Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Who likes the Burt?

Message Subject: Who likes the Burt?
Cast
Posted 7/17/2009 9:42 AM (#389145)
Subject: Who likes the Burt?

I would like to hear from some folks who have used the Musky Mania Burt successfully. Or who are disenchanted with it. Is it a good bet? What is better, weighted or unweighted?
Thanks.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/17/2009 10:40 AM (#389160 - in reply to #389145)
Subject: RE: Who likes the Burt?

I would guess, I'd have to be in the later group. Probably because I couldn't figure out how to either work it or tune it. I bought it ~ 5-6 years ago. Thought it had great crappie pattern/profile etc. Tried it and most action was just straight cranking - wide wobble. BTW: I was using a 6'6" GLommis jerk bait rod. Saw Pete at the New London Show. In all fairness to him he was probably a bit distracted as he had a seminar coming up. I walked over and asked how to work it- he looked at me like I had a third eye & didn't respond. Sometimes, I do that to folks. The short of the story is I gave it away that spring on a UPPER fishing trip with Ranger & Papa Joe. I don't remember which one got that lure. I did a little tacklebox cleaning sitting around the campfire- great trip.

Maybe some day, I'll be a boat with someone who can make one dance, I couldn't.

Have fun!
Al
AWH
Posted 7/17/2009 10:55 AM (#389163 - in reply to #389145)
Subject: Re: Who likes the Burt?

I have a weighted one. I don't use mine much but the one I have has good action. I use it similar to how I would use a Suick, but a bit more subtle. I hear a lot of people say how theirs don't run well and have to shave the head of the bait to get it to track better. So maybe I just got lucky with mine, but I've never had to do any tuning to it. Unfortunately, I've never caught a musky on mine. Just a bunch of pike and a few bass.

Aaron
keystone
Posted 7/17/2009 12:52 PM (#389197 - in reply to #389145)

I have the crappie colored squirrely burt...I really like it and have caught fish on it. Also, I have not had to tune it. I use a St. Croix 7' med heavy w/ mine. all of mine are unweighted and work good in the weeds.

keystone
jasonvkop
Posted 7/17/2009 2:07 PM (#389213 - in reply to #389145)

Very good bait! I work mine with short/sharp taps to make it dive and rise. Actually very good through weeds and very good hooking percentages since its made out of hard plastic.
Sedlacjj
Posted 7/17/2009 2:15 PM (#389214 - in reply to #389213)

I have a squirrely burt and a regular one no luck on either one. I see lots of guys using them. I lost the tail on mine after like the forth cast.
JKahler
Posted 7/17/2009 3:04 PM (#389223 - in reply to #389145)

Great pike lure, never got a musky to look at one.
Sorgy
Posted 7/17/2009 4:03 PM (#389228 - in reply to #389145)

Want to see a really wild dive and rise bait that the Pike love??? Take a look at a squirly burt (unweighted) I think the rear is cut between the BU RT. Cut right there and you have turned a regular burt into a squirley without the tail. The wild dive and rise the pike love and it is a killer hookup bait.
Go ahead and pull off the tails of your squirly burts as well. Just superglue them on when you want to use it again.

Now wich box did I leave those in???????

Steve
Windburn
Posted 7/18/2009 2:41 PM (#389326 - in reply to #389145)

I like them, work great in the weeds. Very erratic similar to a glide bait if they are running right. Short snaps work best for me.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 7/18/2009 8:02 PM (#389344 - in reply to #389145)

Love the weighted squirley Burt. Has great action with an enticing tail. And it gets down to just the right depth. Don't like the unweighted regular as much. Found it to just skip on top of the water basically. Short snaps (as everyone has been saying) work the best. If there is a follower, I'll just stop the bait. It'll hang there with the tail wiggling, and more times than not, the fish will charge it.
bigbite
Posted 7/19/2009 10:04 AM (#389393 - in reply to #389344)

What Jim said. I tend to favor the weighted model as well. We've caught more Pike on them then Musky though. I believe that was mentioned earlier in the thread and I really don't have an explanation for it.
muskytom50
Posted 7/19/2009 10:57 AM (#389402 - in reply to #389145)

I have a weighted Burt that is white with a black top. It is an excellent low light and night bait. For some reason the white works well for me with this lure on a low light night with almost no moon or no moon at all. I cast it out just off the weedline in spring and summer mostly and give it two short, slow downward snaps and then a pause. That retrieve either ticks them off or something and most of them t-bone it. It is a loud lure and like Jasonvkop said it has high hookup percentage. I have lost maybe 2 on this lure and caught at least 20 muskies. I also catch the ocassional nice Walleye. The action on mine goes side to side and up and down on the twitches. The side to side is more prominant than the up and down. So I like the lure and would recommend a white one that is weighted for night fishing.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 7/20/2009 9:58 PM (#389639 - in reply to #389145)

Unweighted...redhorse pattern...quick, repeated pops, snaps to keep it diving...many, many fish caught. I have two others a weighted orange tiger squirly and a weighted black crappie....neither of them get much game time...will trade for unweighted models.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)