. I really do like the rod and will be buying more down the road. Strange things just seem to happen to me...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)