Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> clear water tactics

Message Subject: clear water tactics
Posted 9/9/2008 7:52 AM (#335378)
Subject: clear water tactics

what is the best way to approach clear water lakes in Canada? lures, tactics, etc.
Posted 9/9/2008 9:10 AM (#335393 - in reply to #335378)
Subject: RE: clear water tactics

I would start by purchasing a copy of Dick Pearson's book and read and then re-read the chapter on Trout water.
I was on Crow Lake in Nestor Falls this year for three days and ended up with three fish up to 44". The rock bars with very deep water near by were the ticket. We caught fish and had strikes on rubber baits, topwater, and glide baits. Location was much more important than lure type. Don't forget to figure eight any follows no matter how lazy they look those Canadian fish can be awful dumb.
bobbie
Posted 9/9/2008 4:31 PM (#335462 - in reply to #335378)
Subject: Re: clear water tactics

I don't think fish in gin clear lakes are as spooky as most think . I say put on a BOBBIE or a SUICK and start fishing but don't try to force feed them . If you have a fish that follows 4 or 5 times but wont eat leave her alone, come back to her the next day .
Big fish only
Posted 9/9/2008 5:05 PM (#335466 - in reply to #335378)
Subject: Re: clear water tactics

I fish a gin clear lake and my tricks are
1. If natural colour lures arent working then go really bright and obnoxious
2. Either move it slow or very fast
3. Flouro
4. think deeper and rocks
5.Follow the bait
6. Hit the same spot if it looks good until it shows a fish or you catch one
7. Rubber baits and deepdivers are really good.

Good luck,
Alex
Almost-B-Good
Posted 9/10/2008 10:09 AM (#335534 - in reply to #335378)
Subject: RE: clear water tactics

Read Pearson's book for sure! Then read it again and again and again. When you know the next words of the sentences before you read them, then you are getting in the ball park of the midset you need. Start with that info and build on it.

Keep an open mind, because the fish can be doing things you won't suspect. Fishing by casting or trolling with your boat in 50 to 70 feet of water is nothing out of the ordinary on clear trout water. Speed kills, so if you have follows but no hits crank up the speed, especially on bucktails. Don't get discouraged, because the fish on the clear waters can easily turn off for multiple days at a time before they have a day or so turn on period. Hit it hard at low light and no light if you are able to do that. Hit it hard when you get some dirty weather blow in as it may be the only chance you get to fool one on a daytime figure 8.

Play the wind! If you don't get anything else from Pearson's book, remember that! I think that muskies first set up on the windward ambush areas of the structure and also cash in on the adjacent open water as the wind continues and open water baitfish arrive. Of course that's just my crazy idea, but it works for me. If you can conbine the wind with sun/moon rises/sets on prime structure your odds get much better.

Always driving lures deep when you could be running them higher is a trap to avoid. Those fish can see up a long ways and if they are interested they can come up from 20 feet or more below the lures with no problem at all. You get a feel for lure depths as you get experience on your lake. Take the depth you can see down, double it, and then you have the distance a fish should be able to see for locating your lure. If the catchable fish are on the thermocline at say 30 feet and can see up 24 feet you only need to be down 6 feet directly over their heads to be fishing them when they are active. But, you still need to run lures deeper, like 16 down over 50 feet if the fish aren't chasing. You just have to be willing to experiment.

Something else I noticed is time of day is often critically important, especially fishing suspended fish. If you get fish going at a certain time keep going back to that spot at the same time on following days. If conditions are similar you can really do well with that tactic. If you see suspended fish and you can't get them to go, keep coming back at different times till you figure them out.

That is pretty much my game plan on the clear Canadian water.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)