Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St. Croix 7' 9" XXX Heavy?

Message Subject: St. Croix 7' 9" XXX Heavy?
Maverick
Posted 7/29/2009 11:03 PM (#391228)
Subject: St. Croix 7' 9" XXX Heavy?

Does anyone own this rod and what do you use it for? I was thinking of buying one for mags and pounders, but am looking for any input.
curleytail
Posted 7/29/2009 11:16 PM (#391234 - in reply to #391228)
Subject: Re: St. Croix 7' 9" XXX Heavy?

I've never used one, so keep that in mind. Saying that, I've looked at them in stores. That rod sure feels like a pool cue. It probably casts Pounders like crazy, but it seems like it would be tough to keep the rod bent while fighting a fish. I personally hate trying to reel like mad to keep a decent bend in the rod to maintain pressure during headshakes and surface thrashing.

Others might have a different opinion, but I would try to handle one before buying one.

curleytail
Marshall
Posted 7/29/2009 11:17 PM (#391235 - in reply to #391228)

PM Sent
CASTING55
Posted 7/31/2009 5:28 AM (#391511 - in reply to #391235)

the rods like a tree trunk,but will throw anything very big and heavy.I like using mine for the big musky snax gliders that I have,when throwing pounders you really feel alot of pressure on the line since the pole doesn`t bend.If you hook a fish you will get it in very fast if it`s hooked good,probably alot of pressure on the reel also.
Yake Bait
Posted 7/31/2009 9:53 AM (#391535 - in reply to #391228)

You may want to look at the PM86XHF. It has a little bit of give at the tip and can throw just about anything. I toss the big Suzy Sucker lures (which weigh 14 oz) with ease and the rod has plenty of backbone. Also makes a great double 10 or 12 bucktail rod. I've got mine rigged up wtih a 7000 Abu Big Game and I love it.
Medford Fisher
Posted 7/31/2009 10:42 AM (#391549 - in reply to #391228)

Maverick, my fishing partner has the XXXH, and likes it for casting; however, he has lost quite a few fish lately and I tend to think a lot of it is because of what CurleyTail mentioned in that the rod doesn't have much flex in it. If you're looking at it for Pounders/Mags, I would reccomend either the 8'6 Premier that Yake mentioned or even a Shimano Compre 8'0 XH. The XXXH is definitely too much for MagDawgs. Hope you like whatever you choose.
-Jake Bucki
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)