Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> split rings

split rings
OptionAdded byResults
worth extra heavy ( these are the same as bucher rings)h2os2t
wolverene triple coil springsh2os2t
whatever comes on the lure worksh2os2t
Spro are the best made IMHOuptown
Owner Hyper WireRiver_Muskies
Add your own option:

Message Subject: split rings
h2os2t
Posted 3/17/2008 6:59 PM (#307990)
Subject: split rings

My split rings are starting to get low and was wondering what most of you prefer. All opinions good and bad about your choice is appreciated.
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/17/2008 8:46 PM (#308019 - in reply to #307990)
Subject: Re: split rings

I've had to many of the triple split rings open up. In my opinion they are to soft and spongy... I have also experienced with a lot of them, that once you open them up, they don't close back together very tight...which might lead to it coming off the hook hanger. I bought like 4,000 bucher rings a while back and those are the ones I trust the most. The triples are nice, but they open up to easy and spread apart to easy in my opinion.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/17/2008 9:21 PM (#308036 - in reply to #307990)

Catching fish not volkswagons. Sometiimes I think we over do all the heavy-duty gear.
uptown
Posted 3/17/2008 9:32 PM (#308041 - in reply to #308036)

I agree with Mike. I have had a lot of triples open or twist free on fish. I use Spro #7 on my personal baits . I have never had a problem. They are very similar to the old Bucher split rings.

Joe
Trueglide.com
RyanJoz
Posted 3/17/2008 9:45 PM (#308043 - in reply to #307990)

The only Worth split rings I've opened up are with 3/8" solid braid rope and a farm clevis (home made lure retriever). It usually has to be hooked up to the transom to get them to open up. I have hurt my back many times with the 2x Worth rings.
bad brad
Posted 3/18/2008 8:02 AM (#308092 - in reply to #307990)

Spro's are tough cookies. Love em!
charlesb
Posted 3/18/2008 10:03 AM (#308120 - in reply to #308092)

spro #6 the best.
Chasin50
Posted 3/18/2008 10:15 AM (#308124 - in reply to #308120)

Where do you guys get Spros in bulk? They are too friggen pricey in the 50 packs... Thanks
The Handyman
Posted 3/18/2008 10:21 AM (#308125 - in reply to #307990)
Subject: RE: split rings

I like the Bucher greens which you cant get anymore( I do have a thousnd left !
But the bucher silvers are almost as good and I have started using those. Any bait with triples gets changed RIGHT AWAY!
Medford Fisher
Posted 3/18/2008 12:23 PM (#308157 - in reply to #307990)

Along with Mike, I trust the Bucher split rings most...but do not mistake these for the split rings that come on Bucher baits (Roberts Outdoors). Replace those right away; my buddy almost learned that the hard way; luckily he still got the fish. I have a pic of the bait/ring, but it must be back at school. If I remember when I get back, I'll post it on here.
Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/18/2008 6:20 PM (#308236 - in reply to #308157)

I wish I would have known about the triple's before the Ohio Show. I bought about $20.00 worth and have already put them on.
FishingFool
Posted 3/18/2008 6:50 PM (#308246 - in reply to #307990)

Where do you guys get the Worth split rings in bulk? Thanks,paul
MUSKYBOY
Posted 3/18/2008 6:52 PM (#308247 - in reply to #307990)

Bucher #7s work the best old (green) preferred or new (silver). I change out splits on most lures to these.
h2os2t
Posted 3/18/2008 8:33 PM (#308268 - in reply to #308246)

Paul - I buy them direct from Worth, 1,000 per pack. Usually 5,000 at a time. I believe the Spros (very pricey) are better but the Worth (Bucher) do not straighten before the hooks (not yet for me) do, so at what point is "enough is enough". That is why I started this poll to see how people feel.
Capt bigfish
Posted 3/18/2008 8:42 PM (#308271 - in reply to #308268)

Good poll Roger, I suggest using the heaviest split rings you can get away with. Duff
Joe T
Posted 3/19/2008 10:44 PM (#308476 - in reply to #307990)

Hi Guys;

My name is Joe Trattner. My brother Terry and I own Wolverine Tackle. A friend of ours alerted us to the issues you guys have raised here in the forum. First of all I'd like to apologize to anyone who has had any issues with our split rings. That really bothers us a great deal (we're fisherman too).

To be honest, up to this point we have heard no complaints about our split rings and it concerns us a great deal that you had a bad experience with our product. On the contrary we receive many emails from people expressing how much they like our split rings. Nevertheless, you had a problem and we'd like to apologize and make things right.

I was wondering if you could please share with me the following information:

1. The size (#3, #4, #5, #6, #7) and type you had problems with (i.e zinc/Nickel or Stainless Steel)?
2. Where you purchased the rings and approximate date
3. Are you sure they were Wolverine triple rings as we have been approached by someone attempting to sell us triple rings from China (ours are made in the USA).

4. If you have any rings remaining from the batch that were defective could you please contact me at [email protected] (or 630-289-4728). We would love to get our hands on them so we can test them and figure out what went wrong (possibly the heat treating was too high on the batch?). We'd certainly pay for shipping, refund your money and try to make things right in any way we can.

If you don't have any rings remaining but had issues, please also contact us and we'll gladly refund your money and try to make things right for you.

Again, please except our sincere apologies for your trouble.

Thanks very much - Joe

esox69
Posted 3/20/2008 9:40 PM (#308672 - in reply to #308476)

been using triple rings for 12 years now, haven't had a problem yet. i prefer the plated steel over the stainless tho, because they do retain their shape just a bit better. to those who did have problems, what size, and were they stainless or the plated steel? just curious...
steve
Mr Musky
Posted 3/20/2008 9:53 PM (#308679 - in reply to #307990)

I've used wolverine triple split rings as long as they have came out, i've used bucher split rings (green) as if that's what you call them they certainly aren't silver and I haven't had one problem with either both have been outstanding in my book!!! When I get the silver cheap no name brand split rings on new baits and im not sure what they are they usually separate and they get replaced real fast! You can always tell by the feel of your split ring pliers if it's a good one or not.

Mr Musky
RiverMan
Posted 3/20/2008 10:59 PM (#308704 - in reply to #307990)

Well, obviously I don't have the musky hours that Hulbert does but I will add that after using Wolverine rings on all my lures for about four years now I have yet to receive a single complaint about them.

Jed V.

Doug_Kloet
Posted 3/21/2008 8:28 AM (#308745 - in reply to #307990)

I have used wolverine triple split rings on my products for many years now and have never had a complaint. I use the #5 zinc plated and they are very strong. On my own baits with wolverine split rings I have also never had a problem.

Doug Kloet
http://www.muskymagictackle.com
Chasin50
Posted 3/21/2008 5:07 PM (#308858 - in reply to #308745)

I think there are some cheap tripples out there that people are assuming are Wolverine. I have used Wolverines for years on certain baits and have never had a problem. It seems like more and more of the high volume baits are using cheaper and cheaper rings. Pretty frustrating when you pay that much for a bait and the rings are all cheaped out... I just got some Drifter/ERC baits that had cheap tripples on them. I end up replaceing the rings on those baits to the chrome #7 worths, or the #7 Wolverines.

With the cheaper rings when you open them to put on a bait or a hook, they typically don't spring back nice and tight. They are either cheap steel or not tempered correctly.

Buy the brand names, and you will get what you paid for... Just my 2cents...
MuskieE
Posted 3/22/2008 10:15 AM (#308979 - in reply to #307990)

I second the wolverine rings they are strong and a great bunch of guys running the company!Terry is top notch so if you have a problem just let him know and he will take care of you!
Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/22/2008 10:15 PM (#309107 - in reply to #308476)

Joe T - 3/19/2008 11:44 PM

Hi Guys;

My name is Joe Trattner. My brother Terry and I own Wolverine Tackle. A friend of ours alerted us to the issues you guys have raised here in the forum. First of all I'd like to apologize to anyone who has had any issues with our split rings. That really bothers us a great deal (we're fisherman too).

To be honest, up to this point we have heard no complaints about our split rings and it concerns us a great deal that you had a bad experience with our product. On the contrary we receive many emails from people expressing how much they like our split rings. Nevertheless, you had a problem and we'd like to apologize and make things right.

I was wondering if you could please share with me the following information:

1. The size (#3, #4, #5, #6, #7) and type you had problems with (i.e zinc/Nickel or Stainless Steel)?
2. Where you purchased the rings and approximate date
3. Are you sure they were Wolverine triple rings as we have been approached by someone attempting to sell us triple rings from China (ours are made in the USA).

4. If you have any rings remaining from the batch that were defective could you please contact me at [email protected] (or 630-289-4728). We would love to get our hands on them so we can test them and figure out what went wrong (possibly the heat treating was too high on the batch?). We'd certainly pay for shipping, refund your money and try to make things right in any way we can.

If you don't have any rings remaining but had issues, please also contact us and we'll gladly refund your money and try to make things right for you.

Again, please except our sincere apologies for your trouble.

Thanks very much - Joe

Edited by Trolling Thunder 3/22/2008 10:19 PM
Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/22/2008 10:23 PM (#309111 - in reply to #308979)

Joe, Thanks for standing behind your product. I actually talked to either you or your brother at the Ohio Show. I feel better after your's and the other guy's replies. I have always heard good things about your rings, and it suprised me to hear of the problems. I think I have thrown out all of my bad one's, but I'll check.
I will call sometime next week. Thanks Again for standing behind your rings.
Joe T
Posted 3/24/2008 10:45 PM (#309559 - in reply to #309111)

Hi everyone;

This is Joe from Wolverine Tackle again. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. Entirely due to this thread we are testing samples from past batches to try and determine if there have been any breeches in our manufacturing process over the last few months.

There are a couple of points that I would like to make.

1. Chadster, thanks very much for your post. In all fairness to Drifter tackle if you encountered a bad ring please send that ring to me. WE DO provide Drifter with rings. I've personally met with the owner of Drifter and he is a good guy who very much cares about quality. He approached us for quality and quite frankly, his cost went up when he put on our rings. He, like us, refuses to do the China thing. So, if you encountered a bad ring, it is a problem with Wolverine Tackle and not Drifter tackle. Honestly, he cares as we do.

You are also correct in your post that if a ring is bad it could be because it was tempered improperly. That is why we are currently checking every part of the manufacturing process to make sure everything is still in spec. We produce tens of thousands of ring in a given month and its not beyond reality that something could slip through the cracks. We try really really hard to make sure that never happens but I'd be lying if I said it was impossible.

Anyway, you have our guarantee that from this point on my brother Terry or I will personally test samples from every batch that leaves Wolverine Tackle (over and above the normal testing). If we did have a hickup anywhere, again I apologize and we're more resolved then ever to make sure our product stays top quality.

2. Trolling Thunder, please do contact us so we can make things right with you.

Okay guys, Thanks for reading.

Joe

curleytail
Posted 3/25/2008 9:51 AM (#309614 - in reply to #307990)

Joe,
it's nice to see a company stand behind their product as much as you do. Thanks for the service!

cureytail
muskymeyer
Posted 3/26/2008 8:24 AM (#309782 - in reply to #309614)

I have used triple rings since before they were known by the public, and I have never had a problem of any kind with the rings. I worry about alot of things failing on a big fish (crane swivels, leader snaps, line, screw eyes) but I do not worry about split ring failure.

Corey Meyer
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/26/2008 9:23 AM (#309794 - in reply to #307990)

What Handyman said. That said, the rings that were(are?) used on Maina Jakes etc. about 6-7 years ago were some of the weakest rings I ran accross(dark colored single rings that looked similar to Bucher rings, but were not...). I am not sure if the same ones are still used, as I change them out as soon as I get the lure now. Split rings do make a difference, and failures with not-so-good-ones do happen. Use the best you can find, in my opinion.
Trolling Thunder
Posted 3/26/2008 8:35 PM (#309928 - in reply to #309794)

I just got off the phone with Terry. Wow! How nice to deal with people who still make their product in the U.S.A. and STAND behind what they produce! Wolverine get's my vote!

Edited by Trolling Thunder 3/27/2008 8:14 PM
sworrall
Posted 3/26/2008 11:11 PM (#309958 - in reply to #307990)

And mine, have used them for years. No problems at all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)