Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shimano Torium??

Message Subject: Shimano Torium??
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 10/3/2009 12:13 PM (#403024)
Subject: Shimano Torium??

Who has any experience with these reels either the 14 or 16. I was looking to get one and wanted to hear the good and the bad. Was looking at this reel as an alternative to a Trinidad. Whats the main difference between the two? the bearings? I would love to a have a trinidad but more $$$
thanks
Bobby
Posted 11/3/2009 9:19 PM (#407571 - in reply to #403024)
Subject: RE: Shimano Torium??

I have the Torium 14 and use it on my St. Croix Slingblade for double cowgirls. The reel has worked flawlessly for me this past summer on Lake of the Woods. I had no problems with backlashes, as long as my "spool control knob" was correctly adjusted, as with other baitcast reels - I'm not the best at thumbing the line and this worked well for me. Nor did I have any problems due to the absence of a levelwind and line not laying properly on the reel. I used 100lb Powerpro. One needs to point the rod tip right at the lure during retrieval, as mentioned in other posts, to ensure proper winding of the line. BUT, who doesn't point right at their double cowgirls during the retrieve?! A masochist, maybe. I doubt that a narrower spool would have made any difference - like I said, I had no problems.

I have an assortment of Abu's, including a Revo 60, but this is BY FAR the way to go for bringing in double cowgirls. I was not disappointed and saved myself a lot of money over the Trinidad. I wouldn't bother spending the extra money, my personal opinion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)