Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St Croix Premier Broke

Message Subject: St Croix Premier Broke
Esoxmtk
Posted 3/8/2009 6:55 AM (#364874)
Subject: St Croix Premier Broke

I have a practically band new 6'9" St Croix Premier that i got last September 08 and i only used it once last fall for about 2 hours. I used it again yesterday and i was casting a 9" grandma and the rod broke about a foot down from the tip. Has any body ever experienced this happening with a rod that has hardly been used? I signed up for St Croix's warranty last fall when i got the rod. How are they with replacing a rod under warranty or do they just fix it?

Edited by Esoxmtk 3/8/2009 7:50 AM
gtp888
Posted 3/8/2009 7:03 AM (#364875 - in reply to #364874)
Subject: RE: St Croix Premier Broke

I'd have to say from my experience with the Premier line, that what happened to you was a total fluke. I've had St. C Premiers for years in multi species rods, including the musky line, and all have performed flawlessly. I've had to have one line guide replaced by St. Croix on a lighter casting rod and had it back in hand, fully repaired, exactly one week from the day I sent it to them.
porterhouse
Posted 3/8/2009 7:30 AM (#364876 - in reply to #364874)
Subject: Re: St Croix Premier Broke

That is strange. I've been using St. Croix Premier rods over 10 years and never had one problem with them. This also includes the spinning rods premier line.

Brian
lambeau
Posted 3/8/2009 8:44 AM (#364880 - in reply to #364874)

How are they with replacing a rod under warranty or do they just fix it?

St Croix has a very good warranty and service reputation.
what they do will depend on the kind of damage, what caused the damage, and whether or not it's repairable. my guess is that a completely broken rod would be quite difficult to repair.

contact them directly, they also have links for printing shipping labels:
http://www.stcroixrods.com/content.asp?id=14
bobtodd
Posted 3/8/2009 8:52 AM (#364881 - in reply to #364874)

Like Lambeau said, St.Croix has great customer service. Get ahold of them and they will help you out. I just had two of my rods replaced by them.
gopackgo
Posted 3/8/2009 10:30 AM (#364887 - in reply to #364874)

Call Dan in service -- he's great and will take care of you. You'll have a new rod within days of them receiving your broken rod if you experience is like mine have been. Not to worry.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 3/8/2009 11:03 AM (#364889 - in reply to #364874)

Of course I don't know all the specifics, but MORE THAN LIKELY the rod was "bruised" or dinged during storage or transport. Having spent several years in outdoor retail I've seen this many times. Defects in rods typically show up in the first couple of uses, so this in fact may be the case. Either way, St.Croix has a phenomenal service program and will take good care of you.
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/8/2009 11:58 AM (#364897 - in reply to #364889)

with all the great reports on the croix "legend" series from many many folks on this site (i own three of them myself and they are the only rods i use...they are sweet) you may want to even consider their "trade-up" program if you are going to send your premier to them anyway. they may give you close to full credit purchase price for your premier and add a bit and you can get a legend if you choose!

Edited by STUSHSKY 3/8/2009 12:00 PM
Esoxmtk
Posted 3/8/2009 1:21 PM (#364914 - in reply to #364874)

Sounds like a great company! Thanks for all the reply's.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 3/8/2009 5:08 PM (#364951 - in reply to #364874)

Isn't it true tho, that even if you DO have a warranty, you still have to shell out $30-$40?

Edit: That's why I love my Gander Mountain rods. I stepped on one once, and broke the guide. Took it back to the store and walked out with a new one, no questions asked.

Edited by JimtenHaaf 3/8/2009 5:11 PM
AFchris
Posted 3/8/2009 8:05 PM (#364996 - in reply to #364874)

PS....if you want you can also trade it in and upgrade. Sent one of my premier rods in for repair (plastic o-ring in 2nd guide came out). Called them up and decided to upgrade to a 7'9'' Legend Tournament. Needed a good spring rod for the lighter stuff. They gave me a good deal, took it out this weekend and I'm throughly impressed!
hammy129
Posted 3/8/2009 8:54 PM (#365001 - in reply to #364874)

I had the same thing happen last year with the first St.Croix I ever bought I contacted their customer service and in about a weeks time I got a brand new rod, the experience with these folks has been awesome. I now own a total of four of their rods.
Schuler
Posted 3/9/2009 8:15 PM (#365209 - in reply to #364874)

No matter what brand you buy, there are defective rods. Whether or not the rod is under warranty, they will replace it for a great cost. I broke an avid bass rod recently (my fault). I sent it in using their discount shipping program ($10) with a check for $50 and got the replacement today. The whole process took about a week. That is incredible service. If the rod broke due to a production issue, it is $20, rather than 50 for a replacement.
Muskmelon
Posted 3/11/2009 11:51 PM (#365703 - in reply to #364874)

I used to have rods break right where you describe all the time. Set a hook or cast a big bait and crack, they would explode. Found that my rod locker on my Lund has a curve that was rubbing on the front of rods over 6'. Started using rod socks religiously and have not broken a rod since. Just a thought. Check your other rods for boat rash, in the same location.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)