Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Top raider = missed strikes

Message Subject: Top raider = missed strikes
T bone
Posted 7/17/2009 11:22 AM (#389169)
Subject: Top raider = missed strikes

In the passed I never used a top raider very much. I prefered my stomper or other similar types of rear prop baits. I have seen a ton of strikes on (my boat partners) top raiders but most are missed strikes. Yesterday I gave my top raider a try and had a fish blow up on it 4 times in 2 casts. Never got hooks in her. And not because I set the hook and pulled it out of her mouth. This seems to happen all to often with this bait. Any body else expeience this more with the top raider than other similar baits. Oh yeah, I never did get the fish - went back at her with a sky walker and she missed that too - never saw her again - story of my life this season.

Edited by T bone 7/17/2009 11:25 AM
IAJustin
Posted 7/17/2009 11:26 AM (#389171 - in reply to #389169)
Subject: Re: Top raider = missed strikes

Many time muskies will "hit" topwaters with their mouth closed and are nearly impossible to hook on any topwater bait- but a Topraider is a VERY good hooking topwater when they actually open their mouth.
JBush
Posted 7/17/2009 11:40 AM (#389176 - in reply to #389171)

Far and away the most productive surface bait we use. If a muskie opens its mouth I think you've got a good chance on just about and straight-reel prop, no? Straight reel baits (head spin and tail spin) are the best surface lures we use for hooking %age. Jointed Beleiver or other slow crawlie wouuld be very close 2nd. Not sure how a Top Raider would hook any differently than a lot of other tail baits in that same size/shape/action class. They will ram other baits with a closed mouth too, had it happen on jerkbaits, blades and trolling as well. One thing I've noticed where I fish is that muskies smash Topraiders harder than any other surface bait. Its almost like they're trying to snap it in half. We cut the hooks out of pretty well every fish and the hits are usually hi-light reel stuff, fast and hard. Hooking up with a walk the dog, that's another story!!

Edited by JBush 7/17/2009 11:41 AM
AWH
Posted 7/17/2009 12:25 PM (#389188 - in reply to #389169)

My hooking percentage has been very good on Top Raiders. The Top Walker has probably been my only top water that has had better hook up rates in my boat.

Aaron
muskiewhored
Posted 7/17/2009 1:19 PM (#389202 - in reply to #389169)

I have actually up sized the front hook on my topraiders to just barely touch the blade on rotation(6 or 7), this also causes slightly more and two different sounds from it. Works very well IMO.
allegheny river kid
Posted 7/17/2009 4:04 PM (#389229 - in reply to #389169)

I've had lots of hit on topraiders when nothing else would even move fish. Most times never feeling the fish strike or even bump the bait. I dont even think they are opening their mouths, more or less trying to scare the intruder out of there zone. I've caught fish with them too and when they hit they typically get hooked well. I did put an oversize 7/0 hook on the back like bucher suggests. When they want them they will get them.
619musky
Posted 7/17/2009 4:29 PM (#389233 - in reply to #389169)

ya if your not feeling them their either missing it on accident or just slashing at it to defend their turf.
Beaver
Posted 7/17/2009 9:35 PM (#389268 - in reply to #389233)

I upsize both hooks. If you look at a new Topraider from the nose, the end of the prop sticks out farther than the rear hook barbs. I put on a long shank 7/0 on the rear of all of my Topraiders.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)