Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Snaps vs split rings

Message Subject: Snaps vs split rings
esoxaddict
Posted 3/18/2009 12:49 PM (#366870)
Subject: Snaps vs split rings

I'm pretty anal about replacing my terminal tackle, changing snaps when they get loose etc. Currently using the Stay-lok snaps, and I've never had one break or come apart.

But I am considering just going with a solid ring on my leaders, and putting a split ring on every bait. The only disadvantage I see is losing the ease of being able to change lures quickly, especially when it's cold and your fingers aren't working well.

Those of you who transitioned away from snaps:

Why did you do it? Ever had a (quality) split ring fail? Any issues at all?
Reelwise
Posted 3/18/2009 12:57 PM (#366873 - in reply to #366870)
Subject: Re: Snaps vs split rings

Witnessing snaps open on other peoples fish and having one open on a glider got me to switch over. I usually have a couple rods rigged up and ready to go so switching lures isnt a concern. Even if it were, it doesnt take long to switch at all. I have noticed that some baits react differently, so I will use snaps for certain lures. Like the Squirko for instance. It works the way I want a lot better with a snap rather than a split ring for some reason.
bn
Posted 3/18/2009 1:00 PM (#366874 - in reply to #366870)
Subject: RE: Snaps vs split rings

I've been a split ring guy for 10 yrs...there is no need to put a split ring on every bait...I use split rings on all my leaders except the leader I throw cranks on, that I use a stay loc...I use a solid ring on the end of my leaders then a split ring..simply leave the split ring on the leader and use a pair of split ring pliers to change baits... I can switch a bait as fast as anyone w/ a snap...when the split rings gets "old" from opening and closing it so many times simply put on a new one...putting a split ring on all baits is totally unnecessary

bobtodd
Posted 3/18/2009 1:00 PM (#366877 - in reply to #366870)

I was wondering the same question. I just put split rings on all my baits and will be trying it out this summer.
Oneida Esox
Posted 3/18/2009 1:59 PM (#366885 - in reply to #366870)

I stopped using snaps because I saw too many random open snaps and just didn't want to risk having a snap open while fighting a fish. Imagine how disappointed you would be if you are fighting the fish of a life time only to loose because a snap opened.

That said, split rings are cheap and unlike what bn does, I have a split ring on every lure. I tried it his way many years ago, but found it was much easier to change a lure when all you have to do is thread the leader wire through a split ring instead of having to thread the line tie of the lure through the split ring.

Once you are used to it, you can change a lure as fast if not faster than someone using snaps. I would highly recommend a split ring for every lure.

John
twells
Posted 3/18/2009 2:44 PM (#366889 - in reply to #366870)

I switched over to split rings a couple of year ago and do not regret it at all. I have had a couple of good snaps open on both fish and when casting. I carry a split ring pliers with me or leave the thumb nails (not cut all the way down) and it is a piece of cake. Like others have said before once you are use to it you can change as fast as others with snaps. The other thing is that it is a piece of mind and personal preference. Stealth leaders make a great floro leader with the solid rings right on them and very dependable.
AWH
Posted 3/18/2009 4:50 PM (#366917 - in reply to #366870)

I had a few issues with snaps when I first started fishing muskies. Luckily, it never cost me a fish. But I switched from some of the name brand snaps to a Stay-Lok snap about 6 years ago and have never had an issue since. Best snap I've ever used and no reason to try anything else for me.

Aaron
stdevos
Posted 3/18/2009 8:22 PM (#366948 - in reply to #366870)

I have seen hundreds of muskies caught on a stay-lok snap and have only had the snap open up on one occasion, I am ok with those odds. The odds of me dropping the split ring pliers in the lake or forgetting to bring it along... much much greater. Which is a problem since if I did switch, I wouldn't use the ones that you can open with your fingernail. Then factor in the number of times I'll likely forget where I set the pliers, there would be no way I would be able to change a bait faster. So to me, not worth it. If I was still using the old south bend leaders still, I would definitely consider it.

If you've never had a stay-lok fail, then why change?

Edited by stdevos 3/18/2009 9:52 PM
muskihntr
Posted 3/18/2009 8:52 PM (#366959 - in reply to #366870)

i offer solid rings as an option on all my leaders, and they are 100% reliable. however i have never had a failure with a genuine stringease stay-lok snap ever. nor have any of my pro staff members. there are knock off stay lok snaps out there so you must be careful. all our leaders use only genuine stringease stay lok snaps purchased straight thru stringease. if you purchase a leader that looks to have a stay lok snap on it be sure the package states it is a stringease(tm) or patented stay-lok(tm) on the package. also be smart with any snap that you choose to use. when you notice the color wearing off or the snap getting easier to open and close, that means it is time to change it out. dont wait til something bad happens. change it.

Edited by muskihntr 3/18/2009 8:54 PM
stdevos
Posted 3/18/2009 9:09 PM (#366963 - in reply to #366870)

Is it safe to assume that the snaps sold in small baggies at thornes and Rollies are stringease? Now you got me worried.
muskihntr
Posted 3/18/2009 9:16 PM (#366965 - in reply to #366870)

i know rollies carries genuine stringease stay loks, i am not sure about thornes.
jasonvkop
Posted 3/18/2009 10:26 PM (#366975 - in reply to #366870)

I switched over to split rings this past year and am glad I did. I wouldn't put them on all your baits though, just on the end on the leader. A snap can still get caught at a wrong angle in the eye of the lure and can get broken off by leverage. I also think it will be easier to change when it's cold out (if wearing gloves) as an O'ring pliers would be much easier to grab than a small snap. Like most people have already said on here, when you get the hang of changing lures with an O'ring it doesn't take any time at all.
jay lip ripper
Posted 3/19/2009 3:03 AM (#366994 - in reply to #366870)

i have been useing split rings for 2 seasons now without a single issue. i like the spro size 6 150lb, some will be on there third season and as tight as the first time i put them on. i put them on just about every bait. then i have been putting wolverine size 5 200lb on my leaders and i use a pair of rapala split ring pliers from R & H to put the spro over the wolverine. it takes a few seconds to change baits and i know it wont fail.when i have to use snaps, stay-loc all the way!!!
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/19/2009 7:34 AM (#367001 - in reply to #366870)

I tried the split ring thing and found it a total pain in the butt. Unless you have gorilla hands you can't use your fingernails to open a good split ring so you better have a few pliers around. Now try to do the split ring when you're in 3' rollers or at night. Not only that but when the ring gets a little worn and doesn't close all the way you WILL have problems when using wire leaders. I lost a couple baits and could have lost a lot more that I caught right before the wire had gone through the ring.

Keep your life simple and just spend the extra $.10 on the Stringease snaps.
Will Schultz
Posted 3/19/2009 10:45 AM (#367033 - in reply to #366874)

bn - 3/18/2009 2:00 PM

I've been a split ring guy for 10 yrs...there is no need to put a split ring on every bait...I use split rings on all my leaders except the leader I throw cranks on, that I use a stay loc...I use a solid ring on the end of my leaders then a split ring..simply leave the split ring on the leader and use a pair of split ring pliers to change baits... I can switch a bait as fast as anyone w/ a snap...when the split rings gets "old" from opening and closing it so many times simply put on a new one...putting a split ring on all baits is totally unnecessary

Agree 100%! I've been only using plit rings more than 15 years and have always rigged it as noted by bn because of the problem noted by Shawn. A solid ring and a split ring on the leader without a split ring on the lures. I go through about 15 split rings a year in more than 500 hours on the water.

Edited by Will Schultz 3/19/2009 11:44 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)