Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Dave Neuswanger & Kent Sorenson

Message Subject: Dave Neuswanger & Kent Sorenson
esoxaddict
Posted 5/5/2008 10:15 AM (#316729)
Subject: Dave Neuswanger & Kent Sorenson

I just wanted to take a second to thank you guys for taking the time to come on here and educate those of us who don't know anything about muskie biology. It's a pretty cool thing to have these two guys willing to share what they know here on MuskieFIRST, knowing that there's a risk they will be attacked by the armcair biologists and the great un-informed (and highly opinionated) masses who think they know better.

Seriously, thanks guys. Being able to ask the guys who "do it for a living" is one of the reasons I spend so much time on this site.

Jeff

Corey Meyer
Posted 5/5/2008 10:43 AM (#316740 - in reply to #316729)
Subject: RE: Dave Neuswanger & Kent Sorenson

I agree 100%, thanks guys, it is appreciated.

Corey Meyer
former biologist
Posted 5/5/2008 10:47 AM (#316741 - in reply to #316729)

While it only takes a carefully crafted "look" and alot of time on your hands to become a musky personality these days, these guys are subjected to 6-8 years of university training, constant peer review and daily public scrutiny of everything they do to be a biologist.

They do a great job, hats off to them as well.
Pointerpride102
Posted 5/5/2008 11:06 AM (#316746 - in reply to #316729)
Subject: Re: Dave Neuswanger & Kent Sorenson

Agreed! Although you head over to another 'musky and pike site' and you'd think these guys were the spawn of satan set out to destroy musky fishing as we know it!

As a future biologist (hopefully) I enjoy reading what these guys have to say and their reasoning behind things. Thanks.
sworrall
Posted 5/5/2008 5:18 PM (#316776 - in reply to #316729)

As always, MuskieFIRST also thanks all the working fisheries folks wo chime in now and again to plant us 'fools' more solidly in reality.

(Speaking of reality, the first person to cut and paste this line into the contest thread claims stuff for the 2008 Holiday SH.)
Dave N
Posted 5/6/2008 7:35 AM (#316824 - in reply to #316729)

Thanks to Jeff, Corey, Mike, and Steve for the words of encouragement. I'm sure I can speak for Sorno, too, in saying that a little recognition from a few thoughtful people helps to keep us motivated to do our best. The negative stuff from others simply goes with the territory.

And Steve, I know you were just being humble with the "fools" remark, but I want to be clear that I don't consider anglers with critical views to be foolish. I actually admire folks who are willing to stand up, risk ridicule, and ask uncomfortable questions that are on everyone's mind. (In fact, that's exactly what you, Slamr, and Lambeau did when we first started talking muskie genetics on this site.) There are lots of highly intelligent and well trained people out there who disagree with science-based policy not because they are foolish, but because they often don't know "the rest of the story." And that is no surprise, because it took me 6 years of specialized training and 29 years of field experience to get to my level of understanding, which is still incomplete. As long as smart, practical anglers are willing to ask polite questions and truly listen to the answers, people like Sorno and I should be able and willing to respond. We need allies in bringing about positive change; and information is power. We appreciate this site's professional moderation in making it possible to share information that will empower well-meaning anglers to work with us to conserve our special fisheries.

Dave Neuswanger
Fisheries Team Leader, Upper Chippewa Basin
Wisconsin DNR, Hayward

Edited by Dave N 5/6/2008 7:36 AM
esox50
Posted 5/6/2008 7:44 AM (#316826 - in reply to #316824)

I will also echo Jeff, Corey, Mike, former biologist, and Steve. Thank you gents for taking the time to educate the public on these issues. It is a step in the right direction, and as they say, knowledge is power.
MRoberts
Posted 5/7/2008 9:09 AM (#317013 - in reply to #316826)

I also agree what a great resource all these guys are. 10 years ago all us bar stool biologist could do was speculate what we thought based on our on the water observations. Now we can ask questions of the experts and truly learn. It’s so much better than assumptions and speculations. Of course it takes some of the fun out of “Bar Stooling”

Nail A Pig!

Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)