Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Suicks - Hook question

Message Subject: Suicks - Hook question
muskyhunter34
Posted 10/5/2008 6:06 AM (#339274)
Subject: Suicks - Hook question

Hey guys, I never really have been a suick guy but i just caught a nice fish on one, and now i want all of them to "mostly work" I am playing with the tail, hooks, line tie, etc.

Well, it seems like every 10th cast, the hooks get caught up on each other. Are you guys changing hook sizes or split rings to combat this problem?

I am thinking about downsizing the center hook, but i feel like that may be the most important one. Let me have you little tips and tricks.

Thanks, Rob
Beaver
Posted 10/5/2008 6:54 AM (#339275 - in reply to #339274)
Subject: RE: Suicks - Hook question

I change the hooks so that they can't touch each other and I "T" them because Suicks have the worse top coat in the business. But, just like Reef Hawgs, many guys like the fact that the more they use them, the more water they take on and tend to rise slower or actually get neutrally buoyant. Go to round bend trebles that cant touch, or just use the belly hooks. I know some guys take off the rear hook and still catch fish, and claim that they get better action and eliminate fouling of the tail hook. But no matter what you use, if you keep your hooks good and sharp, you will have problems with hooks sticking in the side of the lure because of the lack of a decent top coat. I put a coat of Envirotex on all of my Suicks, and hooks getting stuck in the lure isn't a problem. You can you 5-minute or 2-ton epoxy and 'paint' the side of the lure with it after you remove the shine with some steel wool. Your Suicks will last longer if you do, unless they get eaten alot, which is the original purpose.
Beav
Posted 10/5/2008 1:42 PM (#339299 - in reply to #339274)

Not sure you need to change hooks. Maybe because mine are bent they don't hang up much. Or maybe they have lousey hooks on them now. I think I have 4/0 mustad 3551s on my 9" suicks. "T" the hooks for sure, and bend them open a bit so they don't hang up on the body so much.
MuskyFix
Posted 10/6/2008 11:11 AM (#339451 - in reply to #339299)

I still have some the older Suicks with no split rings, that don't bind and tangle as much, they have heavier hooks, the no split ring works very well, I would suggest to carefully remove the cotter pins and mount the hooks right on to the cotter pin, that should eliminate some of the tangled hooks and binding, but it's allot of work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)