Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 8 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Green Bay: Alarming trend...

Message Subject: Green Bay: Alarming trend...
tail dancer
Posted 2/15/2008 7:37 PM (#301363 - in reply to #285013)
Subject: RE: Green Bay: Alarming trend...

I live in the Tomahawk area, graduated from Point w/ a fish management degree. I 've also fished the Fox River for the last 16 years... And have known about the muskies and caught muskies on the fox and other Tributeries leading into the bay for the last ten years.
DocEsox
Posted 2/16/2008 9:49 AM (#301441 - in reply to #301363)

Tail dancer.....I agree with most of what you say. Have bounced around the musky boards off and on for several years and I love these guys.....they are some of the most dedicated fishermen to their fish than probably any group I know...perhaps the Trout Unlimited people are in the same category too. But there does seem to be a certain degree of myopathy in regard to anything but musky issues and spreading musky far and wide. I frequent many forums in the northeast besides the musky ones and the diehard musky fanatic is not being looked on with favor on most of these sites. And the overriding complaint is that "the musky diehards" give anyone even thinking about keeping a legal fish a hard time and especially belittle them if they actually come in with a legal musky.
And if the fisherman counters with the fair assessment that the fish is "legal" then many times they are regaled with a diatribe of how fisheries managers knuckle under to pressure and don't know what they are doing by allowing musky to be kept. This has really become the perception guys....it does not get you anywhere in the long run. Spreading musky to every body of water concievable is not a wise choice either, especially when getting them out of their native range but that seems to be the push of musky diehards.

The second most brought up point on "other than musky" fish boards is that there is agitation relating to the fact that no matter how often the minimum size for a legal fish increases....there seems to be an immediate expression of dissatisfaction from musky fishermen and a plea for yet a higher minimum size.
These are just my observations...I love musky....but I also try to understand others point of view and the ecology of the whole situation.

Trout Unlimited use to have a reputation in the west of being some elitist fly fishing group who wanted to impose their views on everyone else in regard to trout (again they have pushed complete C&R as an agenda for many waters....BUT not all). But over the past few decades instead of railing they actually got in and worked with local and state fish depts to improve, upgrade and restore native trout habitats. They don't push for spreading the fish where they never were originally but have won over many, including myself, with their embracing all science involved with their work for trout.....not just specific items that would push one agenda.

I will say due to the efforts of Steve Worrall and the people on MuskieFirst that it is possible to have a reasonable discussion on this topic without it getting very far out of hand. Zealousness needs to be channeled and not blindly dissipated....it will get you much farther in the end.

The Alaskan
whit65
Posted 2/17/2008 2:28 PM (#301661 - in reply to #301441)

Well TailDancer I definitely agree with your right to keep that fish, and your right to have a skin mount made of it, and I applaud you for putting the meat to use too. I don't want to get into the absolutes of you never should or whatever. I must say that I still don't understand keeping one if I know it's going to swim away and live to fight and eat and contribute to the fishery. Sure it might die later, sure somone might spear it, then again, a jet engine might fall off of a passing airliner and kill it too. Just nice to know that I was able to interact with that fish and release it to eat some more. Skin mounts don't last as long as replicas, and having seen both and had 3 replicas done, I disagree that skin looks better, just depends upon the artist working on it. Bad paint jobs happen on skin and on fiberglass.
I for one would not badmouth anyone for keeping, just saying I don't understand the need. It's quite possible that the next trophy that I catch and want to keep might not be revivable in spite of my best efforts, it happens. If that were the case, I'd keep and skin mount it, and eat the meat too. To me it's about the waste, and killing a fish that doesn't have to die just so that I can re-live the fight is not enough reason to me when I can get a repro for just a little more $$. In this sport, it seems cost must not be that big of a deal based on how much we all pay for baits, rods, reels, line, gas, etc. But again, to each his own, and I hate political correctness just for it's own sake. Fish on, taildancer, my best wishes and you might just hear from me some day for a recipe for that big musky that wouldn't revive, cause I will eat her!
W65
Tail dancer
Posted 2/23/2008 5:44 PM (#303377 - in reply to #285013)

Hey guys, I didn't mean to offend and I know there are alot great people on these boards. And I do promote catch and release and thinks its been great for all of fishing in general. I would think the majority of Musky fishereman do release and thats good! I skimmed this topic and have read alot different views and very civil. I just get sick of reading and hearing the very one side views of being mad and sick of seeing a musky kept or any fish. I really like what Reef Hawg had to say: "Educate, Promote, Create Awareness, and Don't Ridicule. Shake the hand of someone who kept the his/her trophy of a lifetime" We need to remember fishing is about catering to the needs of everybody, not just the trophy fisherman.

I really would like to see a tag system in place, that would be great. I grew up learning to fish muskies w/ my dad and he kept everything. And that was in the 70's and 80's. My mom likes to eat muskies, they were good baked. And that fish I kept, I gave all the meat to my mom. I don't frown on my dad for keeping fish, he taught me. I do promote catch and release to him and guess what it works!

I will tell you what, these fish will grow faster then Canada's Lakes. Plus the amount of forage in the system is phenominal. I thinks and hope the system can sustain the pressure, just look at the walleye population and the size.

Can't wait til spring!

tcbetka
Posted 2/24/2008 10:06 AM (#303466 - in reply to #303377)

I think there would be a lot of people in favor of a tag system for muskies. The problem is, enforcing it. It has been pointed out several times how one or two people that are especially good at targeting these big fish, could be responsible for the filling of many tags. For example, if a guy was a guide he could fill his tag, and (potentially) help many different anglers fill their tags as well.

So from everything I have heard from countless individuals over the last four months of working on this issue, if there could be a (set) maximum harvest number of fish harvested from the bay, there would be a lot of support for it. I am not sure how this would be enforced, but it might in fact hold some promise--it works for Sturgeon obviously, although I think the DNR has a far better idea of an accurate population estimate for that species than there they do for muskies.

TB

Edited by tcbetka 2/28/2008 7:27 AM
DRUMMER
Posted 4/11/2008 8:40 AM (#312775 - in reply to #285028)
Subject: Re: Green Bay: Alarming trend...

This is a very important issue one man's trophy is a nother man's nice fish.Alot of fish in a small area make's it to easy to over fish.Maybe to much trolling in a small area.I have heard the talk of raising the keep size to 54" that will pertect them to a point.But with the kind of preasure they are getting that is just a stop gap.Maybe total C&R in the Fox.If you want to troll for them troll on the Bay?I have ben trolling on the Bay for 2year's now they can be caught.Very simmiler to ST CLAIR>
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 8 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)