Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shimano Calcutta Rods?

Message Subject: Shimano Calcutta Rods?
guest1
Posted 7/24/2007 6:08 PM (#266911)
Subject: Shimano Calcutta Rods?

Anyone have any experience with these?
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/26/2007 8:38 AM (#267205 - in reply to #266911)
Subject: RE: Shimano Calcutta Rods?

guest1 - 7/24/2007 6:08 PM

Anyone have any experience with these?

I got a pretty good deal on a couple two years ago. Integrated them into my rods. They are very serviceable and have caught several fish on them, and action is fine.

My dislike, they have a smaller handle than what I would like. Too narrow a diameter imo. However, at the price I paid for them, I'm flexible.
prvteyez
Posted 8/21/2007 5:42 AM (#270903 - in reply to #266911)

I started fishing redfish tours this year and begun to upgrade my equipment. My best setup is a Calcutta 201TE GT on a Calcutta 6'6'' baitcast. I fished an event last month on a day with light winds and was able to throw this combo most of the day, I spool up with PowerPro 15lbs Phantom Red on this reel and threw a 1/2oz Red Ripper, after what I would say was an easy 1500+ cast and some really nice fish, I found I had little to no fatigue. The rod and reel combo let me cast into the 20 to 40 yard range with little effort, I am sure that if I free up the reel, back off the brakes, and put a little muscle into it 50yrds plus is in my range. The action is wonderful, and I could fell the fish mouth the baits like I've never felt before.

Last weekend I fished another event and low and behold 10min off the dock, the winds kicked up and I knew it would be a spincast kindda day. My partner and I threw rods in the $120 to $150 range with good well known spinning reels. We boated some real nice fish and again fished for eight hours. We both noticed right away the sore forearms, and when I woke up the next day my upper back was also sore. I then went to my local bait and tackle shop and compared the Calcutta with the rod I had used with the same reel and found that balance on the Calcutta was perfect and also it was lighter. I ordered three Calcutta spinning rods and two more baitcast, This is all I will fish with. when you have to have a strong, sensitive, light, quality rod you can't do an better than the Calcutta Inshore Rod.

Scott
Oak Grove, MN
Posted 8/16/2008 8:37 AM (#331677 - in reply to #266911)

thorne brothers in MN modifies the new 8' inshore calcutta's handle and it's a sweet rod for the double CC's! The Compre is a great cheap bulldog rod.
They bought them in bulk this year and are selling a ton of them.
NYmuskyhunter
Posted 8/16/2008 12:13 PM (#331692 - in reply to #266911)
Subject: Re: Shimano Calcutta Rods?

thorne brothers not only carries them, but are offering them at a deep discount as of yesterday. I think with phone orders there's no sales tax.

Randy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)