Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Is that a log or a rock???...Holy S!!t that's a fish" . Me to Tom after seeing the biggest fish Iv'e ever seen, in my 2nd hour ever on Vermilion.
- (Added by: 5th lake Brad)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> paint

Message Subject: paint
Asandir
Posted 7/16/2008 9:09 PM (#326821)
Subject: paint

Wondering something about airbrush paints. I have used some Createx paints on some Jakes, and finally got to test them out some. Paint don't seem to be sticking well. I used some spray can primer, and had roughed up the surface lightly before hand. I used some spray can clearcoat also, don't remember the brands, but was reading here and didn't think it really mattered. I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong that you can help me with to get a better finished product. I am using for personal use but would also like them to last a bit longer than a day. Any help or sugestions would be welcome.
h2os2t
Posted 7/16/2008 9:25 PM (#326823 - in reply to #326821)
Subject: RE: paint

Use the createx primmer and make sure it is dry (heat works) then clear coat. It is probably the primmer not compatible with the waterbased createx and does not stick.
Beaver
Posted 7/16/2008 9:35 PM (#326827 - in reply to #326823)

I learned a long time ago......find paint that you like and then get a primer that is made by the same company or at the very least one that you know will work with it. Same thing goes for the clear coat. I've made lots of calls to the R&D departments of paints that I use to make sure. Once you put it on, it better work or you will have trouble.
Now I use House of Kolor for everything except my primer/sealer, and I checked with their people to see what I should use because their primer/sealer had to be sprayed on, and I wanted to dip the lures. They told me what to use, even though it wasn't their product.
Everything that you use must be compatible.
rjbass
Posted 7/17/2008 9:31 AM (#326922 - in reply to #326821)

If you are using Krylon primer with createx there should be no problem, but I suspect your clear coat is not sealing. I don't know of a spray can clear coat that is tough enough to withstand musky fishing for five minutes let alone a whole day. Use Etex or Devcon after your paint is dry.

Rod
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)