Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> castors and perkas

Message Subject: castors and perkas
handgunner
Posted 12/23/2008 3:37 PM (#351203)
Subject: castors and perkas

Just would like to know what bev's perka's and castors are worth. The ones that I have are 06's and one 05. I might try to sell a few and keep one or 2 for myself.
Thanks Mitch
Musky911
Posted 12/23/2008 3:46 PM (#351210 - in reply to #351203)
Subject: Re: castors and perkas

They are priceless.
Plunker
Posted 12/24/2008 10:31 AM (#351330 - in reply to #351203)

What are they?
CASTING55
Posted 12/24/2008 11:18 PM (#351416 - in reply to #351330)

How well do they work,or does everybody just collect them since they cost more than the average lure.Just wondering since I`ve seen some for sale on the forums,one bait is on there now for 70 bucks.
floydss
Posted 12/25/2008 9:41 PM (#351524 - in reply to #351203)

perkas are a very good bait. they work very well with little effort.
Beaver
Posted 12/25/2008 10:10 PM (#351532 - in reply to #351524)

Who says they cost more than the average lure? They might cost more than the typical "mass produced" lures, but I only make them as a hobby and have no intentions of trying to mass produce them, because I make them all by myself from start to finish. I keep the majority and sell some to friends and here on the board. After paint and envirotex went up twice in the last 2 years, I charged the inflated price of anywhere from $22.50-$30. Now Priority Mail Delivery Confirmation shipping is almost $9. Freakin good crankbaits are $20-$30.
Castors are probably more collectors because they were the first lures that I ever made, but Perkas in 8 and 10" catch fish every year. I'd pay and have paid over 30 bucks for other hand-crafted gliders for years, and don't think of it as over-pricing at all. Go pay 60-80 for HR's and tell me if they are worth it? I think so.
I ran out of blanks for Perkas last year, except for my own private use, and I don't know if there will ever be any available ever again. I'm heading in a different, more artistic direction using less paint and more wood characteristics to make custom gliders from exotic wood. Wood pieces that cost more than the cost of my old finished lures. But like I said, I do it for a hobby, and if any site users find them desireable and want to buy some, I'll have to figure the cost.
Did you check out my Cedar Rainbow? Guess how much I've been offered for that? It's definitely way more than regular lures, but some people place a value on lures differently than others.
I never considered my lures expensive or overpriced.
mota
Posted 12/25/2008 11:04 PM (#351540 - in reply to #351203)

i have no problem whit a hr at 60$ but i will never pay that price for a flat glidebaits
MuskieMike
Posted 12/25/2008 11:04 PM (#351541 - in reply to #351203)
Subject: RE: castors and perkas

I'll gladly pay 30$ for Perkas when I know they work The proof is in the pudding Bro! I netted this fish for Jeremy, She ate a 8 inch Perka.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(jeremy1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jeremy1.JPG (184KB - 91 downloads)
Pikiespawn
Posted 12/26/2008 12:53 AM (#351551 - in reply to #351541)
Subject: RE: castors and perkas

If anyone has any 8" (heavy) perkas that they dont want, please pm me. I could always use a couple more.
lambeau
Posted 12/26/2008 8:36 AM (#351571 - in reply to #351203)

Perkas are great baits, there's always at least one in my boat.
and a big part of the "value" is knowing that it was made by Beav...
CASTING55
Posted 12/26/2008 2:06 PM (#351619 - in reply to #351571)

I`ve never seen one for sale at 30 dollars,I was talking about the one on the forums for 70,by the way I wouldn`t buy a hughes river since I don`t like the bait.I have found better glide baits for just as much or cheaper than what they sell for,I like throwing gliders and have for some time now.If I can find a good bait I will pay alot for it,but for 70 bucks and never thrown one before,I will have to wait for a better deal.
Beaver
Posted 12/26/2008 9:04 PM (#351668 - in reply to #351619)

The one that is $70 came out of a batch of limited edition lures that I made. I had a set number of lure bodies, and did a set number of 3 colors, numbered and signed each one. Otherwise, I made Castors for a few months, and then changed to a harder wood and different blank design and started making Perkas in 2 sizes and never looked back. I'll make some of those again if I can get the blanks made. I'm going to put almost all of my time into a different glider, with no 2 being exactly alike. I can't wait to get started, but I might have to buy a whole wood shop, and I'm not ready to stick that kind of money into my new hobby...yet.
If you are looking for one to use, you want an 8 or 10" Perka. I'm hoping that my friend who made the bodies for me recovers from the cancer he's been battling so he can make me bodies again.
Some guys like HR's, me for instance, and some guys won't use flat-sided gliders for some reason, so I'll have to make fatter ones and round them off just for him There are lots of gliders out there, you have to find the ones that you like and learn to use them well. I've had some friends completely trash some gliders, and then get in a boat with them just to find out that they were working it way too aggressively to have it work correctly.
Watch for Perkas for sale here once in a while. When I make new ones, I have to make room in my tackle box.
Beav
Mikes Extreme
Posted 12/27/2008 11:16 AM (#351699 - in reply to #351668)

Who sets the prices on quality baits?

I believe a quality built bait is worth every penny because it will last. It will also keep catching fish because its built with quality not cheap stuff that will not last.

I have a bunch of Beavers baits and I love the action and durability of his baits. He is a perfectionist and it shows in his work. Keep up the good work Beav.........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)