Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shimano TE700

Message Subject: Shimano TE700
Mr Musky
Posted 9/18/2008 7:25 PM (#336865)
Subject: Shimano TE700

I've been looking at purchasing this reel soon but i'd like to get some feedback before I pull the trigger. Does anybody have any opinions on this reel? Im looking for something that ISN'T going to break on me in less then a year. Will it handle everything from standard sized bucktails up to the big double 13's and pounders? Or do you think I would be happier with the TE400 for these same applications? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Mr Musky
Mr Musky
Posted 9/18/2008 9:23 PM (#336895 - in reply to #336865)
Subject: Re: Shimano TE700

One other question, do you have to manually engage the lever after the cast on the 700TE?

Thanks!
muskie! nut
Posted 9/18/2008 10:01 PM (#336904 - in reply to #336865)

Here is what Paul Schlagel of Enduro Guide Service said about said reel.

I have something new to add to this thread. I started using a Shimano Calcutta 700TE a few weeks ago. Folks, I'm in love. This is the best reel I've ever used. Period. The best all-around reel ever made has been the Calcutta 400TE, and it's still probably the best reel for most people, but I personally am liking the 700TE even better. It's a bigger reel, which is why it's probably not for everyone. I got used to using the Garcia 7000 iCS Pro Rocket so I'm accustomed to a larger, heavier reel. The 700TE does everything the Pro Rocket does but does it 10x better. The ratio is fairly low, 4.7:1, so there's lot's of power for pulling the double-10 baits and others that pull hard. The monster-sized power handle helps too. But in spite of the low ratio, it still pulls in 31 inches of line per turn of the handle because of the larger spool size. So it has both speed and power, how can you beat that? Since it's a Calcutta TE, it is super silky smooth and expensive. In a previous post I raved about the reliability of the 400TE reels I have. I've had them five or six years and they have about a million hours on them and they haven't failed me even once. Ever. I expect the 700TE will probably be even MORE reliable. Since the gears and everything else on this reel is bigger and beefier I expect it'll be even less likely to fail. Like I said, it's a bigger reel than some people like, weighing in at 19.0 oz. That still a few ounces lighter than the Garcia 7000. The real drawback is the price. Maybe you'd better sit down. It's $389. This reel is a lifetime purchase, though. The ordinary musky angler won't wear this thing out in ten lifetimes of fishing.

According to the Shimano website the weight is 19 oz.
Phil
Posted 9/18/2008 10:36 PM (#336908 - in reply to #336865)
Subject: RE: Shimano TE700

Funny, I was just looking at this reel today. Not sure about re-engaging the reel after the cast. One thing tho... I think Shimano overrates the line retrieval on their reels. I had a 400 that I measured and I seem to recall it was at least a couple inches less than claimed, and yes I had it fully spooled. Then I look at the 700 numbers... 31". By way of comparison I have abu 7000's w/ 5.3 gears and I only get 27". Does the calcutta 700 really have such a big spool that it not only makes up for it's slower gear ratio but also beats a 7000 by 4"??? Before you say anything about "oversized, high efficiency gears" don't bother, that was made up by some marketing guru. Gear ratio is gear ratio. I like the specs on the 700, esp since the abu quality is a thing of the past. Also looking at penn 975, which is also built like a tank but little on the slow side. I'd be really interested if someone would go measure how much the shimano pulls in on 1 crank.
Mr Musky
Posted 9/18/2008 10:36 PM (#336910 - in reply to #336865)

That's too funny, this is the same post that got me intrueged about the 700 in the first place, So I figured i'd wait and see what everybody else had to say about it. But it hasn't really been mentioned at all this summer so I might go off this post and just buy the darn thing. Thanks Muskie Nut for copying this post and replying to my question! I appreciate it!

Mr Musky
Mr Musky
Posted 9/19/2008 4:13 PM (#336946 - in reply to #336865)

Thanks for your reply's (even though I see many missing now) I went ahead and ordered one.

Thanks!
Mr Musky
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)