Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spearfishing Carp on the Madison Chain

Message Subject: Spearfishing Carp on the Madison Chain
Steve Reinstra
Posted 1/22/2010 10:03 PM (#418933)
Subject: Spearfishing Carp on the Madison Chain

I came across this cool video on another fishing site. The dudes are spearfishing under the ice for carp in 10 below temps but found a few healthy muskies swimmin by. Warm water power plant inlet attracts tons of fish.

Link is found below.......

esoxaddict
Posted 1/22/2010 10:19 PM (#418936 - in reply to #418933)
Subject: Re: Spearfishing Carp on the Madison Chain

Something I've said for a long time.... There's a lot of really nice muskies in Monona. The problem is that there's so much forage they pretty much just eat whenever they are hungry and that's the end of it.
Dave Williamson
Posted 1/23/2010 5:40 AM (#418946 - in reply to #418933)
Subject: RE: Spearfishing Carp on the Madison Chain

Wow.......That was pretty cool. Hopefully those guys are only spearing carp.
wolftackle84
Posted 1/23/2010 7:31 AM (#418951 - in reply to #418933)

i know where that spot is.... you can look down from the top of the tubes...last year acouple weeks before the ice went out.... i saw atleast 30 muskies about 5 maybe 50s swimming.....awsome spot to see...but drives you crazy untill opener..

tight lines
wers4455
Posted 1/23/2010 7:35 AM (#418952 - in reply to #418951)

anybody else having trouble with the link? The video does'nt even come up on the screen. Is it a youtube?
muskie! nut
Posted 1/23/2010 8:36 AM (#418958 - in reply to #418933)

"The problem is that there's so much forage they pretty much just eat whenever they are hungry"

I think they have so much forage, all they need to do is open their mouths and food just swims in. These fish in the Chain are really fat compared to elsewhere and I heard this from the PMTT guys when they fished here.

"but if I get in the water I can get as close as I want and stress these fish by invading their spawning grounds"

Let's be clear, if these fish do spawn their eggs never hatch. The bottom composition suffocates the eggs, therefore no natural reproduction takes place.

Jamie, I had no issues with the link and I'm using FireFox for a browser and yes it is a youtube link.

Edited by muskie! nut 1/23/2010 9:12 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/23/2010 8:38 AM (#418959 - in reply to #418933)

Cool video.
Magruter
Posted 1/23/2010 8:52 AM (#418963 - in reply to #418959)

nice find!! Some fat mommas swimming around there!!
dtaijo174
Posted 1/23/2010 10:40 AM (#418980 - in reply to #418933)

that was awesome! thanks for posting this.
Steve Reinstra
Posted 1/23/2010 1:23 PM (#418997 - in reply to #418980)

Dave.........Not to worry. These guys are hardcore spear anglers. They only target rough fish. They are very aware of the fish regs. and talk about this on the comments section of the youtube video. Some dumba..es actually thought that the fish they speared was a muskie. Looks like they also took some heat from PETA types in Europe but they smacked back at em.
L Dahlberg
Posted 1/23/2010 1:42 PM (#418999 - in reply to #418933)

Great stuff. Makes me want to jump in the lake.. Like, Right Now, Today!! (Jan 23)
One question though, warm water INLET is mentioned. I've fished lots of warm water outlets (always with great success in cool and cold water periods), where the water that has passed through the plant has been warmed and is discharging into the cooler water from which it was drawn. In late fall, with main body water temps in the mid-thirties, these discharges are often in the low 60's or even warmer. Big temp differential.
The inlet would imply to me you are talking about where the cool water is being drawn into the facility. Those spots are usually good through out the season during generation cycles because of the current that it creates, but in cold water periods rarely holds what the warm water discharge attracts because there's not any temp differential..
Was this place the inlet or the outlet. And if it was the inlet, did you check the outlet also? Just curious.
thanks,
L
jkslayer135
Posted 1/23/2010 1:54 PM (#419000 - in reply to #418933)

its where the warm water comes out
muskie! nut
Posted 1/23/2010 4:30 PM (#419018 - in reply to #418933)

Mr D, you are correct in pointing out the error by SteveR. It is an outlet for a coal fired generating plant. However, Madison Gas and Electric has almost shut it down entirely and is relying on purchasing power for the City from other sources.

One thing I question, is it legal? This is within the city of Madison and I know that shooting a bow within city limits is outlawed, I'm not sure if spearguns are also in that group of weapons. I actually like them shooting them. The last two winters they netted carp under the ice on Lake Wingra (300 acres) and that alone help cleared that lake up. Most years the weeds grow to only about 4 to 5 ft, but this past year, they were growing in 9 ft of water. Its normally is the dirtiest lake on the Chain and now is the clearest during the summer.
jkslayer135
Posted 1/23/2010 4:47 PM (#419020 - in reply to #418933)

Gerard, are u sure that it's illegal to use a bow with in the city? I was hoping to take my bow out with me and shoot some carp while muskie fishing this year. I'm pretty sure that I have seen ppl duck hunting with shot guns on Lake Mendota.
Posted 1/23/2010 5:26 PM (#419026 - in reply to #419018)

muskie! nut - 1/23/2010 4:30 PM

Mr D, you are correct in pointing out the error by SteveR. It is an outlet for a coal fired generating plant. However, Madison Gas and Electric has almost shut it down entirely and is relying on purchasing power for the City from other sources.

One thing I question, is it legal? This is within the city of Madison and I know that shooting a bow within city limits is outlawed, I'm not sure if spearguns are also in that group of weapons. I actually like them shooting them. The last two winters they netted carp under the ice on Lake Wingra (300 acres) and that alone help cleared that lake up. Most years the weeds grow to only about 4 to 5 ft, but this past year, they were growing in 9 ft of water. Its normally is the dirtiest lake on the Chain and now is the clearest during the summer.

Actually, I wasn't trying to point out an error, I was hoping he'd discovered something I may have overlooked! Darn.
And yes, the reduction of carp can do wonderful things to clear up lakes.
This summer I visited a lake I'd not been on since high school. Back then it had the biggest carp I have ever seen; like small barnyard animals approaching 60#. It was turbid and filthy with almost zero weed growth beyond a couple of feet. No measures have been taken to clean it up, but a good bunch Ski's were planted about 20 years ago. They grew like crazy. Now, for some reason (I suspect hungry muskies, but of course that's only a guess) the carp population has diminished to the point where you see very few and water clarity has increased by 6 feet or more and has a 9' weedline, plus coontail and cabbage! And guess what, it yielded the second fattest a musky I have ever seen, ( 40#+ ) my first visit!
btw, interesting question regarding spear gun or bowfishing in city limits. IMO it sure would be dumb if that were the case. Have you ever heard of any innocent bystanders or water toys being punctured by an errant spear or fish arrow?
LD
Bytor
Posted 1/23/2010 6:00 PM (#419032 - in reply to #419026)

You cannot bowhunt in the city of Madison. I'm not sure about spearfishing like these guys are doing but I doubt that it is legal.

Bowhunting for Carp is legal on the non Madison waters on the Yahara Chain. The Mud lakes, Waubesa, Kegonsa and on the Yahara river once you are out of the city limits.

Is anybody ever going to use the proper name for our chain of lakes?
JM
Posted 1/23/2010 6:11 PM (#419034 - in reply to #418933)

Probably not legal, but interesting, none the less. (YouTuber's have a habit of posting illegal behavior in the name of entertainment )

Sort of reminds me of a James Bond movie...
wolftackle84
Posted 1/23/2010 6:45 PM (#419047 - in reply to #418933)

i have see ppl bowfishing in front of the monona terrace by the ski jump....acouple years ago...i know thats in outlawed in madison city limits
Steve Reinstra
Posted 1/23/2010 6:51 PM (#419049 - in reply to #419032)

Troy and Gerard are correct. No use of bows, spears, airguns in the city limits under ord. 25. with a fine up to $429.00. Unless used at an "approved range". As Troy mentioned jurisdictions outside of the city limits allow bowfishing, even duckhunting on the lake shores.

Having said that, and after having been involved in law enforcement in the past, nothing would be done to enforce underwater spearfishing unless a complaint is called in or one of the spear anglers is injured. I am also aware that bowfishing for carp at night has taken place many times in the past on the city side of Lake Monona. Again, probably an ordinance violation but no complaints....... yet.

Edited by Steve Reinstra 1/23/2010 7:05 PM
wolftackle84
Posted 1/23/2010 6:59 PM (#419053 - in reply to #418933)

thats insane that waters not that deep right there....
muskie! nut
Posted 1/23/2010 7:40 PM (#419063 - in reply to #418933)

If you call 25 feet not deep. Its plenty deep trust me. I've had my hands on the wall and the locator was reading anywhere from 25 to 35 ft deep.
longNtoothy
Posted 1/23/2010 8:32 PM (#419079 - in reply to #418933)

fat muskies + 46 and 2? best vid I've seen this year!
Beaver
Posted 1/24/2010 2:04 AM (#419134 - in reply to #419079)

That was a cool video.
Am I the only muti-species angler here? I was starting to get twitchy looking at the quality and numbers of big bluegills that made their appearance on screen. I used to ice fish a lot, and drove from Milwaukee to Madison on many winter 'sick days' just to go catch some "Madison Gills". What a fishery. I saw one very nice pike made it on screen too.
They should make bow-fishing for carp legal and encourage it. I hear that they make great fertilizer.
This isn't in the same area where guys used to fish in an open man-hole in the middle of winter is it?
muskyhunter24
Posted 1/24/2010 9:19 AM (#419164 - in reply to #418933)

Really cool video. In regard to whether what they are doing is legal or not, it may have been illegal when the video was shot, but I just read the regulations for this year (2009-2010) and its perfectly legal to underwater spearfish or use a bow in madison as well as all of dane county. There are some rules on where you can spearfish and use a bow, but it is by no means illegal at all. Here is a list of this years rules http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/regulations/2009/documents/SpearNet0910.pdf
Steve Reinstra
Posted 1/24/2010 10:51 AM (#419178 - in reply to #419164)

Jeff..........Yes, that is the state law, you can clearly use those methods on rough fish in most Wisconsin waters. But local city ordinances like ordinance 25 in Madison prohibits the use of certain weapons within the city limits. It's a ticket issued.

Would someone get hasseled by the city police for spearfishing underwater in the winter time? Probably not, unless a complaint came in. Even then it would more than likely result in a verbal warning with no citation issued.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)