Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> croix legend #1 vs. #2 vs. #3...

Message Subject: croix legend #1 vs. #2 vs. #3...
STUSHSKY
Posted 9/24/2008 11:12 AM (#337559)
Subject: croix legend #1 vs. #2 vs. #3...

i'm looking to add just one more "tripping hazard" in my boat to be used for both big plastics and db 10's and it is certainly going to be another croix legend! for those few out there who own the latest legend designed specifically for db 10's and the such, how does it compare to the legend swimbait blank LTBC80XHF @ 3-8 oz, which i own two of, one with a luna 300 w/80lb on for mid to slightly heavier baits and one with a low profile reel w/65lb on for lighter bucks and the such, and the big dawg TM86XHF @ 4-10 oz. which has been out for a while? i have heard from some that the big dawg is too stiff. if you had to choose between the big dawg rod and the new db rod which would you choose to use for both big plastics and db 10's? for those out there that have a better solution than a croix, go ahead and convince me! side note...for keith @ proedge...since you built my first two legends (thanks again since they have worked perfectly for what i use them for), do you have a comment on this as well since you will soon be getting a call from me?
thanks,
stan

Edited by STUSHSKY 9/24/2008 11:31 AM
Beaver
Posted 9/24/2008 11:38 AM (#337569 - in reply to #337559)
Subject: RE: croix legend #1 vs. #2 vs. #3...

I'd go with, and went with, the Tournament Legend 8'6" in Heavy or extra heavy. If you want it exclusively for big blade baits, go with the Heavy. That one throws lighter lures easier. If you are going to use it for rubber and other big lures, then go with the X-Heavy. That rod is really sweet. They designed it perfectly for throwing lures. It loads up on the cast better than any rod that I've ever used. It makes throwing heavy lures easier. Neither of these is too stiff. Great for casting, but tons of backbone and just enough tip for setting the hook and fighting fish.
Beav
STUSHSKY
Posted 9/24/2008 11:47 AM (#337571 - in reply to #337569)

beav...could you be more specific with the rod model / blank numbers that you are reffering to?
thanks
mskyhntr
Posted 9/24/2008 11:54 AM (#337573 - in reply to #337559)

G-LOOMIS STEEL by far the best blade blank out right now call thorne's and talk to Lonnie he will recommend either the steel 20 or 25. and their cheaper than the legend blank, and they would be custom made to your liking. I feel the legend bass blank is to light ( as in the rod is already loaded up on fast figure 8's and when really burning blades). I use this blank for smaller twitchbaits,topwater,reg dawgs etc. And secondly to me the Big Dawg rod sure has the backbone for blades and big rubber. But just doesn't have the tip to cast the blades well and also to keep fish pinned up because the tip is not that soft. I sold my big dawg rod and went with the steel after a long conversation with Lonnie and Luke R from thornes. I now have a steel 25 with a luna for standard retrieves, and a steel 25 with a trinidad for burning. The steel 25 can handle everything besides pounders and big suzies. And has a softer tip with plenty of backbone to give a solid hookset and a soft tip to help keep fish pinned.
STUSHSKY
Posted 9/24/2008 12:05 PM (#337579 - in reply to #337573)

thanks mskyhntr for your detailed reply. the softer top end is exactly why i prefer the croix swimbait blank with the two different reels / line weights on them. it is amazing to me how much a softer top-end adds to putting fish in the net vs. the stiffer rods i used to use! between those two they handle 95% of what i want to throw perfectly! the other 5% i have been throwing by hand the resistance of the bd 10's are too much for the swimbait blank though. still "on the fence"!
thanks

Edited by STUSHSKY 9/24/2008 12:11 PM
kawartha kid
Posted 9/24/2008 1:05 PM (#337585 - in reply to #337569)

Beaver - 9/24/2008 11:38 AM

I'd go with, and went with, the Tournament Legend 8'6" in Heavy or extra heavy. If you want it exclusively for big blade baits, go with the Heavy. That one throws lighter lures easier. If you are going to use it for rubber and other big lures, then go with the X-Heavy. That rod is really sweet. They designed it perfectly for throwing lures. It loads up on the cast better than any rod that I've ever used. It makes throwing heavy lures easier. Neither of these is too stiff. Great for casting, but tons of backbone and just enough tip for setting the hook and fighting fish.
Beav

X2 on this one,the two rods refered to here are the TM86HF sling blade and the
TM86XHF big dawg.
I would also follow suit with the heavy for blades and the xh for big plastic including pounders but if you are not going to throw pounders the heavy blank would be more than up to the task of throwing blades and plastic up to the size of a mag dawg.
I am going to be using my heavy for a dedicated big blade rod and my xh as a dedicated big plastic rod,if i didnt have the option to own both i think you would be better served with the heavy as long as you didnt intend to throw pounders on it but if you want the rod to throw blades as well as plastic including pounders i would go with xh.
I threw cowgirls and big plastic on my xh for almost two seasons and it did a great job,not perfect but adequate.A little heavy on the tip side when throwing blades.
If st.croix had not come out with the blade rod i would be still using the xh for said applications.
Now the decision is up to you but i dont think you will be disapointed with either rod.
Professional Edge
Posted 10/1/2008 8:11 AM (#338716 - in reply to #337585)

Hello all.

I spoke to a St Croix Rep a couple weeks ago about the new products from St Croix before I did a Muskie Inc presentation. There are a couple new things coming out this year but the one I am excited about is the heavy action Tournament. I have seen a manufactured rod with this blank and the action reminds me of the Diamondback heavy. This is going to be a very popular blank in the next couple months. The new redesigned Premier is also an exceptional rod blank. Do not confuse yourself with the old Premier.

Now your question about choosing the right rod. In my opinion the difference between the two baits you are talking about makes it hard to have one rod throw both. The XH allows for heavier baits but the rod does not have that soft of a tip for casting double blades. It does however have a nice tip for throwing heavy baits. Hope that makes sense. There are plenty of big bait rods on the market but there are not many that are not broom sticks. The DCG is not nearly as heavy and under prefect conditions requires a rod that has a softer tip for casting.

Couple things about St Croix that I think deserves to be mentioned and I am not a Pro Staffer. I pay for my stuff like you do. One is they have designed a rod (the Tournament Series) that has increased strength without adding material. To my knowledge there is no other rod blank on the market today doing that. They are a tough blank with very little weight. 6.4 ounces on the 86XH. Secondly it is American made. I think under the current conditions in the U.S.A. that is an important factor in choosing the right rod. Again my opinion, you can buy an American made product that is the best currently in the market today.

Hope the end of the season is going well with everybody. If the walleyes would stop biting on Leech maybe I could get some musky fishing in.

Keith
Steve Jonesi
Posted 10/7/2008 10:03 AM (#339619 - in reply to #337559)
Subject: Re: croix legend #1 vs. #2 vs. #3...

The Spee-Dee delivery truck just left! I have in my hands a 9' St. Croix Legend Tournament built by Frankie on the new "Sling Blade" blank. The gap is filled!!!! This rod fits perfectly between the swimbait and the Big dawg . I WILL catch a fish in the 8 on it in the next day or so. Very nice and of course Frank's work is impeccable.This rod will be a workhorse. Steve

"I got a fever....and the only prescription is .......MORE COWGIRLS"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)