Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Drag washers To oil or not to oil...

Message Subject: Drag washers To oil or not to oil...
jah1317
Posted 12/18/2008 9:18 AM (#350293)
Subject: Drag washers To oil or not to oil...

I have read two conflicting sides on this subject. Should your drag washers be clean and oil free or lightly oiled? I am sure there are some out there who can get me straightened out.

Thank you in advance,

Jacob
esoxaddict
Posted 12/18/2008 9:51 AM (#350295 - in reply to #350293)
Subject: Re: Drag washers To oil or not to oil...

Everything I have read and heard, incluuding input from guys who repair reels for a living says do NOT oil your drag washers. They should be clean, free of oil and grease.

That said, oil always seems to find its way in there, at least in small amounts. I've never had a drag fail from it, (that I know of) but I don't keep my drag locked down all the way, either.
curleytail
Posted 12/18/2008 10:15 AM (#350303 - in reply to #350293)

I have always heard that drag washers should clean and oil free also. I'm sure a tiny bit of oil leaking onto thm wouldn't make them worthless, but I would not TRY to oil them.

I do believe there is one kind of drag washers that you do oil, but these are a special order type deal, and not something we would find in a reel off the store shelf.

curleytail
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/18/2008 1:09 PM (#350324 - in reply to #350293)
Subject: RE: Drag washers To oil or not to oil...

Never put reel oil on drag washers, only CAL'S Drag grease or Shimano Drag grease, that is the only 2 drag grease that I know of. If you put grease on the drag washers you will have a smoother start up and if water gets in your reel it will repell the water from soaking in your drag washers. Go to www.smoothdrag.com and you find drag washers and grease for all reels made, I use CARBONTEX washers in all my reels with Cal's grease.
Schuler
Posted 12/18/2008 8:57 PM (#350417 - in reply to #350324)

PIKEMASTER - 12/18/2008 1:09 PM

Never put reel oil on drag washers, only CAL'S Drag grease or Shimano Drag grease, that is the only 2 drag grease that I know of. If you put grease on the drag washers you will have a smoother start up and if water gets in your reel it will repell the water from soaking in your drag washers. Go to www.smoothdrag.com and you find drag washers and grease for all reels made, I use CARBONTEX washers in all my reels with Cal's grease.

I 2nd that. A little oil will make it so your drag is very weak. But, carbontex drag washers with cal's drag grease are awesome.
hammy129
Posted 12/19/2008 7:18 PM (#350578 - in reply to #350324)

PIKEMASTER - 12/18/2008 1:09 PM

Checkout (tackletour.net) has tons of info, Richard has helped me a couple of times with some of my reel stuff he knows his reels. I personally use Shimano drag grease on all my reels can't comment on Cal's but, have heard great things. Good luck!
tomDP
Posted 12/20/2008 10:07 AM (#350642 - in reply to #350293)

I've tried both ways on my carbontex drags, and I seem to prefer dry instead of greased. Feel like I have more control over how my drag works. Jus tmy opinion though.
I do know some drag washers are not meant to be greased, some go either way and some must be greased. Do some research and you will find out.
Bobbler
Posted 12/22/2008 10:40 AM (#350890 - in reply to #350293)

I use cal's on the carbontex drag washers to but on the old style smooth washers on abu reels i think dry is the only way to go (but i have changed them on all my reels )
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)