Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Leader wire

Message Subject: Leader wire
Deeply Hooked
Posted 9/14/2008 8:02 PM (#336132)
Subject: Leader wire

Im going to start making my own leaders, if anyone has an opinion on what I should be using that would help me out...Thanks Kyle
beerman_98
Posted 9/16/2008 6:48 PM (#336444 - in reply to #336132)
Subject: Re: Leader wire

I start with Berkley ball bearing swivels and snaps 100# test bought at farm/fleet. The wire I use is salt water 250# bought from Reinke Brothers in Milwaukee. 125# test wire was to wimpy and kinked. Hope this helps.
Yake Bait
Posted 9/16/2008 9:39 PM (#336483 - in reply to #336132)

I prefer 90# Sevenstrand or Surfstrand. Simply tie a figure 8 knot to the terminal tackle and walla, you have a home made leader! Very easy to make on the water. Find somethign to hook onto and keep tension on the free end of the leader while you tie the knot on the hooked end. Use needle nose pliers to tighten the knot, pull towards the knot first to get the slack out of the knot, then pull back towards you to cinch, then clip off the excess.

My preference is the Sta-Lock snaps. They have a hoop that you run the barb of the snap through that really eliminates the chance of the snap from opening up under tension. They also seem to last forever. The #4 size works best for all around and the #5 for the heavy stuff.

If you have a pair of round nosed pliers, you can also make single strand straight wire leaders which work great for jerk baits and bucktails. 0.030" wire works great.

Flurocarbon is also an option. Just tie a power knot to the terminal tackle. This is where I started making my own lures which I stopped abruptly after having a fish bite through 90# fluro. Don't get me wrong, I had used fluro for about two years before this happened, but this was probably a 48 to 50" fish and I don't care to let it happen again.

muskie! nut
Posted 9/16/2008 9:40 PM (#336485 - in reply to #336132)

For solid wire I use .029 dia. wire for most applications. I use a quality swivel (if needed) and no snap. Just a loop at the end of the leader to a split ring to the nose of the bait. The split ring stays on the bait. If you would like a pdf format instructions on how to make single strand leader contact me through the Cap City web site www.capitalcitymuskiesinc.org I am listed under "club officers" on the left side of the page. Click on my email address for a link to me. This goes to anyone reading this as well.

Gerard
esox50
Posted 9/16/2008 9:42 PM (#336486 - in reply to #336132)

174 pound test American Fishing Wire. Supple, yet very strong. Can be found at just about any musky shop.
Performance_Tuned
Posted 9/16/2008 10:18 PM (#336492 - in reply to #336486)

If want to save some $$$ try going to a music supply store that carries piano
supplies. I think no. 12 piano wire is the same as 174 lb. wire and it can be had
really inexpensively. It makes a good WTD topwater and jerk bait leader. The only negative is it is shiny, though my store bought black ones ended up that way
pretty quick too. Hope this is helpful, Roger.
mseybert
Posted 9/17/2008 6:40 AM (#336522 - in reply to #336132)

174# for me too. I use a solid ring on one end and a #5 Stay lock snap. If it is for bucktails I use a #5 ball bearing swivel instead of the solid ring.
RyanJoz
Posted 9/17/2008 7:29 AM (#336528 - in reply to #336522)

I go 240# for extra stiffness. I found that my leaders don't kink nearly as bad using the 240# instead of the 174#.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)