Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Mille Lacs Hybrids...dead issue?

Message Subject: Mille Lacs Hybrids...dead issue?
Clark A
Posted 7/14/2009 10:34 PM (#388727)
Subject: Mille Lacs Hybrids...dead issue?

It has been almost 10 years since I've last heard of a tiger from Mille Lacs. At the rate they were growing I would have bet the farm that the next World Record would have came from that body of water. Does anyone know where they came from? Were they Shoepac, Leech, Wisconsin "McKenzie"/Big Mille Lac Pike strain fish or stocked?
Baby Mallard
Posted 7/14/2009 11:32 PM (#388730 - in reply to #388727)
Subject: RE: Mille Lacs Hybrids...dead issue?

I would say it's a dead issue.  I have not personally ever seen one or heard of a tiger in a long time.  There might be a stray here and there, but definitely a rarity.
happy hooker
Posted 7/15/2009 3:13 PM (#388836 - in reply to #388730)

I dont think they stocked any tigers in Mille lacs????
the Minn Dnr estimates stocked tigers live on average 7 years so if they were stocked it most likely is a "dead' issue
ILGreenhead
Posted 7/15/2009 8:57 PM (#388865 - in reply to #388727)
Subject: Re: Mille Lacs Hybrids...dead issue?

If there are Muskies and Northerns in there (which we all know there are), then there has to be some tigers in there somewhere! They naturally inter-breed in the same waters frequently!
JKahler
Posted 7/16/2009 12:42 AM (#388894 - in reply to #388727)

A guy in the MI chapter I'm in says he saw or caught one there. I don't know how long ago. I don't see why they wouldn't show up occassionally.

Maybe the pond is too far south for them to be a regular occurrance?
Matt
Posted 7/16/2009 8:25 AM (#388920 - in reply to #388727)

I saw a floater last year it looked to be nice size, ill check and see if I still have the pic....
Herb_b
Posted 7/16/2009 9:34 AM (#388932 - in reply to #388727)

My understanding is that the Leech Lake strain Muskies tend to spawn later and in different locations than the Pike. So, in MN the odds of getting natural tiger Muskies is generally much lower than in some northern WI waters. Muskies and Pike tend to use the same spawning areas more in northern WI and the Muskies there also tend to spawn a little earlier. So, the odds of early spawning female Muskies and late spawing male Pike meeting up in northern WI waters is simply much higher.

A classic case is Leech Lake where there are both big Pike and Muskies. I don't know if anyone has ever caught a tiger on Leech, but I have never heard of one. There the Muskies usually spawn much deeper than the Pike. The Pike prefer the shallows and the Muskies spawn more in the 10 to 15 ft depths.

I have seen and caught a few tiger Muskies on Lake Minnetonka over the past ten years. Those may have just been from accidental stockings. However, the Muskies may attempt to spawn in the same areas as Pike due to the limited spawning areas. So it appears that some natural tiger production could occur on Minnetonka.

All that said, I wouldn't expect to see to many tigers on any of the MN pure-strain waters.

Good fishing all.
AWH
Posted 7/16/2009 1:25 PM (#388979 - in reply to #388727)

I seem to remember that they have done some limited tiger stocking in Minnetonka. I could be wrong on that though. Excellent point on the spawning habits of the Leech Lake strain. This has a definite effect on the limited numbers of natural tigers in MN compared to what you see in WI.

Aaron
JRedig
Posted 7/16/2009 2:18 PM (#388990 - in reply to #388979)

AWH - 7/16/2009 1:25 PM

I seem to remember that they have done some limited tiger stocking in Minnetonka. I could be wrong on that though.

1 year I believe, couple hundred pounds of fish.
muskyjim
Posted 7/16/2009 3:57 PM (#389011 - in reply to #388727)

Three years ago we saw one on the west side of the lake. It got our attention as it did the head out of water trick. It was only about 15' from the boat in calm conditions and there was no doubt it was a tiger. We were surprised, but knew it was not impossible.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)