Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Surgery Again!

Message Subject: Surgery Again!
MuskieMedic
Posted 6/9/2009 9:35 PM (#383039)
Subject: Surgery Again!

Well, once again my spine has failed me. I started playing hockey when I was five all the way through high school and beyond. Then, I have lived my childhood dream of being a firefighter/paramedic for many years. This is not a good combination of athletics and career for ones spine. To add on to that I have this crazy obsession of muskie fishing, throwing large baits in a bobbing boat for hours and years on end.

I hurt my back initially in April 2003 on a Wildland fire in Stevens Point of all things. I had my first surgery, a Minimally Invasive Microdisectomy that July and was back to things full swing after few months. Fast forward to mid 2005 and the same disc (L5-S1) went out again, plus L4-L5 to boot. I had another Microdisectomy in May of 2005, once again a few months later back to normal. For some reason that fall my disc between C5-C6 decided it wanted to join the party and I had Laminectomy on that one in early November 2005, two weeks after our wedding as a matter of fact!

We will fast forward again to December 2008. L4-L5 herniated once again, this time with no injury to speak of. It actually started with just parathesia in my left great toe. By the end of December I actually landed in the hospital for a few days for pain control. After the usual conservative treatment of injections, PT, and medications I have come to a much more serious decision and will be having a TLIF (Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion) of L4-L5.

This is going to be very hard for me and especially hard for my wife Julia since we have a beautiful 10-month old daughter Malia. I won't be able to pick her up for over 3-months after Monday the 15th. I have taken this part the hardest, since she means the world to me. Fortunately, though I will still be able to hold her in my lap all the time, and this is one of her favorite things to do. I feel bad that Julia will have to do everything, for many weeks including cooking, laundry and taking care of my little peanut, and me. If I waited any longer, Malia would be that much heavier and I would have to wait even longer to lift her etc.

The good news, is of course this should put an end to all my troubles down there as long as I stick with the program. I know there are several of you guys and gals out there that have been through this before. Beaver comes to mind, I know we've chatted about this before.

I am by no means a religious person, so I am not asking for prayers. Just good old fashioned luck. Another good thing to come will be spending a lot of time on MuskieFirst where I can lend my experience more often and create new and lasting friendships as I have since the site was started. Thanks Steve, Andrew and Mike for providing the top notch site that it is today. My goal is to be back on the water mid-October at the latest. Wish me luck and see you around. Tight lines and go stick a slob for me.

P.S. I attached a pic of my daughter for your viewing pleasure, and mine of course! LOL!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Malia2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Malia2.JPG (60KB - 79 downloads)
VMS
Posted 6/9/2009 9:49 PM (#383041 - in reply to #383039)
Subject: Re: Surgery Again!!

Hiya,

May your surgery and recovery go extremely well!! Hopefully the time will pass quickly and you'll be back up to speed in a short while.

Steve
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/9/2009 9:56 PM (#383043 - in reply to #383039)
Subject: RE: Surgery Again!!

Good luck Medic. I know the L5-S1 feeling, fortunately mine isn't too terrible yet. Hope the surgery goes well for you and the recovery process is speedy.
sworrall
Posted 6/9/2009 10:09 PM (#383045 - in reply to #383039)

Medic, you can come bob around in a comfortable, padded seat in my rig when you begin to heal up. Little lakes, nothing over an idle.
Mauser
Posted 6/9/2009 10:29 PM (#383049 - in reply to #383039)

Medic,
Broke my neck in '04 so I know what your dealing with and these people gave me all the support that I could ever hope to get. My prayers are with you and I'm sure many on this board feel the same. Heal up dude, and good luck with you recovery.

C.J. Cantley aka Mauser
Boots
Posted 6/10/2009 3:29 AM (#383062 - in reply to #383039)

Best of luck from one of your fellow brothers in bunkers!
Tony Spicker
Posted 6/10/2009 3:59 AM (#383063 - in reply to #383039)
Subject: RE: Surgery Again!!

I know the feeling, broke my back in two places. Long recovery...

Hope all goes well for you! If I had to do it all over again, I would do it in a heart beat. The before and after was night and day.
Pikopath
Posted 6/10/2009 5:31 AM (#383065 - in reply to #383039)

Hoi Derek! Hope you recover till whenever I get to go to WI again
And with the speed I managa to save money, you will

Michael
Vince Weirick
Posted 6/10/2009 6:29 AM (#383069 - in reply to #383039)

Hope everyone that has had some sort of back injury/surgery is doing great now! I work for the largest spinal implant company in the world, Medtronic. I am sure some of you have our parts. I find it fulfilling to be able to produce a great product for people in need. Good luck and a speedy recovery!
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/10/2009 6:34 AM (#383070 - in reply to #383039)

A good surgeon goes a lot farther than hoping for good luck on this one.

Be careful on the rehab.
tuffy1
Posted 6/10/2009 8:06 AM (#383082 - in reply to #383070)

Good luck with your surgery Derek! Get healed up and bouncing that little cutie on your knees.
Ifishskis
Posted 6/10/2009 9:10 AM (#383091 - in reply to #383039)

Good luck Derek. Keep a pic of the family close by at all times. Pre and post cancer surgery...having a pic of my family that I could hold helped me through some tough times.
ghoti
Posted 6/10/2009 10:05 AM (#383102 - in reply to #383039)

Best of luck Derek! The fish will wait. If you need a hand with anything, give me a call.
esoxsmd
Posted 6/10/2009 10:40 AM (#383108 - in reply to #383039)

Keep with the recovery program, and you'll pull through it. I had my surgery in '98, and it started similar to yours, but the side of my foot was affected instead of the toe. Just don't rush getting the mobility back... the fish will be there upon your return.
rldourlain
Posted 6/10/2009 11:16 AM (#383112 - in reply to #383039)

Derek

Just went through something similar. had a fusion on c5-6 two years ago, just had c4-5 & C6-7 done on April 22. I have the go ahead to swing a club and throw a lure this weekend if I feel up to it. Seems like you will never see the end of pain and you will wake one morning and feel great!

Good luck. You will be holding the little one and fishing before you know it.
MuskieMedic
Posted 6/10/2009 11:32 AM (#383117 - in reply to #383039)
Subject: Re: Surgery Again!

Thanks everyone, I knew there are several of you in the same boat (bad pun). Steve, I will definately take you up on the offer. Maybe we can hit George again upon my return.
ToddM
Posted 6/11/2009 12:54 PM (#383316 - in reply to #383039)
Subject: RE: Surgery Again!

MM, I hope all works out well for you. I do not have an issue with my spine but I do with my lower back muscles. If I do not stretch or excersize, they tighten up to the point I cannot even get out of bed. Sitting and laying down are the worst things for it. The more stretching and excersize and activity, the better it feels. I call it a maintenance program.
MUSKYBOY
Posted 6/11/2009 4:20 PM (#383360 - in reply to #383039)

Derek, best of luck on a speedy recovery and thanks for taking me out fishing in the past.

Steve
Allstate48
Posted 6/11/2009 5:40 PM (#383376 - in reply to #383039)

Best of luck, and hoping all goes well. Good luck Doug
knooter
Posted 6/11/2009 11:10 PM (#383447 - in reply to #383039)

I'm going to eventually be in the same boat. At age 30 I had two bulging discs, L5-S1 and L4-5, and it was pretty tolerable after a couple facet joint neuropathies, which is where they cauterize the nerve that sends pain signals from the facet joints. Everything was going ok until last June when I had an extension ladder spin out from under me at work. I fell about twelve feet and woke up some forty minutes later with a concussion and brain bleed, two lacerated elbows and some torn cartilage and sprained ligaments in my left knee. As the pain from the fall slowly went away I realized that my back pain had quickly worsened. After 6 months of physical therapy this last fall and winter I got a new MRI to compare with my most recent scan. It turns out I have a large tear in L5-S1 and a few other significant changes. I'm still dealing with terrible headaches and what has now become chronic back pain. I've had mornings where I woke up at 3:30 in full body sweats unable to sleep through the pain any longer. It really makes it difficult to enjoy the little things in life. Musky fishing is a distraction for me, and is one of the only things that I've found where hours go by without thinking about the pain. My wife doesn't buy it, but it really does help me mentally cope. I hope my doctors figure out a minimally invasive solution for my back pain, as fusion is a last resort for me. Sounds like you've been through a lot already so in a way it will be a relief once you get through this ordeal. Good luck with everything, let us know how recovery goes.
Riverman
Posted 6/11/2009 11:13 PM (#383448 - in reply to #383039)

I hope it all goes well for you!!

Jed V.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 6/12/2009 12:41 AM (#383456 - in reply to #383039)

Prayer may not be the thing for you but you'll be in at least one anyway. Moreso that you can fully enjoy, teach, interact, and play with etc etc etc that cute little darling of a 10 month old you pictured there. Then somewhere on down the road muskie fishing will find its proper place....Best of luck to you!!!! I guess a little luck (good luck that is) never hurt anyone after all.

Karl
esox911
Posted 6/15/2009 3:49 AM (#383786 - in reply to #383039)

Good luck with the recovery---Have some back Issue's myself. I am sure Being able to have that lttle girl sitting on your lap will make the recovery seem much easier. Nothing like the smile and feeling a child will bring to you---and when your all healed up--Your first Musky fishing trip will be just another reward.
MuskieMedic
Posted 6/18/2009 1:44 AM (#384286 - in reply to #383039)

Good news everyone! I'm currently sitting on the edge of my bed and am feeling pretty darned good. My left leg pain is completely gone, and the back pain really isn't that much worse than what I was having. I have been walking around the floor regularly and am doing my PT exercises. I am going to be discharged sometime mid-day Thursday, a full day ahead of schedule!! You will see my on the water this fall!!
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/18/2009 1:51 AM (#384287 - in reply to #384286)

Good to hear Medic. Grab some waders this fall and really put the doc's handy work to the test in the river
MuskieMedic
Posted 7/11/2009 8:08 PM (#388133 - in reply to #383039)

Well, I'm over three weeks out from my surgery and I am doing better than most people at this point. I've been pretty hardcore with my rehab. I've been walking like crazy and am now doing to 1.5 mile walks per day. I'm incredibily bored most of the time, but well on my way to being able to chuck some baits this fall. In about 4 weeks I'll be able to fish from a pontoon boat for panfish and the father in law has been limiting out everyday at their house so I can't wait to at least get a line wet that way. I'm hope I don't gross you out too much but I attached a pic of my op site that i took today. It's hard to believe that they were able to put a cage between the vertebrae, four titanium screws and two new high tech rods through those two 3-inch incisions. Dr. Bunch in Wausau is fantastic and I would highly recommend him to anyone. He has patients come from all around the midwest. Good luck everyone and I can't wait to get the Tuffy wet, it's very sad to see it sitting in the garage. Later!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(4th of July 2009 073.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4th of July 2009 073.jpg (36KB - 81 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 7/11/2009 9:18 PM (#388142 - in reply to #383039)

I have a rig with a spring mounted passenger chair in two places...anytime.
PSYS
Posted 7/12/2009 7:02 AM (#388171 - in reply to #383039)

Good luck for a speedy recovery... take it easy, man.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)